Country
    Singapore

Marine salt for BBS

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I'm presently using common kitchen/table salt for my BBS hatchery and would like to give marine salt a go, since I just read in KillieTalk that the saline hatching solution can be used for up to 3 weeks!

That'll save me a little time on miscellaneous chores and spend more time looking at my killies, caring for frys or do more water changes! :wink:

Since I'm a 'freshwater-guy' all along, I've no experience with marine setups or used such salts for BBS, and will appreciate knowing which is recommended and which is overkill.

Yes... it'd be helpful if replys covers the following;
    Brands, prices and availability.
    Salt:water mixing ratio.
    Observations, if any.
    Alternatives.

Also, a long time ago, I read that marine salts have 'essential minerals'... and I'm wondering if our killies, plants and ramhorn snails will benefit from a 'light squirt' every now and then. TIA.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Marine salt for BBS

Sia Meng always express shock whenever he sees me squirting baby brine shrimp solution into my tanks. I'm not sure about benefits but killies and Nothos, in particular, can take a lot of salt in their water. I put so much salt solution into the trays holding Notho fry I think the water there is more marine than fresh.

I'm careless about things like ratio and all so whenever I put salt into my brine shrimp hatching bottles, I do it by estimation. I usually put about one and a half tablespoons of salt to one litre of water. That's just a rough estimate, of course. Honestly, the solution could be even more concentrated than that.

There are many brands of marine salt in the market but I'm using Red Sea Salt. I can't remember the prices but I think this brand is one of the cheaper ones. Actually, the brand doesn't matter. Salt is salt, as far as I'm concerned. What contributes to the price factor more is who's selling them. Some fish shops are known to sell their products very cheap while others charge quite a lot. I would recommend Nature Aquarium and Keong Seong.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, I also use marine salt, I think cora-life. Saw one brand at C328 - think cost <$10.

I use about 3 scoops of the scoop provided inside the packaging - should be equivalent to 1.5 tablespoon.
    One think I observe, my hatch is much better than when I use the aquarium or normal salt - perhaps merine salt solution emulates the natural waters of the bs?.

I use to filter the bbs, rinse it before feeding it to my frys. But nowadays, I'm doing what KL is doing - just squirt the bbs solution into the tanks and trays. Water salinity is only controlled during weekly water changes.

Well, my killies does not seem to be any worse.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    table salt, aquarium salt and marine salt, they are all different? hmmm I thought salt come from the sea thus they are all the same. But after reading Zul's thread make me wanna try to see the differences. Ihave personally tasted the salt except for marine salt and they all taste the same to mee.. or is it mu taste bud is haywire....anyway... good info... will try and experiment myself to believe it...
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    To get cheap marine salt, i guess the cheapest place to buy them would be petmart.
    I buy from them coral life salt (the smallest packet) for $7 and it could last me like few weeks.
    Good buy. But i heard that they are no more selling coral life small packets of salt anymore. Changed the brand to something called Red Sea or something like that. My friend said that its more concentrated and so can use longer
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face