Images
    Country
    Singapore

pseudomugil/popondetta? gertrudae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    someone among the killie keepers wanted to get some gertrudaes i think. i can't remember who. i've seen a few for sale at a shop down at bukit timah. there's males and females available though not in large numbers. roughly about 15 or so pieces left.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey storm,

Nice to hear from you. Isn't it Ronnie who wants the fish? Saw them but they are not at their best. See fish pic at: http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Pseudomugil.htm
    Under "P.gertrudae"

Gan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Who's website is this?
    I like the photography. The lighting make the fish look great. BTW the fish also look exotic!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: pseudomugil/popondetta? gertrudae

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    someone among the killie keepers wanted to get some gertrudaes i think. i can't remember who. i've seen a few for sale at a shop down at bukit timah. there's males and females available though not in large numbers. roughly about 15 or so pieces left.
    Thanks Storm for the update,
    That ought to be me! ... I posted that query at AQ sometime back.

Whereabout is this Bukit Timah LFS? Name?

If these fishes' aren't sickly, I might pick up a trio or 2.

eh Gan, you've got pretty good memory!

KC, not only do they look exotic, they're also good companion fishes for less aggressive killies!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    its called choong sua aquarium. the shop's located at beauty world plaza, just beside beauty world centre. at the ground level is a Hong Leong Finance branch. then u walk in and go up the first escalator u see. the shop is the first thing u see after u go up the escalator.

the gertrudaes are in a small tank close to the betta rack. look around. it's on the 2nd row of tanks, just below this tank containing several corydoras. if my eyes didn't fail me, the fishes have spots in their fin. small black spots. got back home and checked my books. got the ID as P. gertrudae. they're quite active though.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    its called choong sua aquarium. the shop's located at beauty world plaza, just beside beauty world centre.
    Stormhawk,

While at the LFS, I couldn't believe my eyes when I spotted ONE lonely Pseudepiplatys annulatus and had to have it!!. This is my first "clown killie" and so cute was it... that I reserved another 20 of mixed sexes when the next stock arrives.

Ps annulatus & Pseudomugil gertrudae

Ok ok... it's not a great shot... but I wanted to take a pic for posterity, in case my luck runs out on this 'clown'.

Oh... I finally found those gertrudae (I really need new glasses!) and while I was eyeballing my catch, I felt a shadow looming over my shoulders ... when suddenly ... (no this is not a ghost story :wink: ) ... someone said... "are you from killies.com??"

Taken aback by such a direct, lottery-winning question, it was to be my first chance meeting with KC! Yup! small world it is!

Kwek Leong, it looks like your site did make an impact amongst the small group of killie keepers here. I remain hopeful that more will come to appreciate these killie jewels.

KC, I'm still puzzled... what prompted you to ask that question?? I don't recall having 'killies.com' written on my forehead!! Nice meeting you and hope your 2 pairs of gertrudae will be prolific.

For breeding tips, check these out;
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/M...ervations.html & http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/..._Rainbows.html

Not every gertrudae ends up looking like the link that Gan posted, which was also the result of patience & good photographic skills (not forgetting a happy fish in prime condition!). Here's what most "normal-gertrudae" looks like...
    http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/a..._gertrudae.htm
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Anybody Know how to pronounce the name of the fish- "Pseudomugil gertrudae"? So that we can use it to ask the fish shop uncle if he still have that **** fish in stock..

Gan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    eh Gan, you can try asking them for "Spotted Blue-eye" but I don't think it'll make much of a difference. Our LFS still have alot of catching up as far as species names are concerned.

Alternatively, bring along a pic of what you want or put on your glasses and start looking real hard! (sorry, I can't pronounce that either )
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The fish is also known as Getrude's Blue-Eye. I've bred them before. All you need is plenty of Java Moss. Just put them together and they will lay their eggs in the moss.

Many years ago, I gave a bunch of Java Moss to a hobbyist. A few days later, he called me and said there were fish inside the basin where he put the moss. Unknown to me then, the moss I gave him had the eggs of the Getrude's Blue Eye.

