Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Is Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia 'Singapore' native or introduced?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Is Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia 'Singapore' native or introduced?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Many species of cryptocorynes can be found in the wild in Singapore, many are probably introduced species by the nearby aquatic plant farms. Below are some photographic records which I took during my old field trips to just one locality in Singapore and I was not even into collecting cryptocorynes then!

A flowering C. ponterderiifolia

Probably C. wendtii, an introduced species due to its popularity.

Probably C. parva, an introduced species due to its popularity.

Maybe C. griffithii (a native species then) as I could see some tinge of redness below the leaves.

Just a wild guess judging from the leaves marking, maybe C. x timahensis (an endemic species then) which could really fetch high prices for the aquatic plant farmers nearby.

C. wendtii and C. parva are recorded to be distributed in the faraway land of Sri Lanka and because they are very popular aquarium species, my guess is that they are likely to be introduced. C griffithii and C. x timahensis (endemic in Singapore) are recorded as native species found in Singapore. What about C. pontederiifolia which is recorded as distributed in the nearby West Sumatra according to the crypts pages, could this have been a native species?

If I identified any of the species shown in the photographs wrongly, please correct me. Thanks.
    Last edited by illumbomb; 23rd Nov 2008 at 12:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    wow, where are the C. parva found? Since they are introduced, collecting them is actually a way to help the environment right

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi WiNd08,

The location is along the fringe of the Central Catchment Area so I can't confirm if it is out or in the nature reserve boundary. I will not recommend collecting these cryptocorynes from the wild unless you are rich enough and don't mind paying fines amounting maximum $50,000 and / or 6 maximum months jail term for removing flora from our nature reserve. These cryptocorynes will probably cost only $3 a pot in local fish shop (LFS).

Also, these cryptocorynes being introduced species are just my speculations due to the presence of aquatic plant farms nearby, no one can really confirm this unless someone ever caught the culprit red handed?!?! And who knows maybe they are actually native species too!!!!!

Regards,
    T S Wang

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    T.S., for what it's worth, Aquatic Plant Central mentions C. pontederiifolia as being naturalised in Singapore, so that points to it being introduced. Can't seem to find any other related information though. *shrug*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Quixotic for the lead!