Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: What sort of Special care for orange and ranchovii?

Feedback Score

What sort of Special care for orange and ranchovii?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Very new in killi keeping.
    i am doing some reading up first before i strat breeding them during the holidays.

Currently i'm a betta breeder but was very attracted to killi's bright colouration too (just like bettas).

both my oranges and ranchoviis (what's the plural for ranchovii?) are from Turaco ( Very pretty fishes! )

I wish to know more about the 2 above killies so brothers here "Qing Duo Duo Zhi Jiao" :wink:

Questions about Ranchovii:

1) Female have shorter life span then males?
    2) what water chemical are the very sensitive to?
    3) Why my ranchoviis like to lay eggs out of the container?

Orange:

1) about how long can an orange live?
    2) what water chemical are they sensitive to?
    3) Breeding: What is the suggested size/age of orange pair?

Both:

1) do males flare at each other even without the presence of female?
    2) any tips in getting good picture shots of killies?

Thanks a lot

Angel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: What sort of Special care for orange and ranchovii?

Hi, Angel,

Welcome to killies.com forum.

It's good that you are doing some research on your own before asking questions. Here in this forum, we don't have all the answers but we try to help each other. I'm also glad you signed off your post with a real name. Angel is such a lovely name. It definitely sounds a lot better than SilverStallion

I'm not sure what's plural for rachovii but I think it should be rachovii's. Take note that rachovii is spelled without an "n". As far as I know, there's no evidence to suggest that female rachovii's have shorter life spans than the males. In fact, I'm inclined to think it's the other way round.

Your rachovii's are not laying eggs inside the breeding bowl probably because they don't even know it's there. Or rather, they don't know there's a bed of peat inside the bowl where it will be more comfortable for them. You have to give them time. What are you using for a breeding bowl? Is the water level in your tank high enough? Do you have gravel in the tank? The more details you provide, the better we will be able to answer your questions.

I suppose when you wrote "orange", you are referring to the orange Aphyosmenion australes aka Lyretails. It's important to get the names right or we won't know what fish you are talking about. The australes are known to live for several years but I think no one here can vouch for this as none of us has been keeping the fish for so long. Life spans of fish depend a lot on their living conditions too. If conditions are poor, some can't even last a few days At 3 months old, the australes are sexually matured enough to lay eggs.

Neither the rachovii's nor australes need special water conditions to keep them alive. But obviously, like almost all other fish, they won't like chemicals such as chlorine. It's never wise to change too much water at one go, if that's what you want to know.

Whether females are present or not, male killies will flare at each other. But I suppose if females are present, they will flare even more. Certain male killies like the Notho guentheri's will indulge in homosexual behaviour when there are no females around. A stronger male will attempt to mate with a weaker male. Weaker males generally don't show much colour so they can look like females sometimes. In a way, they are like transvestites, males who like to dress as females.

As for photographing fishes, it's always difficult with fish that move around all the time. I should know. I've spent countless hours trying to take good pictures of my killies. I use a digital camera, a Nikkon Coolpix 4500. It's almost impossible to take good pictures if the fish are in a big tank so I have a small tank which I use just for taking pictures. I paint the tank black on all sides except the front. When I want to take pictures, I put in a small Moss Wall to act as a background. I also use a overhead reading light positioned just above the tank. Usually, I have to take about 200 pictures to get a few good ones. Having a few plants in the tank would make the picture look much better. I usually use Hornwort.

Having said all that, I like to say that one should not be too concerned about the fish's life span. Ever so often, I hear people asking about the life span of killies. It's like if their life spans are short, people won't want to keep them anymore.

How long a living organism lives is relative. Certain species of insects live only for a few days. A certain species of Mayfly lives for only one day while some tortoises can live for more than 2 hundred years. Humans have an average life span of about 65 years. So is our life span short or long? Compared to an ant, we seem to live forever but when compared to the tortoise, our life spans would seem short.

If you can breed them, a trio of killies will produce so many offspring you will find you can't handle all of them. So what if their life spans are relatively short?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Angel,

Welcome to the forum . I should have tell you more about those fish!

Guys,
    See, Angel's boyfriend is a good friend of mine whom I passed the fish to. Now that he had gone to serve the Nation(In the Army), the task of caring for these killies become hers. Angel is no newbie to fish keeping though. She breed betta .

I find that 2nd rachovii pic you've sent me look great. What about showing it here to us Angel? Don't ask me about photography, I don't even own a camera !

May you enjoy your stay here.

Gan.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Loh and Gan. hee...

Loh: Geez... Thanks for the infomation. Personally i just love breeding fishes, but breeding killi is kinda alien to me seriously i think killi is more chim (especially when it comes to names.... ) than bettas. sort of like a higher stage of fish breeding. hope to learn more from u

Gan: Yoz! hee... i didn't know that pple in here know about my boyfriend.... lol... btw. i manage to take another few shots of your rachovii :wink:

erm... about posting pictures.... i have to try to figure out how to use the Image posting first. hee....[/img]

Feedback Score
    Guys,
    i still cannot figure out how to post a picture. so here's a link to my gallery. http://www.arofanatics.com/members/s...ilverstallion/

Enjoy!

Angel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Angel sent me, by way of email, a very outstanding picture of her Nothobranchius rachovii. Angel has problems figuring out how to link images to this forum so I'm putting up the picture on her behalf.

It's such a well-taken picture I think Angel should teach us how she takes the photographs.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi angel and welcome...

I do agree with Loh, you do have the magic in photography.. maybe you should conduct a pohoto taking session class for all of us here... such clearity and sharpness...
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

Feedback Score
    geehz... no lar.... is the camera that is able to take such nice pictures. also i did some simple editing in adobe that's why can give such pictures.

Angel

Feedback Score
    NICE picture!
    And Welcome,Angel,to the forum.
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Here, people are very friendly. Just ask questions and people like Uncle Ron and Uncle Loh will answer readily. The world of Killies is a very wonderful world. One step into it and you just can't get out, like Bettas.

Unfortunately, I stepped out as lack of funds

Anyways, a big WELCOME
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverStallion
    geehz... no lar.... is the camera that is able to take such nice pictures. also i did some simple editing in adobe that's why can give such pictures.
    Angel, can you please let us know what camera are you using. And can you briefly describe what you do when you take the pictures? I would like to know how you use Adobe to edit the pictures too. It may be simple to you but other than changing the sizes, I really don't know anything about Adobe.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyon Goh
    Unfortunately, I stepped out as lack of funds
    Actually, you don't need to have a lot of money to keep killies. Sia Meng said something the other day which sort of struck me how one can eventually get to own many species of killifish just by starting with one species.

The problem with many of us here is that we are not "gung-ho" enough to bring in our own eggs like what Sia Meng and Au always do. If we keep relying on local hobbyists for killies, chances are everyone would end up keeping the same few species.

Sia Meng said everytime he has a new species, he uses it to trade for other new species with breeders in other countries. So from one species, he can end up having many more. That's something I would encourage everyone here to think about.

We need more people to bring in their own eggs so that there will be a big pool of killifish species circulating around.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    but overseas eggs will always have a risk, eggs don't hatch. Now i'm left with one A.Bivitattium and i think its a female. I don't know what to do with it.
    Maybe i could exchange with you guys for a bag of eggs?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    but overseas eggs will always have a risk, eggs don't hatch.
    That reminds me of my colleague when he dabbles with the stock market... he afraid of too many "WHAT IF's", and firmly believes in, "if somebody else is willing to take the risks, why should it be me?". My critique response to that is always, "you are the venture capitalist wannabe that can NEVER be".

Lyon, what you mentioned also painfully reminded me of those many bags that never made it, but owning Singapore's 1st brood of Simpsonichthys magnificus and Nothobranchius rachovii Beira 98 sure has it's pride.

I also remember Kwek Leong being stumped by the glorious colors of these jewels, that I gave him his first pairs (he was like most of us... and couldn't wait for his bag of eggs to hatch! ). Such is the joy, when your risks pay off, small as they may be.

Imagine if nobody bothers with risky eggs and just wait for the next bloke to do it, I shall doubt the very existence of this site and forum.

Now i'm left with one A.Bivitattium and i think its a female. I don't know what to do with it.
    I have a small group of BIV Funge and would be willing to take care of it on your behalf. No guarantee on longivity but if I get 'her' to spawn, I'll make sure you get those eggs (heck! you'll get some eggs even if it turns out to be a 'he' :wink: ).

Please note that even as mature adults, these are very shy fishes and will hardly display themselves. They are also very stingy with eggs... (I think I'll have to add a large dose of benign neglect for these fellas!)

Maybe i could exchange with you guys for a bag of eggs?
    That, unfortunately, is what I don't have and 3~4 eggs can hardly qualify as 'a bag' ... but I'm putting in more effort to collect viable eggs (I'll try to add further response to the "PMBB" thread later).

What's important is that you do not misconstrue my response to you as negative (I can't help it if it came across otherwise). Rather, it's an encouragement to venture out for "locally-not-available" species. Pick up that courage and go with NIKE... "Just DO it!"

Meanwhile, I'm trying to raise sufficient Chromaphyosemion/Aphyosemion to trade and bring in more species, to increase my Ap. maintenance.

My current 'priority' is now vested in Aphyosemion and I want to join a German Chromaphyosemion Study Group (more on this in a new topic heading).

Any assistance towards this end is accepted with gratitude.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Ron,
    I think this A.BIV a little too small to breed. Or should i say its TOO small. BUt i'll still pass it to you. Lets fix a date. Contact me at 91718786.

But when you guys bring in new eggs, you get by buying or exchanging eggs?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Ron,
    I think this A.BIV a little too small to breed. Or should i say its TOO small. BUt i'll still pass it to you. Lets fix a date. Contact me at 91718786.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think this A.BIV a little too small to breed. Or should i say its TOO small. BUt i'll still pass it to you.
    I was clearing out a smaller tank that has Fp. gardneri N'sukka in it and guess what, I found about 10 frys which I'll give to you. They're large enough to take BBS and should be a breeze for you to handle.

It all depends on the arrangement. Sometimes it's a friendship trade, sometimes it's a gift, but mostly, we buy from either Europe or USA.

Au and I will probably be making an order from the USA soon and considering using courier to enable faster shipping (it is more expensive than regular airmail!).

If there are those who wish to take advantage of fast shipping+shared lower costs, please make your intention known because this may a one-time thing.

Those interested please followup on new topic heading.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee