Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: getting rid of staghorn algae, any good method?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

getting rid of staghorn algae, any good method?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Any good recommended ways to get rid of staghorn algae?

I saw some growth of staghorn on some rocks in my 2ft cube planted tank. The temperature is maintained at 24C, with a 150watt MH light shinning (4pm - 12 am). CO2 managed at about 120ppm. Good and healthy plant growth observed for this tank.

NO3: 5 - 10 ppm
    KH 6
    PH 6.2 (photoperiod)
    PH 6.7 (lights off)
    40% water change weekly
    Dosing almost full series of Seachem liquid fertiliser, dosage as recommended.
    Filtration: Eheim 2080, running through the chiller, then return back to tank.
    Fauna: 3 guppies, and numerous shrimps (about 100)

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Might be poor water circulation. I used to have a bad case of it and then added a power head improving the circulation to the affected area. It's been a week now and they are almost all gone.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I read about it and the net did says it's due to poor water circulation. I have since added 2 wave maker in the tank, running at different flowrate, at different interval.

But some of the staghorn still can be seen. Though it's just a little bit of them, and I need to look really close in to spot them. But I am wondering beside water circulation, is there any other possible causes for them to be around.

I would like to eradicate them totally as it is one of the ugliest algea in my opinion. I am just worried it might get out of hand if I did nothing now.

Feedback Score
    Staghorn algae often grows in response to urea compounds and otherwise high levels of organic waste. When I begin to see this branching grey algae in my tank, it is almost always a sign that I need to clean my Eheim canister filter.