Country
    Singapore

Help on dwarf hairgrass!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I have set up my tank close to 3 weeks ago with only dwarf hairgrass and weeping moss.

My tank setup: Gex substrate, CO2, 24W T5 light*3, 4 cooling fan, weekly dosage of nutrafin liquid fertiliser and flourish iron.

Until now, I do not see much progress in the plant growth. Some of the hairgrass are turning browish, but majority are still ok, but not growing much.
    The weeping moss are also browning at some parts, and I spotted some BBA on them, but majority are still ok. but no growth.

Is hairgrass and weeping moss slow growers? What can i do to solve this problem and increase their growth rate?

Please help!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    IMHO hairgrass and weeping moss are slow grower. I believe your aquarium is 2 feet right? With 24w T5(must be T5 HO) *3 and such slow grower plants, it must be quite a challenge to prevent algae from taking over your aquarium.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how big is your tank? if it is 2ft with 3x24W, you need to increase your fert dossing and CO2. Once a week dosage of nutrafin liquid fertiliser and flourish iron in my opinion isnot enough. I suggest you try estimate Index.

Not sure about weeping moss, but hair grass is fast growing plants. It may take a while to stabilize though.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Weeping moss is pretty slow growing. I find it pretty slow growing - comparing it to my spiky moss in the same tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a 2 ft tank with purely hairgrass.
    Setup similar to yours. GEX, CO2 but only 2x24 T5HO. I use wondergro though.
    It took a while for the hairgrass to acclimatise (around 1 week), after that it spread like weed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I have always encountered hairgrass to be erratic, growth has always been extremely slow for some of us but flourish like weeds for others.

You can google them on AQ if you are interested.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My hair grass isn't growing well also and like yakie's case some have even turned brownish. Could it be due to temperature? My tank water is about 28 degrees celsius on average and my 2 ft tank is supplied with CO2.
    Rendezvous With Destiny...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    maybe you can change your liquid fert.

i personally feel you don't need iron fert as your plants are not red.. maybe can change use an overall fertilizer like wondergro+ macro / micro.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
    My hair grass isn't growing well also and like yakie's case some have even turned brownish. Could it be due to temperature? My tank water is about 28 degrees celsius on average and my 2 ft tank is supplied with CO2.
    That might also due too converting from emerse to submerse. Did you see new leave coming out?
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by WiNd08 View Post
    maybe you can change your liquid fert.

i personally feel you don't need iron fert as your plants are not red.. maybe can change use an overall fertilizer like wondergro+ macro / micro.

In my opinion, any brand of fertelizer are the same as long as you dose it properly.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    That might also due too converting from emerse to submerse. Did you see new leave coming out?
    Did not see any. Worst, a lot of them have ripped out by either by my enterprising Yamatos or SAEs, both species of which are constantly at the bottom looking for food. As such, I have to re-plant the uprooted hair grass almost daily
    Rendezvous With Destiny...