By the way, Ronnie, how much are they selling the Pseudepiplatys annulatus? I think I may be interested in getting some also.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    By the way, Ronnie, how much are they selling the Pseudepiplatys annulatus? I think I may be interested in getting some also.
    Kwek Leong, these 'clowns' are going for a song (believe me!) and I'm tempted to up my reserve to 50 fishes

Come to think of it, I reckon I'll do just that... and order a bagful!! How many fishes do you want? :wink:
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie,

Sorry to give you a fright! Do I remind you of the show 'Haunting' just re-run yesterday?

Anyway, I made a guess as you said that you may pick up a few. Beside, who would take special interest in than unimpressive tank of fish? It take real hobbist to spot the different, given that those Pseudomugil gertrudea really look like unimpressive from far.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Come to think of it, I reckon I'll do just that... and order a bagful!! How many fishes do you want? :wink:
    Ronnie, to make things easy for you and to ensure that there's no "one-upmanship", I will take exactly the same number of fish you are ordering for yourself

But come to think of it, I should have said, I will take whatever you are ordering for yourself plus one.

Jokes aside, you have to let me know a few days in advance before the fish arrive so that I can get a tank ready for them.

Loh K L aka "kiasu killifish keeper"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the uncle doesn't call the fish by their english names so its best if u not ask him for this fish and that. u need to show him what u want and what's the common name, in chinese preferably.

regarding the clown killies, he's always had a large batch of them come in. i had a shoal of 6 last time before they all conked out. Ronnie, good to hear that u've finally gotten the P. gertrudaes. uncle told me that out of the bag of 50 or so? loads of them died. those u saw (and bought) were the tough ones. apart from the ragged fins, they're all pretty looking.

if u need anymore i can ask him for u. kc, not many people would give these forktails a second look unless they're really into them. i too almost forgot about them till i recalled a post i read in AQ ages ago. i realised then that these fish were the ones the person had in mind. so rather than see them stay longer at the shop.. which i think they had been in for the past few months?.. i placed a post here cos i couldn't recall who wanted them. and as far as unimpressive, they DO look like longkang fish at first glance. i almost dismissed them as plain guppies before i looked at them longer. :wink:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I saw another spicies of the Blue Eye "Pseudomugil furcatus" from Clementi LFS formerly known as Generation-X Aquarium. Shop owner also didn't know what the name of the fish, he just said NEW fish.

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Pseudomugil.htm

Eric Yeo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Yeo
    I saw another spicies of the Blue Eye "Pseudomugil furcatus" from Clementi LFS formerly known as Generation-X Aquarium. Shop owner also didn't know what the name of the fish, he just said NEW fish.
    Hi Eric, the Pseudomugil furcatus (Forktail Blue-eye) has been circulated in our hobby for at least 6 years, if not more... so it not a 'new' fish :wink:

What I've yet to see is the Pseudomugil tenellus (Delicate Blue-eye) which really resembles the gertrudae in so many ways (I think it's as nice, if not prettier, than the gertrudae).

What's interesting to note is that recently available specimens assimilate much faster to our tanks (mine's somewhat neutral-to-slightly-acidic), probably due to longer (?) holding time either before these were shipped out OR these were 'localised' at the LFS. Storm did mention "uncle told me that out of the bag of 50 or so? loads of them died. those u saw (and bought) were the tough ones"

Still, if both 'blue eyes' and our more docile killies can co-exist together, it'll be quite a sight.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, yeah well i've seen some forktails having deformities.. bad ones too. somehow i believe they've been too much inbred over several generations.

regarding the "survivor" gertrudaes, some batches of fish that come in do die off quickly in numbers leaving behind a certain number of fish that do survive the quarantine period (that is, if the farms practise this at all..) at the farms. the uncle told me that on occasion, he'll bring in some fish and all will die for some reason or another. but he's been using some guidebooks for reference towards the care of the fishes. thats what i call a responsible fish shop owner. (not that i get any commission out of saying his praises ) i've had a "survivor" skunk cory too. even uncle told me that this particular skunk survived at his shop for almost 3 months before i came along and picked it up. guess what, he's been in my tank for almost 4 years and still going strong. and the tank's been thru at least 3 changes since then!