Singapore

Comment from China Killifish Website

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    efish008 wrote:

4、虚假的广告现象,我曾经从新加坡买F属的,但我养大了之后却发现是N属的。

I saw this comment on the China Killifish website and would like to know if this statement is true.

To those who do not understand Chinese. The ststement briefly states that someone in Singapore had sent some eggs of the Fundulopanchax
    genus but when the fry grow out to be fron the Nothobranchius
    genus.

This guy has wrote to a few of us here to request for eggs in mass quantity. He is asking for a very cheap price and I turned his offer down. He on the other hand is selling the eggs to those hobbyist in China.

The above statement has casted a negative effect on our reputation here. I hope that those who intend to send their access eggs overseas please communicate with the other party to avoid any confusion and unhappiness as this will make us paving our path to exchange eggs overseas very difficult.

To view the post click here http://www.sonic2000.com/cgi-bin/lb5...pic=153&show=0
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Comment from China Killifish Website

Quote Originally Posted by Au SL
    To those who do not understand Chinese. The ststement briefly states that someone in Singapore had sent some eggs of the Fundulopanchax genus but when the fry grow out to be fron the Nothobranchius genus.
    I would give the Mainlander, benefit of the doubt and that he is able to distinguish between the 2 different species.

I would also choose to believe that our boys didn't pull a fast one or had mislabelled his bags, although accidents do happen.

This guy has wrote to a few of us here to request for eggs in mass quantity. He is asking for a very cheap price and I turned his offer down. He on the other hand is selling the eggs to those hobbyist in China.
    It's obvious then, that it's a financially vested interest and no one is obligated to sell below what is considered a 'fair' price, gifts & swaps excluded. After all, killies don't grow on trees :wink:.

The above statement has casted a negative effect on our reputation here. I hope that those who intend to send their access eggs overseas please communicate with the other party to avoid any confusion and unhappiness as this will make us paving our path to exchange eggs overseas very difficult.
    Actually, it's anything we do from now, that will make or break our reputation as serious hobbyists. It also occured to me that perhaps the seller is a LFS or middleman? (I won't bet heavily on them getting the names correct).

For those who're shipping eggs elsewhere; know what you're selling and label appropriately. Where there's no confirmed 'population code', please don't strive to concoct your own! Aquarium strains are nothing to be ashamed about.

We've only just begun... but let's do it right.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Comment from China Killifish Website

The above statement has casted a negative effect on our reputation here.
    Au,

You being someone who sends many eggs to hobbyists in other countries, I can understand you will feel that the statement made by the guy from China is cause for concern. But I would suggest you don't read too much into it. It could be simply a problem of mis-communication.

Other than you and Sia Meng, I really don't know anyone else who would send eggs to China. It's unlikely but there could be a Singaporean who's breeding killies but isn't a member of this forum yet.

I know you are very ethical in your dealings with breeders from other countries so it's nothing to worry about. Like they say, one bad apple won't spoil the whole bunch.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    To be frank, before I sent eggs to this guy, Au had already warned me about him. What Au mentioned was very true, he wanted everything cheap so as he could supply to the china market. I took up his order because a friend told me to help. I sent him 2 species. He also mentioned that he wanted lots of species from me and wanted me to supply to him. I rejected the offer, as he was only interested in acting, as middleman and I will have to face with all the problem of not hatching or other problems. As usual I told him that all my eggs are on exchange basis. I think he is trying hard to cut off the Singaporeans from supply to China as both Au and I have rejected to help him. I know the moderators in China were getting eggs and distributing to the hobbyists from Au without getting any cut at all.

All this while I wanted to warn all of you about this guy but don’t know how to.

regards
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yoda said, "Do, or do not. There is no try".

Do establish good rapport with other killie-communities.
    Do spread the goodwill that others have shared with you.
    Do be equitable in your dealings.

Do not spread discontentment.
    Do not envy a middleman's position (he's sitting on a fence and his butts gotta hurt!).

When you're able to accomplish the 'DOs', you don't have to 'TRY'.

I think he is trying hard to cut off the Singaporeans from supply to China as both Au and I have rejected to help him
    It's only a matter of time before the truth unfolds itself. In a borderless internet, if his fellow forumers can log on, a monopoly on source is only temporary.

We do our best and let him worry about the rest.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score

I know this guy.

Hi Au,

Sorry I have been busy for the past 3 months.

I've sent fish to this guy before. I have sent my Rachovii eggs to the US before and all have been getting high hatch rates. When I sent the same batch to him, he seemed to have very low rates. He says that he was left eventually with two fish. I could not confirm, but he seemed kind enough to blame it on the weather. I promised to send him another batch when my new batch is collected. I only have Rachovii

I've not met him before, but I was responding to a help line from Bill Shenefelt sometime ago to help this chap. I did not want to collect money, but he insisted on sending me excess and asked me to see if other friends of mine had fish that he could get with the extra he sent.

He says he is a newbie on the block with a love for Killies. I did give him Sia Meng's contact to get more fish.

