Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: Which Filter you prefer most?

Voters
384. You may not vote on this poll
  • Classic

160 41.67%
  • Ecco

49 12.76%
  • Pro

35 9.11%
  • Pro2

79 20.57%
  • Pro3

61 15.89%
Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Eheim Canister Filter Comparison

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Eheim Canister Filter Comparison

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    So I can toss out the black rolls in my 2 filters and replace them with Substrat Pro too?

Matrix is sure hard to find.Cant get them in Y618 and now C328 too.
    -50 assorted normal Platies, 12 assorted Corydoras, 30 Ember Tetras and 14 Kuhli Loaches in a 90 x 45 x 50 tank.(Eheim Ecco Pro 300)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Yes, of course you can.

BTW, I saw Nature Aquarium at Thomson Road sells Seachem Matrix in small bottles. You can check with them if they have bigger one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    Yes, of course you can.

BTW, I saw Nature Aquarium at Thomson Road sells Seachem Matrix in small bottles. You can check with them if they have bigger one.

Ok,I will go down to Seaview to check tomorrow for the prices.

I am interested to use Matrix cos Seachem claimed that Matrix is much more superior to SubstratPro.

I don't mind using either both as long as it promotes or even enhances the water quality of my tanks.
    -50 assorted normal Platies, 12 assorted Corydoras, 30 Ember Tetras and 14 Kuhli Loaches in a 90 x 45 x 50 tank.(Eheim Ecco Pro 300)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

You can go to Petmart at Serangoon North to check too. They have almost everything there. Cheers!

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=p...#istate=kp:xpd

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    You can go to Petmart at Serangoon North to check too. They have almost everything there. Cheers!

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=p...#istate=kp:xpd

Thanks Jacky.....I got my 4 liter of Matrix at Seaview today for 60 bucks after discount.

My wife is thinking of asking me to consider setting a marine or a South American style of tank with a few discus as the main stars should my 11 Ryukins uplorry someday.Will the Ecco Pro 300 be enough to be the life support system of the tank and it's residents?
    Last edited by RenesisTurbo; 8th May 2016 at 22:30.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by RenesisTurbo View Post
    Thanks Jacky.....I got my 4 liter of Matrix at Seaview today for 60 bucks after discount.

My wife is thinking of asking me to consider setting a marine or a South American style of tank with a few discus as the main stars should my 11 Ryukins uplorry someday.Will the Ecco Pro 300 be enough to be the life support system of the tank and it's residents?
    I think it depends on the size of your tank and size & number of your fishes. You can go to http://aqadvisor.com/ to check the stock for reference.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Guys, you are seriously getting out of topic.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If I were to switch to another Eheim filter for my gang of 11 Ryukins,which model is suitable for them?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

In principle, one should get the biggest filter one can afford, with the main consideration being the amount of turbulence a particular size of tank can comfortably tolerate with a particular filter model under consideration. A bigger filter with a huge volume media capacity acts like a 'bigger engine' with sufficient 'reserve horsepower' to handle increased loads. in this regard, however, flow rate does not equate with filtering power. It is media capacity that matters. A huge capacity filter but with a less powerful motor is fine, since water toxicity does not increase drastically in a short time but gradually over days or weeks.

PS> Nothing beats a sump installation.
    Last edited by tetrakid; 18th May 2016 at 07:15.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If I were to switch to another Eheim filter for my gang of 11 Ryukins,which model is suitable for them?
    Maybe can consider a filter model with larger sponge and media capacity, helps trap more waste and process it more effectively, doesn't get clogged up as quickly too. Like perhaps a Classic 2217 (6L filter media volume, double that of the Ecco Pro 300). If the flow is too much, just install a tap to reduce the flow, while still being able to utilize the higher filter media volume.

Ultimately it all still depends on how much food you feed and how much waste your ryukins produce, versus the filter efficiency and how extensively you do maintenance and water changes. You will know if the filtration and/or maintenance schedule is not enough when the water becomes foul easily or the livestock get ill and die over a period of time... those are signs to improve the tank conditions.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, this is the how the Classic 250 looked when I did not change/clean the coarse foam filter pad and
    filter pad for about 1 year and 4 months.

20160410_122034.jpg

My tank is 2 feet, quite satisfied with its performance, quiet and keeps the water
    clean. Though I wished I bought the next bigger model as I feel the flow rate is not
    strong any more due to growth of my plants over the months.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by toolkit View Post
    Hi, this is the how the Classic 250 looked when I did not change/clean the coarse foam filter pad and
    filter pad for about 1 year and 4 months.

