Advertise here

Advertise here
    Are they suitable? I feel like breeding them in my planted
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    both comes from differents parts.. apisto r softwater/acidic fishes and kribs r hardwater/alkaine... but i have seen some tanks with both, a side note, kribs are far more aggressive.. u gotta take note of that

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/7/2003 10:28:55 PM

both comes from differents parts.. apisto r softwater/acidic fishes and kribs r hardwater/alkaine... but i have seen some tanks with both, a side note, kribs are far more aggressive.. u gotta take note of that
    ----------------
    Ermm..sorry Simon, think you could've mixed them up with rift cichlids? Kribs actually belongs to the genus of Pelvicachromis and Nanochromis. These specimens are usually found in forest streams of the West African regions. Namely, Nigeria, Cameroon, Gabon, Congo Republic etc. Their requirements are similar to most Apistogrammas. pH range from 6.0 to 6.8. Just wanted to clarify, no offence.
    ''Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds.'' Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oops.. none taken shows that I can make mistakes too, very often

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I would agree wif simon that kribs are more aggresive, they are also bigger... and they breed easier too... So in a territorial dispute, I would place my bets on the krib. In all, I wouldn't advise mixing, but if your tank is large enough that they can have 2 seperate territories, you might be ok.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So allen do u keep krib and apisto together before? I never kept krib before but i do like to know to what extend which you refer to their aggrasion?
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what is your tank size?

tank setup?

fish density?

what are you gonna provide for the kribs?

it is possible.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/8/2003 11:03:37 PM

So allen do u keep krib and apisto together before? I never kept krib before but i do like to know to what extend which you refer to their aggrasion?
    ----------------
    it is not accurate to quantify fish aggression.
    because it is a function of many factors such as space, deco, tankmates.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That is why i want to know what does allen mean by it..anyway it's okay =)
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    As for my experience with kribs and apistos...

Well I had one krib and about 4 A.Nijsenni in the same tank before... it was definitely a bit small for the fish as it was a temporary holding tank (25G)... As for krib aggression, lets just say that this testy female was going out and trying to take on all 4 apistos 2 male 2 female at the same time... ended up quite satisfied when all 4 Nij were huddled together in a corner... Having said that, the Nij did try to assert themselves... but all in all, the bigger bulk of the krib coupled with the greater aggressiveness plus the advantage of being in the tank earlier gave the krib the edge.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ya i agree that we can catagorize a certain species, but certain species of fishes r much more aggressive.. so when we compare say a apistogramma to a krib... to my knowledge kribs r more aggressive, but given a large tank, aggression 'may' change.. even though, its possible, but I think having one species is a better solution?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it is a common situation with "thinking fish" (relative term) like cichlids.

they behave very differently in different settings.they can recognise tankmates and they behave differently in a social setting.

so at the end of the day, it will be difficult to provide character descriptions of fish except for general guidelines like "super aggressive"
    "very shy" which are generally observed of the fish.

when it comes to specific questions of compatability issues, it is better to compare with similar setups and experiences

there are just way too much exceptions to the rules.

I had not kept kribs and apistos before in the same tank.
    My only suggestion is to give the fish what they will prefer the most, and have a social balance in the tank.
    Kribs will like enclosed, dark cave structures. provide a distinct hidout for the apistos as far away from the krib cave as possible. give the apistos a good shelter they can back up against in case the kribs want to corner them. a wood with a narrow opening is good. Not too open or they will be easily chased away. need to provide a stronghold for weaker fish.

one common reason for fish being restless is because they have not found what they like in the tank. eg a proper territory/shelter.

you can also have larger peaceful fish as a deterent for the quarrelsome ones. cichlids are the best as they have the presence.
    for a planted, keyholes are good. and can break up the tension between just 2 species.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    tank size: 2ft
    Tank density: many wild guppies
    setup: very planted
    ph: 6.4

I dun intend to keep both together. But just one of them. Wanna breed them...
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face