Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Plants not pearling like before

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    When I first set up my tank my plants used to pearl a lot,especially the riccia.But lately I notice that the riccia has not been pearling as much,only a few tiny bubbles.Growth for other plants is pretty slow too.

Checked the following equipment:

The T5 lightset I am using is only 2 months old(24W X 4).It can't be the lights I guess.I've cleaned the plastic cover too.Still no difference.Don't tell me it's time to change bulbs.

The biggest clue I have right now has something to do with my filter/external CO2 reactor.The filter's flow rate has been very poor lately.Like pouring water out of a cup (this is no joke),with or without the external CO2 reactor set up after I did some tests.Maybe it is not as efficient because it cannot 'drive' the CO2 reactor well due to the flow rate problem?

It's a Hydor Prime 20 and it's supposed to be at 650 litres/hr.I remember clearly when I first bought it the flow rate was much much stronger.It's only 2 months old too.

Recently I did nothing to the filter but changed some media inside,to be specific the wool.I've taken apart the whole thing and cleaned/reaasembled it two times but the flow rate is still the same.Wonder if there's anything wrong with it.

Or is it the CO2 reactor itself that's giving problems?

I really hope someone can help me out here.

Many thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How long was it since the last filter media cleaning?
    In my experience, I found that there was improved pearling and growth after I clean the filter about every 3~4 months. Remember to wash the filter with the tank water and not tap water.

Pearling also improves after water changes.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I just cleaned the filter sometime last week.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    maybe there is something stuck near the impeller that is slowing it down??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i got this problem too,i start a 2 footer tank 3 weeks ago and have most of my riccia shifted from my 3 footer to the 2 footer tank to form a foreground, and it stop pearling,can't see a single bubble at all on other plants( my lighting are 2 x 55watts PL light, wonder is the wattage are correct for a 2 footer base on a 3wpg.

riccia in my 3 footer tank was pearling and all the plants are bubbling after 3 hours of light on ( lighting are 4 x 39 watts T5HO)

can it be that the PL lights are not strong enough to penetrate to the bottom of the tank or might be my filter are to strong for my tank , is a jebo external canister connected to a external reactor.
    any professional bro here please advise.
    Regards
    Robin Tan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    I don't think that's because of your light.
    cause your lighting is very powerful. IMHO PL is even better than T5HO in term of light
    intensity. In my experience , the red plants get even redder by using PL then say T5 or T5HO and HC really crawling.
    Maybe you've got to many aeration or how 'bout your fert regime?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm,maybe it's the CO2 distribution/concentration?

By chance,I recently changed my filter (the flow rate is higher compared to the old filter) and used a CO2 diffuser instead of a reactor.Strange enough,the problem seems to have been solved.My riccia is pearling like normal now,and my other plants are doing well too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Good,another problem solve

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by blink_willie View Post
    Hmm,maybe it's the CO2 distribution/concentration?

By chance,I recently changed my filter (the flow rate is higher compared to the old filter) and used a CO2 diffuser instead of a reactor.Strange enough,the problem seems to have been solved.My riccia is pearling like normal now,and my other plants are doing well too.
    well done bro, can i know what is your co2 dosage ( how many bps ) and your water temp in your tank.( presently i'm dosing about 5bps and my water temp is 25 to 27 when degree )
    look like i need a 100% overhual this sunday
    Regards
    Robin Tan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by EKI View Post
    I don't think that's because of your light.
    cause your lighting is very powerful. IMHO PL is even better than T5HO in term of light
    intensity. In my experience , the red plants get even redder by using PL then say T5 or T5HO and HC really crawling.
    Maybe you've got to many aeration or how 'bout your fert regime?
    hi bro,
    i,m using lapis sand and without any base fert, i only shaft in root monster where my rooted plant are,they are growing very well but it does not want to pearled and bubble compare to my 3 footer tank, as for the riccia it does not need any base fert cause it is not ground to the substrate, i only add liquid fert every 3 days.
    thank for your humble and wil note your advise btw i'm doing a 100% overhaul this sunday and see whats the outcome.
    Regards
    Robin Tan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My CO2 dosage is around 3-4bps and my water temp is 30 degrees!Ever since my cooling fan my cooling fan went to heaven a week ago or so.It used to be 27.5 to 28 degrees before that.