4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Another moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Heres another nice and very dense moss, Genus is Bryum family but the i cannot identify the sp. There are many many sp of this Bryum moss.

Picture of it starting to pearl :

Last edited by bbpippen; 24th Dec 2008 at 11:25.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bbpippen View Post
    here are some new pictures of the moss after 3 months.

enjoy!

Think I found this during my malaysia trip visit!!
    a picture I took...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    hi bro, the pic you dont isnt the moss hyophila involutal, you got to magnify it under a microscope to see the real structure.

The picture of the moss you posted doesnt seem to form a rosette, so definitely not the one..

cheers

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oh..thought they look the same..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    oh..thought they look the same..
    yeah will look the same from the naked eye, especially if same genus.

but to differentiate the sp you will need magnification

Feedback Score
    Country
    Viet Nam
    The photo not clear but I think the same my moss that I collect in VietNam.
    Some pictures

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Scotland
    That moss is amazing, i would give my left hand to have some of this.
    kind regards,
    Louis Last

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by louis_last View Post
    That moss is amazing, i would give my left hand to have some of this.
    lol, you live in scotland ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Taiwan
    Here in Taiwan, we call Jade & Pearl Moss.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi bro, i do know taiwan has another sp of it. Its faster growing as compared to Hyophila Involutal. However the shape is slightly different, the jade or pearl moss is more rosy in a way.

But its still a very nice moss! thanks for the pictures bro

Feedback Score
    Country
    Taiwan
    Don't mention it.
    Here's another one which is called "Babybreath Moss" in Chinese translation .

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Scotland

Exclamation

lol, you live in scotland ?
    Yes I do and I am going insane with the frustration of seeing these pictures and knowing I'll never be able to get some samples because I'm so far away. I'll post some pictures of our Scottish mosses one day soon.
    Here is a quote from the forestry commision guidelines for collecting moss in Scotland

"Scotland is a biodiversity hotspot for mosses, with 87% of the UK's moss species and 60% of Europe's moss species, and as much as 5% of the world's mosses. Scotland is particularly important for peat bogs, or mires"

I have high hopes that I might be able to find some new species for the Hobby. I already have one Scottish moss growing well in my aquarium.
    Last edited by louis_last; 29th Dec 2008 at 22:54.
    kind regards,
    Louis Last

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes I do and I am going insane with the frustration of seeing these pictures and knowing I'll never be able to get some samples because I'm so far away. I'll post some pictures of our Scottish mosses one day soon.
    Here is a quote from the forestry commision guidelines for collecting moss in Scotland

"Scotland is a biodiversity hotspot for mosses, with 87% of the UK's moss species and 60% of Europe's moss species, and as much as 5% of the world's mosses. Scotland is particularly important for peat bogs, or mires"

I have high hopes that I might be able to find some new species for the Hobby. I already have one Scottish moss growing well in my aquarium.
    Hi bro ive been to scotland and gotten a few mosses from there, seems like the ones ive gotten are terrestrial ones. But i do believe that are true aquatic mosses that can be found in scotland.
    Two of the mosses ive found are Trichostomum brachydontium from scotland, edinburgh andBryum caespitosum.

If you want some hyophila Involutal, i dont mind sending some over to you.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by zip View Post
    Don't mention it.
    Here's another one which is called "Babybreath Moss" in Chinese translation .

Dear bro ZIP,
    this moss should be genus of Bryum family. sp wise im not that sure already.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Scotland
    Hi bro ive been to scotland and gotten a few mosses from there, seems like the ones ive gotten are terrestrial ones. But i do believe that are true aquatic mosses that can be found in scotland.
    Two of the mosses ive found are Trichostomum brachydontium from scotland, edinburgh andBryum caespitosum.

If you want some hyophila Involutal, i dont mind sending some over to you.
    If you ever find yourself visiting Edinburgh again you can find Fontinalis antypretica in the Water of Leith as well as one or two other aquatic mosses and liverworts I have not identified yet.
    It seems that most of our truly aquatic mosses and liverworts grow in very cold highland lochs but I remain optimistic that some at least will grow in warmer water, I intend to seek help from the Royal botanical gardens as i have some friends there.
    I would love some Hyophila Involuta, I have some excellent vivarium mosses I have been cultivating that i could send you in return or if you would prefer cash that works too.
    Last edited by louis_last; 2nd Jan 2009 at 21:50. Reason: additional information.
    kind regards,
    Louis Last

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    If you ever find yourself visiting Edinburgh again you can find Fontinalis antypretica in the Water of Leith as well as one or two other aquatic mosses and liverworts I have not identified yet.
    It seems that most of our truly aquatic mosses and liverworts grow in very cold highland lochs but I remain optimistic that some at least will grow in warmer water, I intend to seek help from the Royal botanical gardens as i have some friends there.
    I would love some Hyophila Involuta, I have some excellent vivarium mosses I have been cultivating that i could send you in return or if you would prefer cash that works too.
    i didnt visit any rivers when i went there, definitely hoping to see the mosses in Water of Leith. For my region, we dont really haf truly aquatic mosses. ill be glad if you could send mi some too

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12