Country
    Singapore

Wild Aplochelius

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

Madan Subramaniam, a good friend who lives in India will be coming to Singapore next week for Aquarama. Madan emailed me yesterday and said he will be bringing some wild-caught killies with him. Here's a list of the species he mentioned.

1. Aplochelius panchax - (Blue Panchax)
    2. Aplochelius kirchmayeri ( Goa Killie )
    3. Aplochelius sp. - A new unidentified species
    4. Oryzias melastigmus ( Java Medaka)

I would really love to keep all these wild-caught fish for myself but I don't have enough time nor space to keep so many fish. So I'm making this offer - If you want any of the fish listed above, let me know and I will try and give you a trio. You have to set up a tank immediately because Madan is coming soon.

Please understand that these are wild fish and need special care so if you are new to killies, I would strongly suggest you don't take up this offer. In other words, newbies shouldn't apply. I will give Au and Sia Meng top priority as these 2 have proven themselves to be successful fish breeders. If either one of them turns down my offer, I will let someone else have the fish.

Ronnie, are you reading this? If you are, I hope you are sitting down because Madan will also be bringing 2 trios of wild-caught Blue Badis Badis. I intend to keep a trio for myself and give you the other trio. You deserve to have them as you successfully bred the Scarlet ones recently, albeit there was some luck involved

But don't jump with excitement yet. As my teacher used to say when I was in school, "There's many a slip betwixt the cup and the lip". Many things can happen along the way. The fish may die or get confiscated by customs. Keep your fingers crossed. Let's hope Madan and the fish make it safely to Singapore.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Wild Aplochelius

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Madan emailed me yesterday and said he will be bringing some wild-caught killies with him. Here's a list of the species he mentioned.

1. Aplochelius panchax - (Blue Panchax)
    2. Aplochelius kirchmayeri ( Goa Killie )
    3. Aplochelius sp. - A new unidentified species
    4. Oryzias melastigmus ( Java Medaka)
    Wow! I wonder what those Blue Panchax and Goa Killie looks like... Kwek Leong, I'm also very tempted but would feel very guilty should anything happen to them.

I would really love to keep all these wild-caught fish for myself but I don't have enough time nor space to keep so many fish. So I'm making this offer - If you want any of the fish listed above, let me know and I will try and give you a trio. You have to set up a tank immediately because Madan is coming soon.
    If Madan is bringing along more than just one trio of each, can I give it a go with the 'Goa Killie'? (yeah... it's the 'killie' word that enticing me! ). I've 2 tanks on standby since my clown killies didn't make it (out of a bag of 28, I'm left with a lone female now , but I'm undeterred... will be ordering another bag of 50s).

I will give Au and Sia Meng top priority as these 2 have proven themselves to be successful fish breeders. If either one of them turns down my offer, I will let someone else have the fish.
    I think that's a great idea. Those on the 'waiting list' should be able to handle F2 fishes better.

Ronnie, are you reading this? If you are, I hope you are sitting down because Madan will also be bringing 2 trios of wild-caught Blue Badis Badis. I intend to keep a trio for myself and give you the other trio. You deserve to have them as you successfully bred the Scarlet ones recently, albeit there was some luck involved
    My chair developed a strange symptom... it started hopping around! but I'll bet everyone knows who's the culprit, since I'm sitting on it!

I'm not sure if you're aware of this... but mature blue badis can reach 3 inches, are territorial like cichlids and spawn like one. They supposedly do better in alkaline water (that's what I read) and will require 'caves'.

Still, I'm game if you are! (at least I'll have someone to compare notes with) :wink:
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie,

Blue badis badis. are quite sturdy fishes. I have bred them( I thot I told you b4 rite) the best part is the after the frys a free swimming it's the dad that take care of them and the mom just mind her own business... I still have the fry with me which I fed using the gridal culture u gave and also the microworms...

my blue badis spawned unexpectedly when I was quaranteening them on a seperate tank and when I decided to place them into my comm tank I saw a lot of frys. my advice is if you intend to spawn them seperate the mom from dad as the dad is very protective and he killed her.. a few days later he commited suicide by jumping out of the tank... Best if you can cover them...

Now I'm left with abt 20 odd frys and waiting patiently watching them grow

I wonder how the wild looks like? Ropnnie post the pix when they have settle down or I might just pop by yr house to view the fishies...with your consent of course
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

Feedback Score
    I will give Au and Sia Meng top priority as these 2 have proven themselves to be successful fish breeders.
    Err.. Au is definitely a very successful fish breeder, as for myself, I guess I still have a long way to go.

