Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hello Everyone. New to setting up Killies Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello everyone, I am Poh San, just join this forum yesterday. I have being in fishkeeping for 10 years but have only just come across killies yesterday. I am holding a 2 ft planted tank. After giving alway my luo han to my friend, I have now a empty 2ft tank which I hope to keep some killies. I hope to get some advise for some of you. Thank in advance.
    1) As a beginner, I hope to get some killies that is colourful and hardy. May I know what is your recommendation? What about killies which I can keep in the planted tank with some tetra and shrimp? Pls advise.
    2) May I know any site that offers information on setting up a killies tank? Is killies tank different from other normal tank?
    3) The trading forum offers fish or eggs for sale. Should I get the egg or fish.
    Thank for the help

Feedback Score
    the one recommended killie for a community tank is definitely the Australe. very hardy and can live up to 3 years. used to have like 10 Lyretails in my setup together with corys and tetras. highly recommended. nothobranchis are not as hardy in a comm tank and should be kept separately in a species tank. i tried keeping a rachovii once and the tetras saw it's tail as food. go for the australes and welcome to the world of killies.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hello Everyone. New to setting up Killies Tank

Poh San,

Another very hardy killifish is the Fundulopanchax gardneri. It's very colourful too and if you leave them in a planted tank, they will breed naturally. But they are aggressive fishes and will eat small fish and shrimp.

I don't think there's anything special about a killie tank. In fact, most hobbyists keep their killies in bare tanks. Powerful filtration is not recommended though and many hobbyists use sponge filters.

As for whether you should buy the eggs or fish, it's really all up to you. But if you are buying from someone living in Singapore, I would suggest you buy the fish in sets of trios. Some of us buy eggs because that's the only way to get the species from another killifish breeder living in another country.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    To Killie fish oldies,

a couple of question i need to know as I intend to get some killies to try my hand in keeping them during the nov meet up.

1. How big should the tank be for keeping them (say 3 fish since it is the recommended number for killie)?
    2. substrate to use? gravel size?
    3. slow moving / still water or fast moving?
    4. can mix different breeds together?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz
    1. How big should the tank be for keeping them (say 3 fish since it is the recommended number for killie)?
    2. substrate to use? gravel size?
    3. slow moving / still water or fast moving?
    4. can mix different breeds together?
    Welcome, Daz, to our cozy little corner and I'm glad to see you doing the homework, before acquiring the fishes.

The good thing about killies is that they very flexible. If you need to display them, a planted 2 footer is adequate. Smaller tanks can be used for breeding them in pairs or trios (1M/2F). Whether it's bare bottom or UGF, is a matter of preference.

Most are not particular about filtration, be it a air-driven sponge filter or UGF. I have both setups and tend to prefer UGF for lower maintenance. Lonestar 8-mesh gravel is a good size.

Moderate aeration, with gentle water circulation can never be bad for fishes but since killies aren't built like loaches, don't overdo it. I've tanks that have high aeration and some with still water (no filtration) but loaded with plants.

Different genus can be safely mixed, provided they share the same water-requirements and females, distinguishable.

When I need more breeding tank-space, I may lump the Simpsonichthys and Aphyosemion in the same commune tank*, but NEVER two species of Aphyosemion or Nothobranchius in the SAME tank (and I don't trust acrylic partitions). They will interbreed and hybridize. Females are also visually difficult to differentiate.

* Be careful of developing eggs and hiding frys, before introducing the next species of killies.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hello Everyone. New to setting up Killies Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Pohsan
    I have now a empty 2ft tank which I hope to keep some killies.
    Poh San, I was recently given a Nisso 2-tier 2 footer setup, together with 'Dolphin' overhead filter and lights, and was giving it some thoughts which you might wanna consider.

I would agree that Lyretails are very display friendly and will probably transfer all my AUS Brown to one of these tanks, which shall be planted and rigged with a modified combo UGF/overhead filtering (I've not decided but it's probably an overkill).

Accompanying fishes would probably be corys, otos, cherry shrimps and perhaps a few red platies/black mollies. Some tetras are known to be fin-nippers but White Cloud Minnow is a safe bet.

A killie show tank is generally no different from another community tank, unless we're talking about Tanganyika cichlid setups and/or specific biotopes.

If you're prepared to deal with the requirements of newly hatched frys and is competent with it, then go for it. It's challenging and there's the pride of raising them to maturity.

The easy way out is of course, to acquire young adults, enjoy their beauty and perhaps they might even breed in that tank. Either way, it's a win-win situ. Important thing is that you're enjoying it.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Ron. Think i have a better idea now on how to set up my 2ft tank.

My plant is to have a combi of bare bottom and emersed plants. emersed plants will be place in a pot and into a bare bottom tank. filtration will be by a air pump powered sponge filter.

i might get some floating plants as i read somewhere that some killifish are jumpers.

do you think this is a good setup for killifish?

the idea of emersed plants and floating plants is that i do not want to buy another CO2 setup. let the plants take the CO2 from the air instead.

As for breeding tank, I have some Betta tanks. are they big enough for a trio of killi to breed or should i leave them inside the 2ft tank to breed? planning a single specie of killifish only for now.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz
    i might get some floating plants as i read somewhere that some killifish are jumpers.
    Yes, Daz, most killies aspire to be dried specimens if given the chance!

Floating plants like Salvinia natans, Pistia stratiotes and water-lettuce, will make them feel more secure and less likely to jump. Nonetheless, a secure covering is good insurance.

The idea of emersed plants and floating plants is that i do not want to buy another CO2 setup. let the plants take the CO2 from the air instead. Do you think this is a good setup for killifish?
    I believe it is so since some of my tanks are just like that! :wink: .

As for breeding tank, I have some Betta tanks. are they big enough for a trio of killi to breed or should i leave them inside the 2ft tank to breed? planning a single specie of killifish only for now.
    You didn't mention how big those betta tanks are, but for a pair or trio, a 1-foot tank should be fine. Bigger is usually better.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, I just got some Apyr Orange from Gan. And Gan, all survive even the one that is grasping for air. and thanks for the eggs for a crash course to hatch them!!!

I will be getting some water lettuce tomorrow to help prevent them from jumping out. and have just put in a small lotus in pot.

so far notice they are damn shy leh, hide here hide there and all staying at the bottom.

Question - is 20cm of water column enough for them? they are house in a 2ft x 1ft x 1ft tank?