Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Attempting the ghost shrimp hatch technique

Feedback Score

Attempting the ghost shrimp hatch technique

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Ok, I know I've been away for awhile, but work has kept me busy busy busy.

I've also been trying desperately to get my killies to breed for me with little success. However, last night I found a pair of eggs on the mop from my A. gardneri tank. Having read the hatching technique for lyretails on the main site, I thought I"d give it a try considering I'd just bought some ghost shrimp for my figure-8 puffer to eat.

I have the two eggs on some java moss in one of those little disposable food storage containers, and I added one of the ghost shrimp this morning. Both eggs are clear which I'm taking to be a good sign.

My question is... how/where do I keep this little bowl? Should it be out of the light? Lid on or off? how often and how much water should be changed? Cool area or warm area?

Thanks in advance, I'm hoping I can get these lil guys to hatch.

Sarah

Feedback Score
    Hi Sarah,

I leave my egg container on top of my tank. There is no sunlight there, only light from the living room and reflected light from my tank light.

The temperature there is about 26 - 29 degrees C.

I keep the lid on in case the shrimp decides to go "sightseeing" on the living room floor. My water in the little container is normally crystal clear, so I don't change it.

When the fry hatch, I transfer them into a feeding tray so that the microworms don't mess up the unhatched eggs. Hope this helps. If I made any mistakes, I hope the others will correct me.
    Alex

N. Rachovii and some Discus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Attempting the ghost shrimp hatch technique

Quote Originally Posted by SomethinFishy
    Ok, I know I've been away for awhile, but work has kept me busy busy busy.
    Nice to have you back, Sarah. We missed you. Well, at least I did :wink:

I usually leave the bowls I use to incubate the gardneri eggs in the living room of my house where the temperature is around 30 degrees C most of the time. I leave the bowls open so that the shrimp will survive. I never do water changes.

Sarah, reading what you wrote about feeding the shrimp to your Puffer Fish, I suspect that you may be using a wrong shrimp. I may have inadvertently misled you with the information on my webpage when I called the shrimp a Ghost Shrimp. I could be wrong about the name. The shrimp I use is an algae-eating shrimp and it does NOT have long pincers. I checked with the fish shop owner whom I bought the shrimp from the other day and she said the shrimp is also known as a Black Shell Shrimp.

Please check if your gardneri eggs are still in the bowl. If they are no longer there, it could be your shrimp ate them.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    May I know why would ppl want to put a shrimp with the eggs?
    Thought shrimp will take eggs as food? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sard
    May I know why would ppl want to put a shrimp with the eggs?
    Thought shrimp will take eggs as food? Thanks.
    Hi Sard,

The shrimps we are using do not eat eggs. They feed only on algae. Some of these species are as KL mentioned, the Black Shell Shrimp or what I was introduced to by Gan, the Cherry Shrimp.

KL discovered recently that these algae eating shrimp do not harm the incubating eggs, but instead offer a service by cleaning the eggs while seeking algae. As a result, the eggs remain healthy and the ecosystem in the small container remains very stable.

I have hatched 3 different batches of Aphyosemions with KL's "surrogate shrimp" method and I have not lost any eggs, either to fungus or to the shrimp.
    Alex

N. Rachovii and some Discus

Feedback Score

shrimp

Hello again all! Well, day three and the eggs are lookin good... both of them. They now appear to have a definate spot in each of them, which I suspect is the growing embryo. The shrimp, it seems, has not touched them at all as they are both still in the spots that I put them in the moss.

I have been keeping the container covered for fear that the shrimp might escape. The temp here has been hovering somewhere between 25-30C room temperature, so I think that I"ve got that taken care of. I'm hoping for the best here.

Oh by the way, I discovered that my newt has been hatching killie eggs for me Hahaha! A few weeks ago I was looking at my newt terrarium and discovered a few little fishes swimming around in the water area. Knowing that I hadn't put them there, I put the puzzle together. I realized that some of the plants that are now in the newt tank were at one time in with the killies and eggs must have rode over on the plants.

The only problem is that the plants were in both my A. gardneri and my A. scheeli tanks and now I"m not sure what the little guys are! I have four little juvenlies who are showing bits of color, but not enough for me to tell what they are yet. I am suspecting that they are gardneri considering that my scheeli seem to be quite old (as far as killies go) and I"m not sure they are capable of breeding any longer.

I've got four of the little guys completely by accident. Maybe I should toss the eggs I find in the newt tank and let her hatch them for me lol

thanks for the replies... and its nice to know that I was missed

Feedback Score

whoops... I forgot

I forgot to post about the shrimp I have with my eggs.

The ones I bought for my puffer are this kind: http://www.petfish.net/ghost.htm

and they look identical to the ones in your incubation article... at least to my eyes

Sarah

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: whoops... I forgot

That was the website where I got the name of the shrimp from. It does look like the same shrimp I'm using but I suspect it's a different shrimp. Anyway, it's good to know that your eggs are still around and that the shrimp didn't eat them. As for your discovery in your newt tank, I have experienced something similar too many times. For some strange reason, the eggs seem to hatch easily and the fry grow healthy when we don't even know they are there.

By the way, I had a pleasant time surfing around your website this evening. I must say it's very admirable of you to buy sick Bettas and try to restore them to good health. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone doing something like that in Singapore. A culture that cares so much for animals would surely care even more for their fellow man. I think that's something we in Singapore should learn more about and emulate.

Eireann Go Brach!!

Loh K L

Feedback Score

Re: whoops... I forgot

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    That was the website where I got the name of the shrimp from. It does look like the same shrimp I'm using but I suspect it's a different shrimp. Anyway, it's good to know that your eggs are still around and that the shrimp didn't eat them. As for your discovery in your newt tank, I have experienced something similar too many times. For some strange reason, the eggs seem to hatch easily and the fry grow healthy when we don't even know they are there.

By the way, I had a pleasant time surfing around your website this evening. I must say it's very admirable of you to buy sick Bettas and try to restore them to good health. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone doing something like that in Singapore. A culture that cares so much for animals would surely care even more for their fellow man. I think that's something we in Singapore should learn more about and emulate.

Eireann Go Brach!!

Loh K L
    Weird isn't it... when you aren't trying everything works out well and then you have no idea what it was that you did right!? Then when you are trying everything goes horribly wrong! haha...

All is well with my two eggies, the shrimp contiues to leave them alone so I think I'm going to trust to luck and leave it in there.

Awwww what a nice thing to say! Yes I have rescued sick bettas and nursed a good many back to health, unfortunately they continued to have health problems. I did what I could for them to keep them comfy but I've lost a lot of them to uncureable or reoccuring problems. Bettas are sweet little fishes. I don't have as many right now as I used to and partly due to my cruisaiding, some of the local stores have improved the conditions they keep their bettas in. I only have three at the moment, two males and a female and they are all three of them sweet little rescues. I would have more if I had the space and the money for them. I do what I can for animals and people alike... it pains me to see another living thing suffering for no reason.

Sarah