Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: Which Filter you prefer most?

Voters
384. You may not vote on this poll
  • Classic

160 41.67%
  • Ecco

49 12.76%
  • Pro

35 9.11%
  • Pro2

79 20.57%
  • Pro3

61 15.89%
Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546 LastLast

Thread: Eheim Canister Filter Comparison

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Eheim Canister Filter Comparison

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    2-3 hours should not be an issue as long as the media remains in the cannister that is filled with tank water for that duration.
    Need something to scratch that itchy hand of mine.

Don't act smart. Be smart!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by mincedmeat View Post
    2-3 hours should not be an issue as long as the media remains in the cannister that is filled with tank water for that duration.
    Thanks mincedmeat. Ya, the canister filter id filled with tank water during the power cutout. I feel peace in mind now. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    Hi guys, may I know roughly how long the bacteria can survive when filter stop running? There is upgrading work in my HDB now and they will have power cut about 2-3 hours. I am worried that will affect my bacteria colony later.

Ask for the contractor to supply a power line into your home , I did that before and they accomodate my request .
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Ask for the contractor to supply a power line into your home , I did that before and they accomodate my request .
    Oh. That's a good idea. Thanks BFG!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am thinking of getting a pair of shut off taps for my Pro 3 600 just like what I have on my Ecco Pro 300.

Do most users fit the shut off taps on the Pro 3 models?Is it really necessary?

The C328 aunty told me there is no need to fit the shut off taps on the Pro 3 cos can just pull the hoses out during monthly servicing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I thought of get the taps for my CO2 Atomizer

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RenesisTurbo View Post
    I am thinking of getting a pair of shut off taps for my Pro 3 600 just like what I have on my Ecco Pro 300.

Do most users fit the shut off taps on the Pro 3 models?Is it really necessary?

The C328 aunty told me there is no need to fit the shut off taps on the Pro 3 cos can just pull the hoses out during monthly servicing.
    Both the Ecco Pro 300 and Pro 3 600 already come with their own in-built shutoff taps, you don't need to buy additional taps separately.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So the function for controlling the outflow in the Pro 3 also serves as a form of a shut off tap?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So the function for controlling the outflow in the Pro 3 also serves as a form of a shut off tap?
    Yeah, its essentially an integrated tap system to control the flow and also to shut it off completely, then you can unlock it and remove the entire adapter unit for maintenance.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,May I check if we have to replace the pieces of white wool and the prefilter sponge in our Eheim units from time to time?

I replace the white ones with those ownself cut pieces of aftermarket white filter wools every month during maintenance and have been using the original prefilter ones provided by Eheim.

The prefilter sponges had not been changed though.

I understand that we use tank water to wash the filter media during maintenance but what kind of water do we use to wash the white wool or prefilter sponges?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,May I check if we have to replace the pieces of white wool and the prefilter sponge in our Eheim units from time to time?

I replace the white ones with those ownself cut pieces of aftermarket white filter wools every month during maintenance and have been using the original prefilter ones provided by Eheim.

The prefilter sponges had not been changed though.

I understand that we use tank water to wash the filter media during maintenance but what kind of water do we use to wash the white wool or prefilter sponges?
    The white filter wool traps fine particles very well and its impossible to clean out all the dirt trapped inside it, therefore it has to be replaced regularly otherwise it just clogs up more and more. I also change them during every filter maintenance session too.

The pre-filter sponge is easy to clean completely and can be re-used many times, so its not necessary to change it unless its breaking apart. The pre-filter sponges in my filters have been in use for 3+ years and still okay. I only change them when they start to flake bits.

As for washing the filter media and sponges, you can also use dechlorinated tap water to wash them too.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Hi All, may I know if the old bio media filter media effect the nitrate level in the tank? There was the time that nitrate level in my tank dipped to 0ppm and now it is measured about 40ppm+. Is this the sign to replace partially bio media filter?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I guess if you are expecting nitrate level don't bounce back, then likely that:
    - your plant consumed all nitrate as long as it is available
    - you dont feed ur livestock so no poop/ waste
    - ammonia/nitrite never converted to nitrate by the bb
    - you are not dosing fert
    What i'm trying to say seeing nitrate level shoot up should be normal and likely ur bb is working good. So why nitrate level bounce back again could indicate there has some change recently (provided u get 0 ppm nitrate consistently over a period of time).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, old bio-media wouldn't be the cause of increasing nitrate levels, on the contrary it shows that the seasoned bio-media is working well and housing sufficient beneficial bacteria to convert all the excess ammonia into nitrates. If the bio-media wasn't working, you will see ammonia levels spiking up instead (which indicates not enough beneficial bacteria to do the conversion process).

Rising nitrate levels mainly indicate an accumulation of waste in the tank over time which generate ammonia and nitrates that the existing plants aren't able to use up as quickly as before, hence the gradual increase in nitrate levels. Its a typical effect in most tanks which have been running for a while. This is just a sign to clean the tank and filter more often, do more water changes, reduce bio-load/feeding and increase the density of fast growing plants to soak up the excess nutrients.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Any recommendation for a prefilter for Eheim Pro 3 600 that will not affect the flowrate of the filter...?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Thanks DreamerX5512 and Urban Aquaria for your advice. I might do more water change and filter cleaning in order to control Nitrate Level build up at higher level.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ryangiggs View Post
    Any recommendation for a prefilter for Eheim Pro 3 600 that will not affect the flowrate of the filter...?

I am using one for my Ecco Pro 300.But it can be also used for Pro 3 600.

Maybe you can go to Clementi Florist(C32​8 and ask for Eheim Prefilter(Model No: 4004320).Costs $19 apiece.

4004320.jpg
    -50 assorted normal Platies, 12 assorted Corydoras, 30 Ember Tetras and 14 Kuhli Loaches in a 90 x 45 x 50 tank.(Eheim Ecco Pro 300)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    Hi All, may I know if the old bio media filter media effect the nitrate level in the tank? There was the time that nitrate level in my tank dipped to 0ppm and now it is measured about 40ppm+. Is this the sign to replace partially bio media filter?

It might be a cycle effect . Live rock in salt water tank has a cycle in the waste management area whereby at one point they are consuming the nitrate until they could not and it burp out the excess . A spike would indicate in a high level reading and the algae would consume it then . Reefer would sometimes notice a growth in algae volume but measuring using test kit might show only slight rise in the level . The algae growth is the indicator that the tank has excess nitrate .

It is possible to keep a record of test kit reading from phosphate and nitrate level and deduce when the cycle peaked and lower . But its up to the dedication of individual to do it as the cons are the cost of test kit involved . Also , everything else must remain the same when you start on this path as changes in the tank might affect the test kit reading .

Hope this helps !
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Thanks BFG. My tank so far does not have algae issue. Touch wood. So I think it is more on control of feeding amount and water change regime to keep nitrate at desire level. One good thing is I do not need to dose extra Nitrogen in the tank for the moment.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am using one for my Ecco Pro 300.But it can be also used for Pro 3 600.

Maybe you can go to Clementi Florist(C32​8 and ask for Eheim Prefilter(Model No: 4004320).Costs $19 apiece.

4004320.jpg
    I've recently picked up one of these. They're quite good, especially in the tank where I feed zucchini and cucumbers to my plecos. Great at filtering out the larger pieces of wastes and food too