Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: Which Filter you prefer most?

Voters
384. You may not vote on this poll
  • Classic

160 41.67%
  • Ecco

49 12.76%
  • Pro

35 9.11%
  • Pro2

79 20.57%
  • Pro3

61 15.89%
Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: Eheim Canister Filter Comparison

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Eheim Canister Filter Comparison

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    1. Both tank need an overflow system that will feed into a sump . From the sump , the filter output will be split into 2 display tank .

2. I think the model you saw was a heater built in , not a chiller .
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    If you are looking at the XLT eheim canister filters, those come with integrated heater feature (not chiller). The temperature adjustment is only for warming up the water to 18-34°C... it does not perform cooling effects.
    There is another interesting method to share one canister filter with 2 tanks, but that requires a water bridge setup... both tanks are positioned side-by-side on same level, water bridge link both tanks, canister filter output in the 1st tank and intake in the 2nd tank. The water bridge would need to be large enough to keep the volumes in balance though, especially with large tank volumes and high flow canister filters.

Here is an example: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...4-Water-Bridge

Water bridge info: http://www.bio-elite.co.za/waterbridge.htm

A diagram from google images:

Source: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...-tanks.231687/

The potential issues with such setups is if the water bridge somehow fails or clog up, then water volume will become unbalance and one tank will fill up until it floods. Due to the arrangement, one tank will also have lots of flow while the other tank not much flow (though that can be solved with wave-makers or powerheads).
    Thanks bro BFG & UA for sharing.

Then i feel the 1200XLT is redundant as i dont need heater function in our hot environment.

Its really creative suggestions proposed but i prefer the tank to be as spacious as possible

Today went Y618 to check out the pro3 600. Wow its really bulky compare to visualizing from sea view shelving.

Just wonder if the pro3 600 sufficient for a 3/4 ft tank? Gonna link with a chiller and sun sun prefilter recommended by both senior previously.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Vainkid View Post

Then i feel the 1200XLT is redundant as i dont need heater function in our hot environment.

Its really creative suggestions proposed but i prefer the tank to be as spacious as possible

Today went Y618 to check out the pro3 600. Wow its really bulky compare to visualizing from sea view shelving.

Just wonder if the pro3 600 sufficient for a 3/4 ft tank? Gonna link with a chiller and sun sun prefilter recommended by both senior previously.
    Yeah, most people locally will go for the non-heater versions... unless they really need something integrated which keeps their tank warmer like discus tanks.

I'm currently using a Pro3 600 for a 4ft tank, its sufficient filtration for a moderate bio-load, but if you were to link it with a chiller and pre-filter then the overall flow rate will decrease quite a fair bit. In such a case, if you have a densely planted tank which requires more circulation, then you might need to install an additional wave-maker or powerhead to help cover possible deadspots.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, most people locally will go for the non-heater versions... unless they really need something integrated which keeps their tank warmer like discus tanks.

I'm currently using a Pro3 600 for a 4ft tank, its sufficient filtration for a moderate bio-load, but if you were to link it with a chiller and pre-filter then the overall flow rate will decrease quite a fair bit. In such a case, if you have a densely planted tank which requires more circulation, then you might need to install an additional wave-maker or powerhead to help cover possible deadspots.
    What if i dont use chiller?

What if i get the 1200xl instead? Whats the price differences?

Thanks bro ua

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

What if i dont use chiller?

What if i get the 1200xl instead? Whats the price differences?
    If no chiller, then the reduction in overall flow rate wouldn't be as much.

A 1200XL would generate alot more flow, and could sufficiently compensate for the flow reductions from pre-filter and chiller. It'll just cost more, though i'm not sure about the pricing. I guess you'll just have shop around and check at the LFS.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quite bulky and not easy to get it back home on the bus but quite effective for my 203 liter tank.

Water flow could be controlled and filter media could be customised as well in the 4 trays instead of using the original Eheim ones.
    -50 assorted normal Platies, 12 assorted Corydoras, 30 Ember Tetras and 14 Kuhli Loaches in a 90 x 45 x 50 tank.(Eheim Ecco Pro 300)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If no chiller, then the reduction in overall flow rate wouldn't be as much.

A 1200XL would generate alot more flow, and could sufficiently compensate for the flow reductions from pre-filter and chiller. It'll just cost more, though i'm not sure about the pricing. I guess you'll just have shop around and check at the LFS.
    Thanks bro. Will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by RenesisTurbo View Post
    Quite bulky and not easy to get it back home on the bus but quite effective for my 203 liter tank.

Water flow could be controlled and filter media could be customised as well in the 4 trays instead of using the original Eheim ones.
    Agree bro. Cant imagine the size of 1200xl instead if the 600. Maybe a size of the bin? :P

Read alot of positive review of eheim canisters hence decided to settle down with that. Just torn between the flowrate due to the addons. Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Best thing is you can strip off some original attachments and add on some parts like air diffuser and prefilter onto your Eheim units.I did so for my Ecco Pro 300.Kept my Pro 3 in stock conditions though cos the Installation parts 1 and 2 comes with a rain bar which is good enough for all my fishes.Tried fitting a power diffuser but ended up creating a tsunami in my tank and stressing all the small fishes.