I hope something is done here. Slimming over the net is really unprofessional.
    Alex

N. Rachovii and some Discus

Feedback Score
    removed

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Vincent,

I thought about removing your post but decided not to. It's not nice to speak ill of any race, even if you are just joking. Hobbyists like Au, Sia Meng and Alex have their own personal reasons for sending eggs to some people and not to others. I seriously doubt their reasons were based on race or nationality.

I hope you will take back what you wrote. I've never remove an offensive post from this forum before and I don't want to make a start.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Hi all,

I am very open on why I do not send eggs to certain people, however I do not wish to make the person look ugly in a public forum.

Most of the time I will send eggs to anyone who is interested unless he is blacklisted. A lot of time these eggs were sent on exchange basis or for free. But of course for those whom I don’t know i charge them a fee for the eggs and postage. I can't be alway giving things to people I don't even know!!

However i do not send eggs or sell fish to people who ask for discount. I feel that people who ask for discount are not serious about the hobby. Au and I have NEVER asked for any discount when we purchase eggs.

Secondly I do not take ridiculous instructions from buyer, eg. Paying only US$5.00 for shipping and asking us to ship by boxes (which is much more expensive) or guarantee 100% hatch rate. Whenever people sent eggs to me, I look at it as they are doing me a favor to get something that I can’t get here, as such I will not tell them what to do as they know best. Unless they ask for my opinion. Every time when I writes to renowned breeders, I am always very grateful when they reply. I will always jump with joy even if they reply 1 month later.. sometimes 2 months later.

Au and I had sent numerous bags of eggs and plants overseas and we know what to declare in order for the package to get through. As such we also don’t take instructions from buyers on this too. Personally I will feel insulted by the buyer if he give me instruction on what to write on the green form. Since the buyer has no confidence in us, we must as well cancel the whole deal.

Lastly we do not send eggs to people who are rude or do not sign off their names.

Vincent, it is not about the nationality or race or even money. If anyone of you is not polite to me, I will not even send anything for you even if you pay me $100 for a bag of eggs.

For your information I am helping a group of people in Peru to establish the Nothobranchius species. This group writes to me in Spanish and most of the time I will need someone to translate. I sent the eggs for FREE as they express their difficulties in getting the Nothos as they do not communicate in English. Those who hang around in killitalk will know that I had asked for help for translation for a couple of times. This group of people offered to pay but I know they are really sincere and REALLY polite (Their mail always ends with a strong hug!! I love this statement!! Makes me feel like a close friend), thus I promised to help for free. I sent some rare plants to them as well but unfortunately didn’t make it as it took more than 1 month to reach there. I guess it was lost in the mail.

I hope this explain at certain times I do not wish to respond.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey, Sia Meng,

Cool it, my friend. I can understand the frustration when dealing with people who are too demanding or too calculative but that's the way the world is. You have to take the bad with the good sometimes.

To those who are not aware of this - It's very frustrating for breeders who go through a lot of heartache and hard work raising and breeding killies to meet fellow hobbyists who bargain or ask for discounts. Sia Meng and Au have privately expressed to me many times how difficult it is for them to deal with fellow Singaporeans who even before seeing the fish ask for discounts. It's no surprise to me why sometimes they are reluctant to respond to people who are looking for eggs or fish in the Trading Post forum.

When I was actively searching for killifish eggs more than a year ago, I never ask for discounts. In fact, I usually don't even specify the species. I let the breeder I'm buying from decide what eggs he wants to send me. I once paid US$100 to a breeder and he sent 8 bags of eggs to me. Of the 8, I only managed to hatch one of them and they turned out to be the Simp constainciae, fish I already have. To say I was disappointed would be putting it mildly.

Having gone through such heartaches and disappointments, I would, like Sia Meng and Au, be very turned off by people who ask me for discounts.

If you want something real bad, you don't ask for discounts. So bargain all you want with fish shop owners but don't ever do that with killifish breeders. They are a touchy lot and once offended, they will not send or sell eggs to you even if you pay them hundreds of dollars.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I guess why home killies breeders tend to be sensitive on propective buyers' personal characters and sincerity is because they have lots of sentimental values on their eggs or fishes. They had gone through every delicated stages to re-produce them.

Yesterday, Au came to my place with the Sim Magnificus. After putting the fishes into my planted tank, we chat for quite awhile. Before he was gone, he looked at "his" fishes in my tank. I sensed that all he want to know is they are happy there.

So, it says alot about home killies breeders and they are very unlike fish shop owners.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fc
    Yesterday, Au came to my place with the Sim Magnificus.
    Hi Freddy,

I made a big mistake yesterday. I should have labelled the fish first before passing them to you.

The proper collection code the fish you're holding is Simpsonichthys magnificus "Itacarambi" B7 just in case you're breeding them and spread the fish around.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    People are not perfect. I always believe that forgiving others is giving myself a chance, although I may be fool again . I'm just trying to relay that, life is short, just be happy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    The truth has revealed. For those who has follow the post at the China forum closely, will know who is right and wrong by now.

Everytrhing has come to an end. :wink:
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The proper collection code the fish you're holding is Simpsonichthys magnificus "Itacarambi" B7
    Thanks. I really have difficulty remembering this long namesss.