Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How long shd be kept for breeding?

Guest/Not Logged In

How long shd be kept for breeding?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,
    I am new to killifish. I got hold of 2 Male N.Rachovii from C328 and very much appreciated, 2 Female from AU.
    I had identified the doma- Male and put both female with the Male in approximately 12 x 9 " Tank with spong filter.

After 2 days, I had collected about 20 eggs . I had change another peat moss and started the process again, but on the 3rd day, one of the female was dead. I think it is either due to stress from the Male, as the male is always in the mating mode.

Question: How long shd I keep the Male and female in the breeding tank?
    As I am afraid that the female will be exhausted from the eager Male.

Is there any time period to keep the female from the male, so that the female will be fully in good form, before going to the breeding tank.

Hope I am making sense.

Feedback Score
    Hi Martin,

I will usually not isolate the female if it is my first pair. I will continue to breed and collect their eggs weekly. The reason being, who knows the moment you isolate them and one of them die? I ever bought 2 pair of Nothobranchius from a LFS and was told to isolate them for a week before breeding them, the fourth day, the females died. If I have started breeding them since day 1, I would have collected 1 bag of eggs. (but of course you don’t have to worry much, lots of us have RAC)

I will suggest you provide lots of covering/hiding place for your female, just in case she is too exhausted.

Of course when you have lots of them, it is usually good to isolate them once you know the egg count is low. I will usually isolate my AUS for about a week.

Lastly, please remember the population and collection code for your male is unknown, thus the offspring should be called Nothobranchius Rachovii (aquarium strain). Please do not try to sell and give away your eggs or fish as Nothobranchius Rachovii Bera 98. Unless you are sure that your male and female fish is N Rachovii Bera 98.

Hope this helps

Regards,
    Siameng
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score

Re: How long shd be kept for breeding?

Hi Martin,

I am also very new to this hobby from what I know or rather experienced, the male Nothobranchius rachovii will never stop mating till the day they die. I have two female and one male (thanks to Mr Loh for the fishes on 8/7/03) and I dont separate them at all. Infact, I place all my killes together in one tank, and in it, there is a breeding bowl plus spawning mop for my australes. I will collect the eggs every 3 to 5 days. My first hatch turned out to be the biggest surprise for me cos I collected about 120 rachovii fry yesterday. The female in your tank died probably because your tank is too small. If you are lazy like me maybe you should try using a bigger tank, this is what I did...
    Lily Choo