20160410_122034.jpg

My tank is 2 feet, quite satisfied with its performance, quiet and keeps the water
    clean. Though I wished I bought the next bigger model as I feel the flow rate is not
    strong any more due to growth of my plants over the months.
    I wouldn't have cleaned it too, as I figure the accumulated dirt itself functions as an effective media for bacteria. Thus, cleaning off the dirt will mean a reduction in media capacity overall.

Like I said before, reduced flow rate is not a problem if the filter's bio-media capacity is adequate for the tank. On the other hand, a high flow rate or throughput is pointless if the media is not up to it.
    Last edited by tetrakid; 19th May 2016 at 18:41.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For really long operation, having a pre filter is ideal in that the main canister filter which houses the filter media is kept undisturbed where as the pre filter canister is regularly maintained. The most longest operation I've got was 2 years and the main canister filter was caked with biological stuff or mulm. This was a 2ft cube planted tank with small fishes and shrimp. The pre filter canister was serviced when I noticed the flow rate decreased. Main canister filter was 2222 and the pre filter was 2211. Both was 2nd hand acquired, I decided to serviced the 2222 as it started leaking. If I was not wrong, the impeller for the 2222 was swapped for the 2224 ones I think.

Unfortunately this set up is long gone, I still have the 2211 but the 2222 was sold to a planted tank enthusiast who uses 4 x 2222 in his 3ft tank. 2 pair setup connected in series. He had tried connecting 4 x 2222 in series but found that the water felt funny to the touch, his observance, not mine. He then change his canister filter connection to pairs instead of all 4 in series.

My ideal setup is to use the 2217 + 2215. For small tank, just swap the 2217 impeller for a lower classic canister filter impeller like the 2215 or 2213.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Another tip is to have the classic canister filter as a spare and use it as an alternative to a vacuum cleaner. Stuff it with those cheap filter wool and attach it to a longer inlet and outlet hose, with quick release valve and the installation set for easy priming and you are set to go! The quick release valve will help to disconnect the hose separately while the installation set can be dismantled into smaller separate component for easy storage.

For easy priming, take the inlet side of the installation set attached to a hose and a quick release valve at the end of the hose, close the valve and fill it with water. Connect this to the canister filter, place the inlet end into the tank water, below the water line and attached the valve to the canister filter. Connect the outlet hose to the canister filter, best to have another quick release valve here too and switch the tap to open position. Once all is connected, then you switch the quick release valve on the inlet side to the open position and let gravity do its job.

You can take your time to suck away detritus from your tank with this setup. You can actually use a water change period to accomplish this but sometimes, you removed too much water before you removed all the detritus from the tank. I did this for my marine tank. My thought is that, on some occasion, when the water parameter is just right, a water change might alter the water parameter, making you to have to adjust it again.

With this setup, you can directly access the dead spot area of your tank to manually remove detritus, uneaten fish food and fish waste. After you finish with the process, throw away the clogged cheap filter wool, rinse the canister filter interior and keep it for storage until another cleaning period is called for. Or if you have friends or relative who share the same hobby, you can loan your set to help them. You can store your entire vacuum cleaner canister filter set in a small container or even an old travel luggage case with wheel for ease of convenience. Keep this in your store room or under the bed, score points with your partner or parents!

In the event if there are dispute, just take a photo of your set before loaning it out. This will clear any doubt over missing items or damage. Helps to maintain your relationship with friends or families. Good to feel needed.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by BFG; 21st May 2016 at 08:05.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Great posts from bro Mo. Bagus! Like!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My friend is starting a tank (90cm x 45cm x45cm) with only just 8 Ryukins in the tank.

He is thinking of using the Eheim Biopower 240 internal filter.Is this suitable for the goldfishes?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My friend is starting a tank (90cm x 45cm x45cm) with only just 8 Ryukins in the tank.

He is thinking of using the Eheim Biopower 240 internal filter.Is this suitable for the goldfishes?
    Can use... just have to do more manual waste removal, tank/filter cleaning and more frequent water changes to compensate for it.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I just went with him to C328.Seems like the model is not available...Is it a new product?

What other fish shops in SG that carry the Eheim filters besides the usual places?Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What other Eheim internal filters can he use for the goldfishes?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I guess any other eheim model can work... how effective it is depends on how much flow and media it can utilize. Generally, less flow and less media = less effective, and vice versa.

There are also other brands of internal filters (both euro and china brands) that could do a similar job too, have to check around.

Maybe you can check at the larger LFS like Seaview, they usually have alot more filtration equipment in ready stock (compared to the smaller LFS like C32. You'll probably have a much higher chance to get a suitable filter from there.
    www.urbanaquaria.com