Thanks Loh for the offer, I would very much love to take up the Oryzias melastigmus and plochelius kirchmayeri, they are both very beautiful. However I will have about 4~6 new species coming in this month and about 6 more in a couple of months time. For your information, I am currently maintaining about 20 species and in about 6 months time I will have about 30. So sorry I can’t take up the offer.

Those who are thinking of taking the fish.
    The Genus Aplochelius are surface swimmers and pretty good jumpers. Make sure you have covers on your tanks. Please do not waste the fish if you are not ready. Have you tank cycle for at least 1 week if you are using a new tank or new sponge filters. I made this painful mistakes when i first started. Wild fish are hard to come by! Especially killies!!

I wonder what those Blue Panchax and Goa Killie looks like
    I think the Blue Panchax looks exactly like the golden Panchax expect for it colour, It’s blue! As for Gao killie, I think it is one of the nicest Aplochelius so far. http://home8.swipnet.se/~w-86183/kirchmaeyri.htm

Thanks again Loh for the offer.

regards
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Wild Aplochelius

I will give Au and Sia Meng top priority as these 2 have proven themselves to be successful fish breeders. If either one of them turns down my offer, I will let someone else have the fish.
    Sorry Kwek Leong, I may have to turn down your kind offer! I'm running out of tank space as I've 7 non-annuals growing up and will need more tanks to breed them. Worst of all, I've another 4 new non-annuals coming in next week.

If I have know earlier, I'll be willing to lay my hands on these F1 fishes and will stop bringing in new species for the time being. Those who take up the offer to maintain the fish, do exercise more care as these fishes are not easy to maintain!

Quote Originally Posted by gweesm1'
    Err.. Au is definitely a very successful fish breeder, as for myself, I guess I still have a long way to go.
    Sia Meng, you really make me 'fly high'.

I'm like everyone here learning everyday. It's just that I've more luck than the rest and on a constant search to improve the breeding methods applied.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Very well,

Since Au and Sia Meng have both turned down my offer, I'm throwing it open to the rest. But please don't take the fish unless you are confident of keeping them alive and breeding them.

Let me know if you are interested.

Ronnie, besides the Blue Badis Badis, I will keep a trio of the Goa Killie for you. By the way, I was at Plantas Aquaticas today. They have the Blue Badis for sale and yes, they are huge.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Folks,
    This is the big, flat mouth of a surface feeder, Aplochelius Panchax (aka 'Blue Panchax') which fellow-forumer, Madan Subramaniam, hand carried from India.

Thanks Madan, I'll take good care of these wild-caught fellas and I did a little page here, so the others knows what the rest of the fish looks like.

The Goa Killies and Blue Badis page will be uploaded shortly.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron,

your image url in the new page is wrong - still pointing to your C:/ drive.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Zul,

I checked the links before posting and just confirmed again... link addresses are correct. If you still cannot access the page, go directly to;
    http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/fi...uePanchax4.JPG
    http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/fi...s_Panchax.html

oh... excuse the pop up banners and limited bandwidth
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by zmzfam
    Ron,

your image url in the new page is wrong - still pointing to your C:/ drive.
    Zul, I find it quite odd... but you're right, I couldn't load those pics at the office's PC either.

I really don't know where the bug was but it's fixed (I hope!)
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Rashid
    I wonder how the wild looks like? Ropnnie post the pix when they have settle down or I might just pop by yr house to view the fishies...with your consent of course
    Rashid, I'm learning something new everyday and will tap on your breeding experience when my Blue Badis trio is well conditioned.

Here's a page which might interest you. Pics aren't so hot, but I think it'll suffice until I get a better digi cam... or you might want to set up a photo tank and shoot some pics with a better cam?

I'm working on the 'final installment', which will cover the Aplochelius kirchmayeri ( Goa Killie ) that Madan brought over. There's scattered information regarding this and hope to put something together for personal reference, without infringing on any rights.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear Madan,

I don't think I said thank you enough for giving me the opportunity to maintain my 1st "F-0 (zero)" fishes.

They're settling in nicely, eating well and while some are building a good rapport with their tank mates, another is claiming territories.

I ain't no IT person, but I've done up 3 simple pages about the fishes received from you.

The Aplochelius Panchax page is here.

The Blue Badis page is here.

Aplochelius kirchmayeri
    ... and finally something killie related! Goa Killies!

Thanks again!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow, Ronnie,

That was really fast!! How did you manage to put up so many web pages in such a short time. I got some lovely jewels from Madan too but I haven't even have time to take a good look at the fish yet.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Rashid, I'm learning something new everyday and will tap on your breeding experience when my Blue Badis trio is well conditioned.
    my breeding experience? hmmm I think you will be a good "father" to them. the frys are the most easiest frys I ever had. now my frys are abt nearly 1 cm in length and they grow quite fast too.
    just feed them microworm when they are very small then BBS when they are bigger.. I change their water every 4/5 days (best if can change 1/2 days lah) I am left with abt 20 odd frys now.
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That was really fast!! How did you manage to put up so many web pages in such a short time.
    urm... with an idiot-proof point-and-shoot digi and the fishes were quite co-operative! (but don't bother to guess how many pics I deleted, just to have a few decent pics )

If you're referring to the Goa killies, they really look quite nice when the background is dark (and when your eyes aren't too tired!) In a bright and sparsely planted tank, even our 'longkang' guppies look more colorful.('longkang'=Malay word for 'drain' or 'small creek')

I don't know how 'old' these Goa's are but I like their small size and peaceful nature... great non-harrassing tankmates for docile killies!

They're in a tank of AUS Chocolate and guppies, and Goa's are really slow eaters, taking their own sweet time to pick on BBS.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Rashid
    my breeding experience? hmmm I think you will be a good "father" to them. the frys are the most easiest frys I ever had. now my frys are abt nearly 1 cm in length and they grow quite fast too.
    just feed them microworm when they are very small then BBS when they are bigger.. I change their water every 4/5 days (best if can change 1/2 days lah) I am left with abt 20 odd frys now.
    The blue badis trio is in a 6 gal plastic tank that's lightly planted, and gourging themselves silly with tubifex from a floating worm feeder. I'm surprised that they're quite "show-friendly", meaning that they don't hide all the time!

Of the 3, 2 are developing some prominent vertical bands and I'm not sure if these 'bands' are their nuptial dress, but they keep pretty close to each other. The other female is evenly colored and swims all over the tank.

There's a small terracota flower pot with a opening cutout for entrance and the male has been 'inspecting' it, taking occasional residence.

As for "fatherhood", my 3 brats keep me fully occupied, so I'll just leave the 'fathering' to the male badis. However, to feed microworms in the breeding tank (presently with UGF) may be somewhat difficult, unless I remove all the frys to a raising/grow-out tank (the Scarlet badis are already occupying 2 such tanks).
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmmm... the badis I had mate quite instantly when I had them and they were bought at different timing and also LFSand after 3 days in the quaranteen tank they've spawn..

as advise before, do keep an eye( I think in your case 2 eyes...hehehe) on the male if they've spawn. Male are over protective of their newborns. you might wanna seperate them. I'll snap a pix of mine if I am not lazy to setup my cam.

Feedback Score
    Hi KL, Ron, Au SL and Sia Meng,

I Got back to India today without any mishap!!!.

All the fish I carried back reached safely except for 5 SAE's that sought another world. I should have heeded the advise to pack them in 2 bags. Anyway.

Thanks to all you guys for the wonderful time all of us had while in Singapore we all really appreciate the time you spent with us.

One small coorection - it is the "GOA" Killie named after a place called GOA on the Indian west coast where this killie was first found and described.

Actually, Goa is famous the world over for it's beaches, booze and babes and very little for the Killie !!.

Madan Subramanian
    Bangalore, India.
    Madan Subramanian
    Bangalore, India.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Glad to know you and the fish made it safely home, Madan. You can always count on us to bring you around the fish shops and farms when you come to Singapore again.

Hope Adip will have no problems hatching the Simp magnificus eggs.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Madan
    Hi KL, Ron, Au SL and Sia Meng,
    Thanks to all you guys for the wonderful time all of us had while in Singapore we all really appreciate the time you spent with us.
    Madan, I believe it was our pleasure to meet you.

One small coorection - it is the "GOA" Killie named after a place called GOA on the Indian west coast where this killie was first found and described.

Actually, Goa is famous the world over for it's beaches, booze and babes and very little for the Killie !!.
    Thanks for spotting the typo and I've edited the posts and page. That's what one gets for working with tired eyes! Still, Goa sounds like my kinda place!
    Ronnie Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast