This is brought over from the post “Incubation Period”

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
I used to believe that Notho eggs won't hatch if they are not put through a dry incubation period. But now I don't think this is necessarily true. Mother Nature is very clever, far more clever than we give her credit for. If the species is to survive and they have survived for millions of years, I'm quite sure many Notho eggs will hatch even before the ponds dry up.
Coincidently I had read two articles on some experiments on water incubation of annual eggs just yesterday. In the articles, it mentioned that the eggs begin development (in water) after few hours after spawning when there is supply of oxygen. In nature, it seldom occurs as the oxygen level in their temporary water hole or lakes are low and thus it remains as resting eggs. The egg will start its development when the water level lowers and dried up as air (oxygen) is contact with the eggs. That is why it is rather important to air your peat for better development. By the way, those eggs that hatch without going through the drying stage are known as “escape eggs”.

The details of the experiments were not mentioned in the articles and thus I am interested to try the experiment on water incubation for certain species and report my findings with reference to the articles. I had already found and way to inject pure oxygen into water (with helps and inputs from the member from the killietalk/AKA). I will also be using methylene blue solution to fight fungus cause by bacterial. The details of the setup will be reported.

Regards,