Thread: The boys can't wait

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The boys can't wait

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I got my Rubripinnis fry from Sia Meng and they're one month and few days old now. There are about 5 males, size fm about 1.3 to 1.8 cm and they are already harassing the small females (size about 1.2 - 1.5cm). I was worried that their harassment might kill the females from stress, so I separated them, is it a right thing to do?

Feedback Score

Re: The boys can't wait

Hey Eric,

The best thing for you to do now is to place a breeding bowl in the tank for them, but before you put the bowl in, take a closer look at the base of the tank, you'll be surprised by the presence of some tiny crystal-like eggs lying around. The fry may look small to you but mentally, I think there are ready!!

Alternately, you can separate them till you think they have reached the 'acceptable' size and age. :wink:
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by lily
    The fry may look small to you but mentally, I think there are ready!!
    If they can lay eggs, it would not be just mentally but physically as well :wink:

Unlike humans, there's no law against killie males have sex with underaged females

Eric, Lily gave you good advice but I like to point out that when we write species' names, it should all be in small letters. Genus names, however, are usually capitalised. In other words, when you talk about your fish, the correct way to write the name should be Nothobranchius rubripinnis
    If you really want to be fussy, the name in print should appear in italics I hope you don't mind me telling you this. I'm not trying to be "too clever" but I think it would be good if we know the correct way to write their names.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by lily
    The best thing for you to do now is to place a breeding bowl in the tank for them, but before you put the bowl in, take a closer look at the base of the tank, you'll be surprised by the presence of some tiny crystal-like eggs lying around. The fry may look small to you but mentally, I think there are ready!!
    Lily, I think a breeding bowl a good suggestion. Think in terms of 'dog-year' or 'notho-year', and you'd be surprised how mature that one-month fish really is! (Aphyosemions need not apply ).

Eric, most nothos are annual... and they live a short colourful life. A really young pair may breed albeit lower in egg count or fertilized eggs.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks everyone.
    What about you Sia Meng, Au and Loh do your Nothobranchius rubripinnis fry behave like that? [/i]

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Eric, I have not breed them yet. Need to clear some fish before I can start them on a breeding program. Mine is about 1cm in size.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My Nothobranchius rubripinnis behave the same way. About 1.5 to 2cm in length in average. No time now.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have one male that is fully coloured up but I haven't got round to breeding them yet. I don't have enough tanks

Maybe later. One big problem with keeping killies is that so many are so beautiful, you want to have all of them but there's just too little time and not enough tanks.

Loh K L

Mine is not ready for breeding yet, they are only about 1 cm in size. I should have fed them more often. Spotted 1 male and about 7 females.

Eddie

Feedback Score
    The sizes of my fish varies, the bigger fish are around 1.8cm ~ 2.0cm and the smaller are about 1 cm. I have no intention to breed them at the moment. I will just separate them (male and female) for another 1 month before I start collecting their eggs.

I hope everyone is happy with their fish! Happy spawning! I mean the fish!
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List