Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: TetraminBaby as dry food for Rachovii?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

TetraminBaby as dry food for Rachovii?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I keeping Rachovii. I have tried to feed them the TetraminBaby but they do not seem to like it. Only some tried to taste it. Maybe should start feeding them with this from the very day they hatch...so as they will get used to the food. Like Lily's, taking egg yolk from the start. I will try it as I have not much luck with the culturing of Brine Shrimps. Anyway, I still prefer dry food for the fishes. Anyone try this using this food for thier Rachovii before? Please advise. Thanks. :wink:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: TetraminBaby as dry food for Rachovii?

You won't have much success with killies if you feed them with only dry food. I feed my killies with dry food too but in my case, the dry food is only a supplement to the live food that I give them everyday. As for feeding them with dry food at the fry stage, I would say that fry usually won't bite if the food doesn't move. It's still a lot better to feed your fry with baby brine shrimp, mircroworms or vinegar eels.

I was at Lily's house the other day and she showed me the egg yolk she uses to feed her fry. I saw her fry too and I must say they look pretty skinny, just like her :wink: So I won't advise against using egg yolk to feed fry unless it's used as a supplement food.

If you don't like feeding live food, frozen food is the next best alternative.

It is not difficult to hatch brine shrimp eggs although it is a bit troublesome. The trick is to get good quality eggs in the first place. I don't want to run down the local fish shops but as far as I know, most of the brine shrimp eggs sold here are not of good quality. They either yield very poor hatch rates or nothing at all. The way the fish shop owners keep their eggs is a factor too as brine shrimp eggs should always be kept in the fridge.

Like Au said in the other post, quite a few of us buy our brine shrimp eggs by the tin from the US of A. I pour them into film containers which I keep in the vegetable compartment of my fridge. There's very little profit in it but I sell the film containers for $5 each. I really didn't want to mention this if not for the fact that I think it would be selfish of me if I don't let you all know about this. I'm not interested in selling the eggs really but if you need them, I can sell some to you.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    I do agree with Loh, my fry refused to eat anything that is not moving. I had even bought a packet of decapsulated brine shrimp eggs from USA to try. They just simply refused to eat. These eggs are the non-hatching type and can be fed directly to your fry. I heard guppies fry enjoy them.

I feed my fry BBS for about 3 week and then supplement them with frozen blood worms. They seem to like it, and the growth is quite acceptable to me. Occasionally I will also feed them enriched adult or juvenile brine shrimp.

$5.00 for a premium grade of brine shrimp is quite worth it. I threw away 2 bottle of brine shrimp eggs (about $24.00 for 2 bottle) I bought from the LFS after I had tried the eggs I ordered from USA.

Regards,
    Siameng
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Normally, I do not have much luck with the LFS Brine shrimp (BS). Either I get a poor hatch rate or when can get reasonable among of BS, but sure die the next day. I used kitchen salt...OOOps!

Recently, I just bought a film container of premium grade BS from a friend. I have tried one time but do not have high hatch rate too. I will tried again with the aquarium salt for the next culture.

As of dry food, I find it more convenient...and the vitamins should be good too by looking at the content on the bottle. Errr...I maybe wrong, nothing can compare to live food, right?

Anyway, once the RAC grows bigger, I will feed them with frozen Blood worm and only give them the BS once in a while.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by AnA
    Normally, I do not have much luck with the LFS Brine shrimp (BS). Either I get a poor hatch rate or when can get reasonable among of BS, but sure die the next day.
    AnA,
    With premium grade bs eggs & aquarium salt, you should get good hatch. You can store the extra hatched bbs in fridge. That will keep them alive for at least 3 days(Which is what I'm practising). Put it at the fridge door compartment, most will come back to life once in room temperature. Change fresh salt water & give them another round of bubbling will probably keep them alive longer. Lower temperature will bring down their metabolic rate, but they will continue to grow & loose it's nutrient value as compare to newly hatched one. Still, it's better than dry food. For the effort, I'm sure your fish will reward you beautifully!

Gan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Normally, I do not have much luck with the LFS Brine shrimp (BS). Either I get a poor hatch rate or when can get reasonable among of BS, but sure die the next day. I used kitchen salt...OOOps!
    AnA, it doesn't matter if you've used kitchen salt but what's important is the quality of the BS eggs.

I've given up on LFS BS eggs and hatch mine in kitchen salt. All I can say is, when there's more nauplii than I can use, I freeze 'em for later feedings to my cardinals and white clouds.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Have tried the premium grade BS with aquarium salt, but the hatch is even worse than the normal LFS BS. How can that be? Hummm...I have mixed a new bottle yesterday and this time with more salt; two tablespoons of salt. See how it goes this time...hiiii...

Feedback Score
    Hi AnA,

Are you using the correct TABLESPOON? The TABLESPOON measure is a specific measurement available from the baking section in most large supermarkets. The measuring spoons come in the form of 1, 1/2, 1/4 TABLESPOON and teaspoons too. It usually comes as a set. Hope you don't take it for the dining Tablespoon.

You may want to refer to the thread on Brine shrimp hatching. We sometimes get different hatching durations of up to 48 hours.
    Alex

N. Rachovii and some Discus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Have tried the premium grade BS with aquarium salt, but the hatch is even worse than the normal LFS BS. How can that be? Hummm...I have mixed a new bottle yesterday and this time with more salt; two tablespoons of salt. See how it goes this time...hiiii...
    I had worse yield from aquarium 'rock' salt and Kwek Leong feels the same too. But I think you're not using sufficient salt... I'm using 2 heaping Chinese soup spoon of kitchen salt per litre of water, with moderate aeration.

Try it and see if hatch rate improves.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hi Ana,
    I think your premium grade BS got problem, try Loh's premium grade BS.

Feedback Score
    ANA
    If you are still using kitchen salt or aquarium salt I would suggest that you change it to marine salt. Most marine salt will buffer the brine solution to ph of 8 which is essential for brine shrimp hatching. (I know certain brands doesn’t)

I used to use aquarium salt with poor hatch rate, I tried using baking soda to increase the ph and it works! However I find it is not worth the effort.

Regards,
    Siameng
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry to bring up a old topic. May I know where can I get those premium grade BS? Is it from mail order? Anyone in the forum willing to sell some to me?

My own egg brought from one of the LFS doesn't give me a very good hatching rate.

Thank