Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, it is very nice. And the bunch of the Tonina I received from you are very healthy. They are still in my tank.

Feedback Score
    Hi Sia Meng,
    I saw both your auctions on Aquabid. Nice to see an Asian there.
    Regards,
    Annette Chung

Feedback Score
    I saw both your auctions on Aquabid. Nice to see an Asian there.
    Annette , will it be nicer if I tell you I am also like you, a Malaysian??

I have been using this plant to finance my expensive killifish hobby. As no one else is actively bringing in new species to trade with me (Au aside) I will have to do it myself. It is very sad that the local community is not even willing to pay even $20.00 Singapore dollars to fellow hobbyist for a nice killie trio. If this carry on, our forum will have no fish to talk about. The more experience breeders will be answering the same old questions on rachovii, gardneri and australe!

regards
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Sia Meng,
    At the very least Singapore is much more lenient when it comes to killie eggs being sent by mail to and fro. Malaysia will destroy those eggs the moment customs set eyes on them.

And plants too... I will never forget that.

Just imagine having hell trying to get killie eggs sent in!
    Regards,
    Annette Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by gweesm1
    It is very sad that the local community is not even willing to pay even $20.00 Singapore dollars to fellow hobbyist for a nice killie trio.
    If I were to put it diplomatically, I would say the internet crowd in Singapore is a price-sensitive lot. I think this is because generally it's a young crowd.

But when I first started meeting hobbyists I got to know through the net about 7 years ago, the experience I had was completely different. I was, in fact, rather impressed and surprised by the generousity and magnamity of those guys. They were big spenders. People like James Lim, Edward Yow, Melvyn Seah and Tony Greer - I was shocked by the amount of money they were wiling to pay for aquaria related products. James once paid $40 for a piece of driftwood, Edward buys lights and fish medication like there's no tomorrow. He has the whole range of Ocean Free Products and he bought them just to try them out. Melvyn paid $180 for a trio of show guppies and Tony spends hundreds of dollars everytime he visits the Clementi shop. He's such a big spender the auntie there gives him special treatment everytime he goes there.

In recent years, most of the guys I met are quite different. The big spenders are a dying breed.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It is about value for money, I guess. I spent alot on my tank too, for the past 4 years plus, I think I spent about $3.5K for my 4 footer alone. However, I never turn back and I felt it's money worth spending on. I could have ended up with much more expensive hobby like golf or drinking which may not provide the same and lasting satisfactions.

I had learnt the hard way. I used to save money by going places and buy less than ideal things on example fertilisers, fishes, CO2 system, etc. It is penny wise pound fool. They ended up wasting my time and money because they do not work satisfactorily. I will now waste no time in compromising, I either build it myself or buy a proper equipment or good grade fishes, etc. I think it makes more sense in long run.

Feedback Score
    Siameng,
    Can you give me some info on how I should take care of this plant. Lots of light or low light ,are they touchy on temperature or pH?
    Thanks, Deb Bear

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbbear
    Siameng,
    Can you give me some info on how I should take care of this plant.
    Debra,

I don't know how Sia Meng does it but he grows the Tonina very well. I was in his house the other night and I took a picture of his tank. Here's the pic:

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Wow...I think I am begining to turn green with envy :wink:
    All I have very been good at growing is swords, water sprite,and java moss.Oh, and I am very,very good at growing algae!
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Now do I understand what is "simple is beautiful". You don't need a large variety of plants in the tank, one beautiful plant is more than enough. When Sia Meng's place next week. Think he is using high light (PL) for his plants...
    Besides, where can I manage to buy the above plant and some "upward growing" moss for my tank? I plan to overhaul it by the end of this year after the "invasion of Utricularia" and the sudden death of all my Windelov. The Utricularis was introduced to my tank via riccia and since then, I am unable to remove all of them. One month ago, my Windelov suddenly turned blank and started to rotten. I think it maybe due to my 50% water change a few day before the plant died. Currently, I trimmed away all the leafs of the Windelov and waits for the new shoots to grow out.

Feedback Score
    Hi Deb Bear,

Sorry for the late respond, I was rather busy with my schoolwork last week

The ideal condition for Tonina Sp to grow is

Ph 6.0~6.8

Kh: 0~2

Temp: 26~28oC

Lighting: 2.5~3 watts per gal for 6~8 hours. The growth of this plant is quite slow, spot algae might appear if the lighting hour is too long.

Substate: ADA aquasoil. It is ok not to use this substrate as long as you are able to control the ph and kh to the above. If you are using ADA aqausoil, it automatically buffers the water to the idea condition.

I hope this helps

Loh, thanks for posting the picture, I had already torn down the tank and rescape it. I hope you don’t mind me using this photographs in other forum.

Yes Pohsan, i am using PL for all Tonina tank as they are pretty high light plants.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Sia Meng,
    Thanks!
    Yes, that will help me out.
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Hi all,

Went for an educational tour today. This is what I got from a plant farm. Most of their plants are cultivated emerse. To benefit our foreign members here who have never been to a aquatic plant farm, take a look at the picture how a Tonina Sp looks like when cultivated emerse. Don't ask me why! Mother nature makes it that way!!

Tonina Sp

regards
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm, can I remove my Tonina Sp from aquarium and grow in on my flower pot? In this way, my tonina sp will have a better supply of sunlight and CO2. Maybe I can grow Tonina Sp in this matter so that I will have a stable tonina sp supply for my tank and I can eliminate plant die due to change in water condition.
    Any comments on this? Excuse me for my stupid idea.

Feedback Score
    Hi Pohsan, in my opinion, i think plating emerse is perfectly feasible, however the plant will have to adjust to conditions on land. To find out how well it can adjust, the only way is to try it! And if you do let us know the results, thanks!! :wink:

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just moved a cutting of tonina SP into the flower pot. To condition the plant, I will spray water on the leave at 1 ~ 2 hours interval.

Will update all of you on the progress. Thank