Advertise here

Aphyosemion bivittatum Lagos flaring :wink:
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Aphyosemion bivittatum Lagos

Hi Au,

What a coincidence!! I've just completed a simple page on BIV Lagos which I acquired from you but I can't help noticing the difference.

The dorsal base on yours looks much broader and overall, a more stocky/robust fish. Were mine from the same batch?

Page is here... http://www.angelfire.com/retro/clock...BIV_Lagos.html

How many males do you maintain in the same tank? Mine's a pair to their own space and they hide most of the time.

Are you breeding them? How's the result so far?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    The dorsal base on yours looks much broader and overall, a more stocky/robust fish. Were mine from the same batch?
    Obviously, Au has been feeding his fish well Yours look skinny but has nicer finnages. I think Au's fish have been biting each others' fins, they look so much shorter than yours. That's one problem with keeping them all in the same tank, the males engage in minor skirmishes. Although rarely fatal, they do a lot of damage to fins.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

urm... Kwek Leong,

About their diet, it's not like I'm starving them but they just don't have the same ravenous, gusto appetites of the Fundulopanchax sp. and they're not as active either.

I've had 2 pairs in a 2gal /6 litre plastic tank until I was able to allocate separate tanks for them and didn't observe any flaring. Finnages remained intact.... not surprising, especially when they're so docile.

Even my Ap Australes (maintained together with Simp constainciae) are more gegarious!

I may be wrong but I'm inclined to think that these buggers have heartier appetites when kept in a larger tank and in higher numbers. I'm gonna try mixing them with White Clouds and see if that makes a difference.

Still, I'm keen to know how Au get his BIVs to be so robust!!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ronnie,

Well I've stop breeding them due to space constrain and also overloaded with too many new species....

I keep all my Lagos about 20 of them in a 3ft planted tank with a mixture of Aphy. australes and some guppies. They will usually compete with the rest of the killies for food.

I still believe that live food is best for killies to keep them in best condition. I feed them twice a day with frozen blood worms and occasionally supplement then with tubifex worms.

It's from the same batch. Mine is living in a community tank and the puffer fish will go around nibbling the fins of the killies. That's why their dorsal fins are damage.
    Au SL