Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fundulopanchax sjoestedi (Blue Gularis)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Fundulopanchax sjoestedi (Blue Gularis)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here

Photo from Bob's Killifish website.

Again I've failed to hatch the eggs

I'm a bit tired of trying. It's not cheap to get the eggs from overseas and in the end you get nothing.

Anyone in this forum brave enough to try?

We need more adventurous hobbyist and are willing to spend $$$. :P
    We need you.

I broke for the moment and too tie up with afew new species which I'm keeping now.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    This is definitely a fish worth trying. It is very beautiful and the AKA use this fish as mascot.

I am currently maintaining too many species and there will be a few more new species coming in the next few weeks. (quite broke also) Really hope that someone will try to bring in this fish or eggs.

Regards
    Siameng
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Talking about bringing in fish from overseas. Do we need a license from AVA?

Just few weeks ago, they confiscated a genetically a batch of modificed luminunous fish from Taiwan.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    In this unique hobby (killifish), we don't really bring in fish but eggs. As for live stock, Ronwill would you enlighten the group and comment on this?
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fundulopanchax sjoestedi (Blue Gularis)

Hi Au,

Any tips on hatching these eggs?I have read some article on them but would likes to hear from some hobbylist here in sunny Singapore.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Francis, I edited your post to remove Au's message. There is no need to quote a message in full. It's a waste of bandwidth and everyone's time.

Au, if I had known you have a male, I may have taken better care of the 2 female Blue Gularis that I had. My eggs came from Canada and there were only 2 fry from the bag of peat. Both turned out to be females.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Till now, no one can tell the close to exact incubation time for the Blue Gularis. It's through trial and error where we try to derive the incubation period here in Sunny Singapore as what I've applied to all new species that I have.
    According to some hobbyist, the incubation period is between 1 to 2 months. When the egg eyeup, water incubate them till they hatch. This is the method I use.

So Francis, I can't provide any details as yet.

Anyway, I'm trying to get another batch of eggs to give it a very last try.
    Au SL

Feedback Score

Hey Au

I would like to give it a try. Not that I am brave but I always believe in 'nothing is impossible'.
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    The brave one has stand up. Lily, let me know when you're ready and I'll send you the contacts who has the fish.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Hi Au,

As I have never order or buy anything from overseas or via the internet, is it ok if you can order for me and I make payment to you before the eggs arrive?? I would also appreciate if you can paste me the site or link where other breed of killies are availabe..
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have tried and failed to hatch the eggs also.In some article,they said to look for the eggs eyeup first before wetting them.But it is so difficult to find the eggs in the peat.I gave up trying and just added some water.Have anyone try looking for the eyeup before wetting?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Francis,

You should be able to spot the eggs very clearly as it is the biggest killifish egg. The diameter is about 2mm. You may miss them when searching through peat as they tend to stick to the peat. Another cause is that the eggs failed to survive the shipping. This is uauslly the case for non-annuals.

For searching the eggs in peat.
    1) Use a table lamp shine directly ontop of the peat.
    2) Spread the peat on a piece of clear A4 copying paper. Make sure the peat is damp. With the help of the light, the eggs will shine like a crystal. (infertile eggs usually are yellowish or white and they break easily)
    3) Use a toothpick to pick the eggs. Bring the egg near to the light and you'll be able to see if the eggs has fully develop. (Please do not expose the egg to the light for too long or the heat will kill the egg)

Hope that this helps. I've being using this method for all my fishes and there's no instance where I can't see the eggs of a particular fish.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi AU,

Thanks for the info,i`ll gave it try for my next batch of eggs.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by lily
    I would also appreciate if you can paste me the site or link where other breed of killies are availabe..
    Lily, follow this link to the AKA's Fish and Egg Listing. You have to have Acrobat Reader before you can download the list. On the list, there are many killifish breeders living in the US of A and Canada. I would say their prices are very fair and they are trustworthy. The only risk is that the eggs may not hatch when they reach you. But that's a risk you will have to take if you want to bring in new species. Go for it.

