Thread: Tealeaves instead of Kertapan(spelling??) leaves

Feedback Score

Tealeaves instead of Kertapan(spelling??) leaves

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all ,

Whenever I boil Kertapan leaves it gives out a very nice fragrant, it reminded me of tea. Just a curious, have anyone tried using tealeaves instead of Kertapan leaves? I thought it should be safer and cleaner to use tealeaves. It is easier to obtain as well. Theoretically it should works, tea too give out tannin and lower the PH of water. In killietalk people call the solution with Kertapan leave (almond leave tea)

Just for your information, I use Kertapan leave for my Australe breeding tank. They seem to like it and I have fewer fungus eggs. I used to use blackwater extract.

Thank Au of the bag of Kertapan leaves.

Anyone dare to try tealeaves? Curiosity Kills the Cat! Opps I mean fish!

Regards,
    Siameng
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't mention that. It's just on the way. Let me know when your leaves run low.

I've use them for my South American Annuals with great success. I've collected alot of eggs from my Sim. maginficus and Sim. picturatus.
    Hope to distribute their eggs in a month's time.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The correct spelling should be Ketapang. In the west, they are known as Wild Almond Leaves.

I think people in some countries use the Ketapang to make a kind of tea. My Muslim workers told me that Malays also use the leaves as some sort of herbs for curing rheumatism.

The leaves of the Ketapang are lying everywhere on the ground where the trees are found. There are many places in Singapore that have them but chances are you won't find the trees in new estates as they are considered to be a nuisance. The sweepers complain that it's a lot of work sweeping away the leaves which fall from the trees everyday.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Those of you who wants to know more about the ketapang tree
    Ketapang Tree

Those who want to know where to pick it up
    Where to Pick
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Got a question, do you guys who use ketapang leaf add salt for disease prevention as well? Or is the acidic content of the leaf act as one? I'm always puzzled by what kind of enviroment do killies do best, as in breeding well & no disease outbreak. Low or high pH? Thanks!

Gan.

Feedback Score
    For mysdelf, I use the leaf to keep the aquarium free of disease, not sure how but I know there are medicinal properties. Secondly, they contribute humic acids which are good for my apisto and killi, they are a tad hard to remove tho when rotted. As for ph I also dunno whats best for killi, anyone????

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    The ketapang leaves is good for South American Annuals and australe. But as for Nothobranchius, they don't really do well with them. I've being using the ketapang leaves for my magnificus and after 2 weeks, I've collected something like a thousand eggs from my 3 pairs.

As for my N. rachovii and eggersi, they give very little eggs. I'll still add salt to all my tanks every week when doing water change to prevent disease.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by turaco
    I'm always puzzled by what kind of enviroment do killies do best, as in breeding well & no disease outbreak. Low or high pH? Thanks!
    Honestly, up to this day, I'm just as puzzled too.

I used to believe that annuals like the Nothos do better in hard alkaline water and non-annuals prefer soft acidic conditions. But what I believe now is that killies are highly adaptable fish and can tolerate a wide variety of hardness and Ph.

I also believe that adding Ketapang leaves helps to stabilise certain species of killies like the Aphyosemions and Fundulopanchax not because they make the water more acidic but because the leaves turn the water murky. These fish prefer dark conditions but that is not to say, they won't thrive under bright lights. As you have seen in my australe tank, I'm using 4 two-feet tubes and the fish don't seem the worst for it.

I'm not sure if the Ketapang leaves can prevent disease but even if it were so, it won't prevent all diseases. Maintaining high quality water is still the best way to keep diseases at bay. Adding salt to Nothos' tanks can prevent velvet disease, that I know is true. Nothos can take so much salt they can even survive in marine water.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    For those who're actively using Ketapang leaves, is there a possibility of 'overdose'?

Reason I'm asking is that; for some leaves, it just lie in there and doesn't do a thing*... ie. doesn't turn the water tannic (*applicable only if color is NOT a measure of effectiveness).

Then for others, especially those darker colored leaves, like the ones I got from Kwek Leong recently, a quarter-leaf will turn the water dark brown!!!

