Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: white spots : salt bath does'nt work, how?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

white spots : salt bath does'nt work, how?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hello

Pls help

At first, it was only one infected clown loach, now its the whole tank of rummies, cardinals, emperors, etc

I did not isolate the clown, but followed the salt bath reccommendations here ... i.e 1 tablespoon for every 20l.
    Since the salt bath of 4 days, the casualty increase from 1 to as many as 20.
    No fishes died yet.

What should I do now?

Continue the salt treatment, or change treatment. Any proven medicine? I am prepared to sacrifice some, but want to make sure I can save at least those healthier ones.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Benny! Don't worry...it will work...its just that the parasite needs to leave the bodies of your fishes in order for the salt to kill it. It will take sometime but absolutely no worries as I had that experience before. [] ...just keep up the salt content in the water if you do any water changes though.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    read this

as we r experiening cold and rainy weather currently i thk its wise to use heater in the treatment of white spot. do have a look at the above link for more information. hopefully ur fish will be fine in no time at all
    To each her own fish !
    petfrd

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks, I will keep watch

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hullo
    peter is right

when you see ONE fish kena, it means other fish are also infected
    just that that one fish shows symptoms more quickly than the others
    and when you see the others come down with it, you automatically assume the treatment doesn't work

at this point of time, a lot of people add extra stuff, medicines to try to cure the disease
    no
    keep with the old regime and it'll work

btw, when i hear salt 'bath' i think of taking the fish out and soaking it for 15 min before replacing it in the tank
    that's how it's normally used

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    At first, it was only one infected clown loach, now its the whole tank of rummies, cardinals, emperors, etc
    ----------------
    Do you know why your fish are coming down with Ich? If you know the reason, it may help you to find the cure.

Usually Ich appears in new fish added to the tank. An outbreak could also appear if you made some changes to the water parameters. Even washing your filter too clean can cause Ich to appear. The Ich is always in your tank. But usually they won't infect healthy fish. If all your fish are infected, it would probably mean there's something wrong. There could also be something in your tank that is stressing the fish. Stressed fish will succumb easily to Ich too.

As far as I know, salt baths won't work well in a planted tank. It would take a lot of salt to kill the Ich parasites. Raising the temperature helps but that can only break the Ich parasite's breeding cycle; it can't kill those already on your fish.

In order for salt baths to work, you will have to remove the fish and transfer them into a hospital tank with very clean but aged water. I know that's easier said than done as catching fish in a planted tank can be one hell of a job.

Why don't you try medication? I breed many fish so I'm always trying out new brands of medicine in the market. I bought a bottle of Anti-velvet medicine the other day and it worked like a charm. The brand is NIKA and I bought it from Mr Fish of Joo Chiat Place. I'm quite sure the brand must have an anti-Ich medicine too as Ich is a much more common fish disease than velvet.

Just remember not to overdose.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/11/2003 10:39:23 PM

Usually Ich appears in new fish added to the tank. An outbreak could also appear if you made some changes to the water parameters. Even washing your filter too clean can cause Ich to appear. The Ich is always in your tank. But usually they won't infect healthy fish. If all your fish are infected, it would probably mean there's something wrong. There could also be something in your tank that is stressing the fish. Stressed fish will succumb easily to Ich too.

As far as I know, salt baths won't work well in a planted tank. It would take a lot of salt to kill the Ich parasites. Raising the temperature helps but that can only break the Ich parasite's breeding cycle; it can't kill those already on your fish.
    ----------------
    generally correct
    the reasons why you have ich in your tank is most likely from from fish stock
    if you have ever successfully eradicated ich, it will NOT come back unless reintroduced
    ie, your fish can be in bad shape, but they won't get it if you have managed to cure it before
    all your fish ARE infected
    no doubt about it
    healthy fish are also carriers of the parasite
    it's only when the fishes' immune systems get weakened that you see obvious symptoms

salt in planted tanks works
    1 tbsp per 20l is the recommended dosage
    i've gone up to 3 tbsp per 20l for chilodonella, but ich won't need it

increasing the temperature is very subjective
    1. increase in temp, decreases oxygen level, which could stress the fish if your tank is heavily populated
    2. increasing the temperature without going to the critical point where the ich dies is only going to speed up their life cycle. this equates to more infection unless you have something in the water to kill the infective stage (tomites)
    3. nothing can kill the ich already in the body without killing the fish. not salt, not meds, not temperature increase

basically, i find salt to be less invasive than meds for the purpose of treating fish
    whatever course you go, avoid methylene blue/malachite green
    very bad for the health of your tank

good luck with the ich

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    does itch leads to fin rot. I saw some fin rot in my angels.

Since all my fishes are already infected, do u mean the only course for them is "death".

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Benny, don't worry. the spot will drop off your fishes. Your fishes should recover if you correctly continue with your current salt treatment. You will see the results in 1 to 2 weeks time. I had a bad outbreak sometime ago. It took about 1 month to treat. some of weaker fishes did not survive but most of them are ok now. good luck

I don't think that white spot will lead to fin rot as a matter of course. However, if your fishes are suffering both from white spot and fin rot, i suspect that there may be sometime wrong with your water quality. Better check it. I would do more frequent water changes (maybe 20% about every 2 to 3 days) for a while, but do remember to top up your salt after every change. the more experience guys here would be better placed to pinpoint the problem for you.