Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Breeding mop question

Feedback Score

Breeding mop question

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Gan asked me these questions; I find it more appropriate to answer the question here.

Quote Originally Posted by turaco
    I saw the mop in the cup pic, are they for non-annual?Gan.
    This is actually one of the many experiments done by me. In fact the eggs you saw in the mop are actually Austrolebias Nigripinnis’s eggs. I am a very lazy guy and hate to change water, as you know Austrolebias are peat divers and it is very messy to maintain them, thus I use this method to try if it works.

My pair is used to the breeding bowl, thus whatever materials I used as a breeding medium, they will still dive in to breed. This method works even for my Simpsonichthys magnificus. The eggs were picked then incubate on peat. I think they prefer the mop than peat as it is much softer than peat and it makes it easier for them to dive in. But frankly, this is also a lot of work. Now I have to pick the eggs!! Those who have trouble finding eggs using the conventional methods, give this a try, and you will be surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by turaco
    Care to share the differences as compare to the floating & sinking mop?
    For my australe, I find most of their eggs at the bottom of the mop if a floating mop is used. I drew my own conclusion that they prefer sinking mop and thus I use sinking mop for most of my australe.

As for Fp gardneri, I find most of their eggs on the top of the mop, when a floating mop is used. However I had ever tried breeding them with a sinking mop, they seems ok with it and spawn over the sinking mop. I guess they have no specific preferences or they are rather adaptive.

From my observation, different fish have difference preferences or some have no preference, I used what I feel that is best for my fish, but that doesn’t mean it will work for anyone of you. Always remember this what you read here or even in most articles about breeding preferences are someone’s opinions ... as this is. Try out yourself.

someone ever qouted this:-

If one had acquired the pair that produced no or few eggs, one might consider the fish to be difficult or stingy; while if one had the pair that produced 100+ eggs it might be considered easy.

So you never know, try it out yourself; our opinions can only serve as guidelines.
    Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow that was fast! Thank you for sharing with us all these other posibilities. I am facing the same problem with the rachovii- peat all over the tank & eggs mixed with tubifex worms . Worth trying .

Gan.