Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Fundulopanchax gardneri (Blue form)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fundulopanchax gardneri (Blue form)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

Darren Lum, my good friend and colleague, sent me this picture of his Fundulopanchax gardneri which he thinks is the blue form of the N'sukka. I have quite a few of such fish in my tanks too but haven't got around to taking their pictures. They look like the N'sukka except that instead of having a green body, they are blue in colour. If you ask me, I think they are very beautiful. I wonder if any of you have this blue gardneri in your tanks too.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    This can be achieve by selective breeding but has to be done over a few generations before the genes are stable. I had been corresponding with Patrick J. Coleman (he is the species coordinator for the International Conservation Core Species Group for the species, N'sukka) and he told me that his N’suka favor the blue hue over the green. He mentioned when picking the breeding stock, from each generation, he had been picking those males that favor the blue coloration and therefore have been getting a brighter blue overtone.

Just for your information and interest

In nature even if the blue stain exist it might be 1 out of 100 or maybe less, and maybe they might never have the chance to mate. So the chance s of collecting this blue male might be very low and thus i guess this can only be seen in an aquarium. Just like the AUS

Regards,
    Siameng
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Hi Mr Loh,

Kind to share whether you add any salt into their tank. I used to have 3 male / 3 female but now left with 1 male / 2 female due to their eagerness to bite off my neon tetra and yamato thus causes some fungus / bacteria infection on their mouth killing them.

They single handed destroy 40 tetras and 10 yamato in less than 2 weeks. Definitely the most aggressive killie I had ever kept.

BTW, did you manage to breed them? Can share how you did it?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, Nikkipup,

I don't intentionally add salt to my fish tanks unless there's velvet disease. However, some salt is added to my tanks everyday when I feed the fish with brine shrimp as I don't sieve the shrimp but simply squirt them straight into the tanks with a turkey baster.

Fundulopanchax gardneri, unlike Nothobranchius, is not known to be infected with velvet easily so I don't think it is necessary to add salt to their water.

They are aggressive fishes but breed easily. There are 2 ways you can breed them. You can leave them alone in a planted tank and chances are pretty good you will see fry appearing regularly. If your tank is not heavily planted, it will be a good idea to have some floating plants. The fry will, by instinct, swim to the surface and hide amongst the plants as soon as they hatch. You can also use a spawning mop to collect their eggs if you want to breed many of them. A healthy female can easily lay more than 30 eggs in a day.

The Fundulopanchax gardneri are known as switch spawners. They can lay their eggs on spawning mops or on top of peat. In other words, they will also lay eggs inside a breeding bowl, just like Nothos. Come to think of it, they will lay their eggs anywhere and everywhere.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Thanks Mr Loh,

I did put them in a 2 1/2 ft plant tank but the last male had a severe fungus (cotton) attack on the top side of its mouth. I did manage to remove the cotton by medication but it left a very big open in its mouth!

You can really see the inside of the fish without it opening its mouth. The fish give up on me 2 days ago and now I don't think there's any chance for it to breed with the 2 female.

Thank you once again for the info.

Rgds
    Nik

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkipup
    The fish give up on me 2 days ago and now I don't think there's any chance for it to breed with the 2 female.
    Hey, what's the forum for if we don't help each other? I can give you a male gardneri but it won't be the blue form. I have some spare male N'sukkas and I would be glad to let you have one for free so that you can try breeding them.

This is where I live:

Block 104 Towner Road
    #08-324
    Singapore 322104
    Tel: 63921969

My block is just beside Boon Keng MRT station. Please come on a weekend to collect the fish and please call first before you come.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Thanks Mr Loh,

I'm quite occupied for the next 2 week, so might not be able to get the fish from you.

Thanks for the offer. BTW I've one pair of killie (1 male/2 female) which I do not know its ID. Can you help to identify?

May pass it to you if you're interested as I don't want them to go down the toilet bowl. As I do not know how to post a pics here, will send you the pics of the fish (email).

Have a nice weekend.
    Nik

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkipup
    Thanks for the offer. BTW I've one pair of killie (1 male/2 female) which I do not know its ID. Can you help to identify?

As I do not know how to post a pics here, will send you the pics of the fish (email)
    Hi Nik, if you can post up a pic or two, you have us to strain our eyes and hopefully put a name on your mysterious friends. How about an online album? You then need to post the link here.

May pass it to you if you're interested as I don't want them to go down the toilet bowl.
    I have a pet peeve of people flushing live fishes down the toilet or releasing them into our local waters... please don't do that... even if it's not 'Nemo'. As is, we have too much 'louhans' and crap in our waterways.

Instead, pass them to someone who might be able to take care of them or rid them humanely.

If you're staying near Choa Chu Kang, I have Fp. N'sukka males to keep your female happy. Let me know.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nik,

I'm quite sure you were only kidding but just in case you were serious about what you wrote - flushing a fish down the toilet is one of the most cruel things you can do to it. If you don't want the fish anymore, please give it to someone who does. I'm sure there are some forum users here who would gladly take the fish from you if you don't want it anymore.

Think about this - Over in Ireland, there's a nice lady who spends her own money buying sick fish from the shops so that she can bring them home and nurse them back to health.

By the way, I think your killie is a Aphyosemion bitaeniatum.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Hi Mr Loh / Ron

Thanks for the ID. As for the flushing down the toilet, I,m dead serious about it (that is when the fish died). Started out with 3 pairs but ended up with this last pair thus was wondering what went wrong.

I'm setting up 2 species tank specially for them and hopefully they can survive long enough to breed.

Ron, thanks for the offer but I may not need it as Mr Loh had offer me 1 male for breeding.

nik