Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: What is Green Water Culture

Feedback Score

What is Green Water Culture

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Can anyone explain to me what is that? Thanks.
    Jennifer Ooi
    Living in Pearl of Orient

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Green Water Culture in actually let the water standstill. Place it at at a bright area(Under sunlight) and let the algae multiply. The green colour is actually algae that grow in the water. This is use to feed those fry that are very small and also food for baby brine shrimps.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    I believe you had read my PMBS and wonder what is a green water culture. Frankly a few months back I had written a 2-page article on green water and when I am about to post it, my hard disk crashed.

Green Water
    Like what Au mentioned, green water is actually algae. The algae is very fine and is suspended in the water, thus giving you a green colour solution. Although a lot of time, people get this nasty green water in their planted tank, but trust me when you want it, you might not be able to get it. I had ever left water standing in the sun for more 1 month and couldn’t get a green water culture started. All i had was hair algae.

By chance I saw a LFS’s planted tank infested with green water and asked him for a bag of his tank water. You can imagine the look on his face when I ask him, “Uncle, can I have a bag of your water?” I pour this bag of water into a bottle and left it in the sun for a supper green solution. I supplement it with liquid fertilizer every month. I had a couple of snails in there.

Use of Green Water
    I use green water to raise BBS. My initial intention was to start a daphnia culture using green water, but the culture crash after a 2 months and never had the time to try again. By the way this green water culture is odorless.

Regards
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List