My aim is to always make life better for my lifestock and looking to change or add certain parts to my units to improve their lives.
    -50 assorted normal Platies, 12 assorted Corydoras, 30 Ember Tetras and 14 Kuhli Loaches in a 90 x 45 x 50 tank.(Eheim Ecco Pro 300)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hold on .

If you are getting a large canister filter , I would suggest a larger prefilter too ! If the prefilter is too small compared to the main canister filter , the flow might be limited when going through the prefilter and into the large canister filter . Its like drinking with a small diameter straw like the ones that came with the Yakult or Vitagen drink as compared to using a large straw , something that can fit those ball jelly thingy drinks . I hope you can understand my point , me am on night shift so quite sleepy , forgotten what the drink name is , the one with the jelly ball in it .
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hold on .

If you are getting a large canister filter , I would suggest a larger prefilter too ! If the prefilter is too small compared to the main canister filter , the flow might be limited when going through the prefilter and into the large canister filter . Its like drinking with a small diameter straw like the ones that came with the Yakult or Vitagen drink as compared to using a large straw , something that can fit those ball jelly thingy drinks . I hope you can understand my point , me am on night shift so quite sleepy , forgotten what the drink name is , the one with the jelly ball in it .
    Are you referring to bubble tea?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hold on .

If I am not wrong,there is only one prefilter that is available from Eheim right?

It is round and black in color?The one that looks like a soft drink can?I have that fitted on my 2236.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for sharing Bro RT and BFG. Will take note and start a journal for my first tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for sharing Bro RT and BFG. Will take note and start a journal for my first tank.
    You are welcome,I am also quite new to Eheim.....I only got to know about this German brand 11 years ago when I visited Qian Hu after I grew dissatisfied with using their Ocean Free hang-on filters.Since then,apart from a break from fishkeeping from 2008-2014,I used Eheim Pick-Up internal filters and 2213 Classic filter.When I was doing some research on Eheim filters,I was amazed to see so many new canister filters from Eheim like Ecco Pro and Pro 3 when I mulled over the idea of keeping fishes again in 2014 after getting my BTO.Got 2 new fish tanks with the Ecco Pro and Pro 3 soon and here I am today.....continuing the love affair with breeding and keeping fishes.

BTW,does the Pro 3 600 have the biggest flow rate among all the Eheim filters?Before I got my Pro 3 600,someone advised me to get the Fluval FX6 as their flow rate is double of the 2075.Did not get it as it was quite expensive and unwilling to venture into a brand that I did not know much of.
    Last edited by RenesisTurbo; 29th Jul 2016 at 00:09.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

BTW,does the Pro 3 600 have the biggest flow rate among all the Eheim filters?Before I got my Pro 3 600,someone advised me to get the Fluval FX6 as their flow rate is double of the 2075.Did not get it as it was quite expensive and unwilling to venture into a brand that I did not know much of.
    Well, there are eheim filter models that have even higher flow rate than the Pro3 600, for example... the Pro3 1200XL @ 1,700 l/ph and the monster-sized Classic 1500XL @ 2,4000 l/ph (aka the green dustbin).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Well, there are eheim filter models that have even higher flow rate than the Pro3 600, for example... the Pro3 1200XL @ 1,700 l/ph and the monster-sized Classic 1500XL @ 2,4000 l/ph (aka the green dustbin).
    So if I were to grow an interest in aquascaping one day,is the Ecco Pro 300 or Pro 3 600 suitable for it?

Is it very common for people in Singapore to use the Pro 3 1200XL or Classic 1500XL?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So if I were to grow an interest in aquascaping one day,is the Ecco Pro 300 or Pro 3 600 suitable for it?

Is it very common for people in Singapore to use the Pro 3 1200XL or Classic 1500XL?
    Depends on the dimensions and volume of the tank, just have to pick the right filter model to match the tank size.

I do know of a number of chaps using those larger high-flow filters models, usually they are running the larger 4ft-6ft tank setups which require the much higher flow rates and larger media volumes (at least amongst those not already running sump tank setups).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ACG View Post
    Are you referring to bubble tea?
    Yes , thats what I've forgotten .

Also , using a 2nd hand Classic canister filter and remove the impeller and voila , instant prefilter ! Maybe a 2215 or even a 2217 too !
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Depends on the dimensions and volume of the tank, just have to pick the right filter model to match the tank size.

I do know of a number of chaps using those larger high-flow filters models, usually they are running the larger 4ft-6ft tank setups which require the much higher flow rates and larger media volumes (at least amongst those not already running sump tank setups).
    Hi UA, is it alright if I were to use 2 canister filter instead of getting the (green dustbin)?
    Example a 3ft + 2ft tank with Ecco Pro 3 and Pro 3 600.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi thats what im considering too. Maybe two 600s is more economic than the dustbin and save quite some space?

Anyone know the price for 1200xl and 1500xl?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I rather to have 2 canister filters than 1 dustbin.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Hi guys, may I know roughly how long the bacteria can survive when filter stop running? There is upgrading work in my HDB now and they will have power cut about 2-3 hours. I am worried that will affect my bacteria colony later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk