Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: Which Filter you prefer most?

Voters
384. You may not vote on this poll
  • Classic

160 41.67%
  • Ecco

49 12.76%
  • Pro

35 9.11%
  • Pro2

79 20.57%
  • Pro3

61 15.89%
Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Eheim Canister Filter Comparison

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Eheim Canister Filter Comparison

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    No harm using it... but if you are running a planted tank with active soil substrate and fertilization, then it may absorb some of the good nutrients that are meant for the plants, so it could be abit counter-productive.
    Ok, one last thing is I am using beneficial bacteria from Ocean Free and is 5 days enough for me to recycle my tank? I spotted some nice sailfin mollies and platies at Seaview and hoping to get them this Sunday.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RenesisTurbo View Post
    Ok, one last thing is I am using beneficial bacteria from Ocean Free and is 5 days enough for me to recycle my tank? I spotted some nice sailfin mollies and platies at Seaview and hoping to get them this Sunday.
    Usually those bacteria solutions create a temporary cycle to help handle the bio-load of fishes added to brand new tanks... the tank itself still needs time to grow and maintain a stable long-term natural beneficial bacteria population (which may be different from the bottled bacteria). That usually takes a few weeks to establish, so you'll still need to monitor the water parameters to ensure the conditions are kept stable during this time.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just want to ask....I fixed up my Ecco Pro 300 2 days ago and I was not sure about how to place the J shaped outlet bar.Can I submerge the bar in the water or hang it on the width of my tank by using the suction clip?Is there a spray bar for Ecco Pro 300?

Anyone has any pictures on the placement of the inlet and outlet bars?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just hang it on the side of the tank and use the suction clip to hold it in place.
    "L" plate gardener

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just hang it by the side and use only 1 suction clip right? How to go about cleaning the part where the impeller is?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just want to ask....I fixed up my Ecco Pro 300 2 days ago and I was not sure about how to place the J shaped outlet bar.Can I submerge the bar in the water or hang it on the width of my tank by using the suction clip?Is there a spray bar for Ecco Pro 300?
    Yes, the J-shaped outflow pipe mouth is submerged into the water... can also be halfway or slightly above the water level (if you prefer more surface agitation). The suction cup for the outflow pipe is positioned outside the tank to hold it in place.

You can buy spray bars for the filter too, most LFS usually stock various spray bar designs and lengths which are compatible with it.

Btw... since you are using a canister filter, consider switching to glass or acrylic lily pipes, looks way better.

Anyone has any pictures on the placement of the inlet and outlet bars?
    Typically, the outflow and intake pipes are placed next to each other on one side of the tank, that creates as circular flow pattern which covers most of the tank area.. here is a diagram (just imagine the original green pipes instead of the lily pipes):

Source: http://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=...h-planted-tank
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yes, the J-shaped outflow pipe mouth is submerged into the water... can also be halfway or slightly above the water level (if you prefer more surface agitation). The suction cup for the outflow pipe is positioned outside the tank to hold it in place.

You can buy spray bars for the filter too, most LFS usually stock various spray bar designs and lengths which are compatible with it.

Btw... since you are using a canister filter, consider switching to glass or acrylic lily pipes, looks way better.

Typically, the outflow and intake pipes are placed next to each other on one side of the tank, that creates as circular flow pattern which covers most of the tank area.. here is a diagram (just imagine the original green pipes instead of the lily pipes):

Source: http://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=...h-planted-tank
    So it is one suction cup holding the outlet bar on the outside of the tank and another one holding it from the interior of the tank right?Or both suction cups holding the outlet bar from the exterior of the tank?
    Last edited by RenesisTurbo; 17th Oct 2014 at 14:50.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So it is one suction cup holding the outlet bar on the outside of the tank and another one holding it from the interior of the tank right?Or both suction cups holding the outlet bar from the exterior of the tank?
    The J-shaped outlet pipe only need one suction cup put outside of the tank to hold it (can use 2 if you want it to be more secure)... there are no suction cups to be placed inside the tank for the outlet pipe.

Here is an example (the suction cups are all outside, much neater):

Photo from google images.

But if you use spray bars, then the suction cups have to be inside the tank to hold it horizontally in place.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ok thanks bro.....How do you clean the impeller housing?
    Last edited by RenesisTurbo; 17th Oct 2014 at 15:23.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ok thanks bro.....How do you clean the impeller housing?
    Just remove the impeller housing cover, pull out the impeller, then use a brush to scrub clean all the parts.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Just take note not to lose the black rubber that is holding the white shaft at the filter head area when you're rinsing out the dirt.
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just want to ask....I had my Ecco Pro 300 for 2 months and I removed the thin black sponge and white sponge. Replaced with a piece of aftermarket thick white sponge.Also put 2 packs of Seachem Renew but my water outflow seems to be getting weaker than it was when I first bought it.When I first started up the 300 after I bought it,the water outflow was quite strong.

Did monthly cleaning of the impeller housing,hoses and the filter media but the outflow was so weak that I had to add an air pump in order to provide aeration for my livestock which consists of small fishes like platies,corys,tetras and Bossman's rainbows.How to go about solving this problem?

Or should I change to the Pro 3 series like Pro 350 and 600?My tank's capacity is 121 liters.
    Last edited by RenesisTurbo; 27th Nov 2014 at 23:30.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just want to ask....I had my Ecco Pro 300 for 2 months and I removed the thin black sponge and white sponge. Replaced with a piece of aftermarket thick white sponge.Also put 2 packs of Seachem Renew but my water outflow seems to be getting weaker than it was when I first bought it.When I first started up the 300 after I bought it,the water outflow was quite strong.

Did monthly cleaning of the impeller housing,hoses and the filter media but the outflow was so weak that I had to add an air pump in order to provide aeration for my livestock which consists of small fishes like platies,corys,tetras and Bossman's rainbows.How to go about solving this problem?

Or should I change to the Pro 3 series like Pro 350 and 600?My tank's capacity is 121 liters.
    Is the aftermarket thick white sponge more dense than the original fine filter wool pad? The added thickness and density will usually contribute to slowdowns in flow rate, as the water encounters more resistance flowing through it.

The 2 packs of Seachem Renew may also be blocking flow, as they are in small granule form, they may get too tightly packed and restrict flow.

Perhaps try reducing the thickness of the aftermarket white sponge and remove some media to give the renew granules more space to "tumble" and allow water through, hopefully that can help restore the original flow rate.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes,the aftermarket white sponge is twice or thrice as thick as the original Eheim one.But will the reduced outflow of my Ecco Pro 300 affect the health of my livestock?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes,the aftermarket white sponge is twice or thrice as thick as the original Eheim one.But will the reduced outflow of my Ecco Pro 300 affect the health of my livestock?
    Maybe can just use a pair of scissors and cut it horizontally to half the thickness, that might help. Also check that the white sponge is not over-clogged with trapped particles, that also affects the flow rate.

Reduced outflow just means lower turnover rate, so the tank's water isn't filtered as often... i guess if your bio-load is moderate and the reduction of flow is not too much, it should be okay. Though its still best to adjust the composition of filter media to optimize the flow rate for maximum filtration efficiency.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I think it is important to find out the root cause of the slowed flow rate because the filter might be put through too much stress, which may damage it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just asking.....What's the general view of the Pro 3 Limited Edition? Anyone using that for your filter here?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I just got the Limited Edition of Pro 3 600...Besides cleaning the impeller housing, rinsing the hoses, inlet and outlet pipes,filter media with the tank water, the filter media trays and the canister itself, are there any more parts to wash during monthly maintenance? Do I need strip down the powerhead as well?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I just got the Limited Edition of Pro 3 600...Besides cleaning the impeller housing, rinsing the hoses, inlet and outlet pipes,filter media with the tank water, the filter media trays and the canister itself, are there any more parts to wash during monthly maintenance? Do I need strip down the powerhead as well?
    Its not necessary to dismantle the motor itself for cleaning (its not exposed to water anyways),... just cleaning all the other parts you mentioned is sufficient, and more than enough work to do.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Okay....You seem to know a lot about Eheim filters haha.I asked around Y618 and C328 about the leaking problems regarding the Pro 3 Limited Edition and the bosses told me that so far there seems to be not much complaints on that area or any defects.Both the florist and Y618 shops seems to have satisfied customers who bought the 2075 models.