I'm a new 'ketapang-user' hoping to reduce fungus on BIV & future BIT eggs, and of course healthier killies too but I'm still learning how much is not too much!

Does anyone here soak the leaves in a separate bottle and dose the "almond tea", like blackwater extract, instead of leaving the leaves in the tank? Would appreciate your observations.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Here's an article which shows you how to extract the ketapang juice, if you do not want to have leaves rotting in the tank.

There can be an overdose. Happens to my brother who has never used it on his aro before. People advised him to use ketapang leaves for his aro tank. He dump in quite a lot and the next day, the aro went to aro heaven.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    There was a discussion on Almond leaves in the cynolebias discussion group lately

Curt Smith, mentioned that he chop up the leaves in a bender with some water, boil the result for a period of time and store it in a bottle. To use merely dispense a capful or two at a time in the tanks.

Thought of trying, but if my wife finds out, she will chop in up and put me in the blender!!

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkifli
    Here's an article which shows you how to extract the ketapang juice, if you do not want to have leaves rotting in the tank.
    Thanks Zulkifli, for the link. That's what I'm trying out too albeit without the airstone and salt. What I don't understand is ... why salt? Does it speeds up the 'extraction' process or is it optional?

Quote Originally Posted by Sia Meng
    There was a discussion on Almond leaves in the cynolebias discussion group lately

Curt Smith, mentioned that he chop up the leaves in a bender with some water, boil the result for a period of time and store it in a bottle. To use merely dispense a capful or two at a time in the tanks.
    Sia Meng, sorry... no idea about the cynolebias group (have a linkie?). Does the group still use the genus cynolebias instead of simpsonichthys? Would you, by any chance, know a group for the aphyosemion as well?

The 'lady of the house' has no qualms about me using the blender but I'm wondering if boiling the blended ketapang will 'boil-off' or negate the unknown, but supposedly beneficial, elements of the brew.

Using either method, dosing by the capful after water changes, does sound 'safer' (read predictable) than leaving rotting leaves in the tank (not as messy too I guess).

Which reminds me... gotta do some water change today too... it's getting to a point where I can't see the fishes!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    What I don't understand is ... why salt? Does it speeds up the 'extraction' process or is it optional?
    what i understand is that the salt helps to kill off any bacteria or microbes still present on the leaves. It is the same principle as the preservation of meat using salt - no bacterial growth so no rotting.

Hope this helps.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Sia Meng, sorry... no idea about the cynolebias group (have a linkie?). Does the group still use the genus cynolebias instead of simpsonichthys? Would you, by any chance, know a group for the aphyosemion as well?
    The Cynolebias group is a mailing list for the SAA members. You need to be a member of the SAA in order to join their discussion. Tyrone Genade is the chairman. http://thearkfoundation.org/SAA/public/index.html

No the group no longer use the genus Cynolebias , the genus is used as group name only.

Would you, by any chance, know a group for the aphyosemion as well?
    Not heard any group for the non annuals.

Regards
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok guys, I'm puzzled.

There seems to be a difference amongst the ketapang leaves used; a soft and dark brown leaf will give a strong brew while a crispy, light brown leaf will hardly turn the water tannic. The difference can be DRAMATIC!!

After reading those articles on extraction, I also tried a quicker way to get the PMBB (Poor Man's Blackwater Brew! ) by; crush, soak, squeeze, strain and fine filter.

This concoction is potent and not every fish will take well to it. I found that out the hard way when I lost a few of my Pseudomugil furcatus and Iriatherina werneri (Threadfin Rainbowfish). I'm guessing that the PMBB turned the water too acidic for their liking.

OTOH, my Pseudomugil gertrudae didn't do too badly although one of the females did look somewhat stressed BUT I managed to find a a single fry and a few more eggs!!

I also pulled eggs from my Scarlet Badis (Badis badis burmanicus) and the space under my killie rack is FULL!

As for fungal prevention, this PMBB didn't do much for the AUS and BIV eggs. It could also be that the males weren't doing their job!!

But learning from my losses, I'll err on the safe side and use a small cap for dosing.

For those who're picking up the ketapang leaves, go for the dark and soft ones!!!
    Ronnie Lee