Here's the link:

http://www.aka.org/pages/FEL.html

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    What is the reason for the eggs not hatching?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Francis,

It may be the eggs are already 'cooked' when arriving through the mail. As you're aware how the mails are handled here in Singapore. This may be the reason.

Usually the postman will leave their motorbike under the sun. All the mails are in the metalic box behind the bike. So, just imagine how high the temperature is inside that metalic box when the surrounding temperature is about 32deg C. The temperature can easily rise to 40 to 45 deg C and this is enough to cook the eggs!
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Au SL
    In this unique hobby (killifish), we don't really bring in fish but eggs. As for live stock, Ronwill would you enlighten the group and comment on this?
    Urhm! Since Au need to wake me out of hibernation...

The Fp. sjoestedi or SJO is majestic and imposing, by virtue of it's size. The color pigments on the body, fin and tails are uniquely demarcated with striking patterns. I had them about 2 years back and believe that Kwek Leong has seen them too. At 2 inches, they're still considered 'young adults' and is said to reach a size of 4 inches easily.

I received these from Nonn when he was still in the USA and they arrived in water-filled film canisters, not peat, amongst other species. Given our postal delivery system, I'd advise against live stock, unless hand-carried or expressed via courier services, which would make them very expensive.

Going through my mail archive and a killie-log that I maintained briefly, the eggs landed on 11th May 2001 and I logged my observations as follows;
    "The parcel arrived this morning and what joy it is, to see them under
    the stereo microscope. Some are in advanced development stage while curiously, some are still clear. For the eyed-up fellas, I can see them wriggling occasionally, perhaps in response to the bright twin lights.... if only I can take a snap-shot. Following, is the breakdown of what I see of each specie;

Fundulopanchax sjoestedi or SJO
    Total egg count : 20
    Eyed-up eggs : 3
    Light developed eggs (like sprinkled with pepper) : 15
    Clear eggs (like no development) : 1
    Bad eggs (fungal or unfertilized) : 1 Confirmed unfertilized"

After about 2 wks of water incubation in light aeration and twice weekly 20% water change with aged water, 10 frys hatched successfully... about the size of new-born guppies... yes... they're huge! and will take BBS immediately. No further frys hatched.

Given the right 'start-up' foods, they grow fast and are gregarious amongst themselves. A hierarchy or pecking order is quickly established and it's wise to separate the smaller siblings, lest they become the next meal.

For those who're game to bring the SJO in, I'd say a 3 week incubation is close, factoring our weather.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Au SL
    It may be the eggs are already 'cooked' when arriving through the mail. .....
    Stir fried killie eggs with peat moss, quite a common dish! I had at least 3 to 4 bags of fried eggs when heat wave hit Singapore a few months back. (try not to order eggs from France or countries hit by heat wave now)

Besides eggs dying from heat, the other possibility could be the outer shells of the eggs were hardened.

Know cause: Overdosing of anti-fungus agent when incubating egg in water. Overdosing might not necessary kill the egg but hardened the outer shell of the egg, the egg will continue to develop but when it has reached a stage to hatch, the shell is too hardened. If the fry inside the eggs fail to hatch; they simply die in there after a few days. You can tell from the colour, the fry in the eggs will turn gray. Try force hatching, might help.
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Au,

Thank again,Guess those eggs got fried along the way. I had 3 bags of eggs and not a single fry.Rewetted the eggs about a week later and still nothing.Would sending the eggs as what Ron have suggested, be a better option?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Francis,

Sorry about to hear about your killie eggs but if it's any comfort, you're not alone in your frustrations. Only those who live to survive such discouraging moments will treasure all live frys, be it a notho, gardneri or simp.

Shipping in water is not foolproof either. Fungus spreads easier in water than in acidic peat. Water gets fouled from dead eggs and water can get hot too! I was lucky the eggs weren't all 'hard-boiled' :wink:

If you really really want to try water shipping, do ask the seller to pack some java moss with it. I suspect it'll prevent the eggs from sticking together and perhaps marginally reduce fungus spread.

Another BIG possibility to increase egg survival is to ship them in polyfoam boxes.

Don't give up just yet... we're all with you.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast