Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Simpsonichthys fulminantis (large pics)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Simpsonichthys fulminantis (large pics)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

I wet a bag of Simpsonichthys fulminantis eggs yesterday and this morning, I was terribly delighted to find many fry. At last count, I collected 103. I didn't use the oxygen tablets recommended by Au and Sia Meng but instead of a hatching tray, I used a deeper container. The eggs were collected on the 21st of September from a pair Au gave me. Thanks, buddy.

I know Au and Sia Meng routinely hatch the Simp eggs in the hundreds or even thousands so 103 fry to them would be "small fry" (pun intended ) But for me, this is the first time I managed to hatch them in good numbers so I'm whooping with joy.

Here are 2 pictures, one showing the hatching container I was using and the other the fry.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Good try Loh

Please don't be shock to find that the fry when grown up are mostly females! Usually I have about 10% to 20% males from the lot of fry.

The Simp. fulminantis fry has a fast growth rate. Within 6 weeks, they're ready to lay eggs! So you're better get more tanks ready in the next few weeks
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    That is exciting, Loh K L!!
    After I saw that picture,I ran to see if my Simp. magnificus had hatched. They had and I, too, took a picture!I'll send it to you.
    This is my first time with Simp. magnificus eggs. Ausl, Will I also have more males than females?
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbbear
    This is my first time with Simp. magnificus eggs. Ausl, Will I also have more males than females?
    Usually, Simp. magnificus will give you a even sex ratio. The percentage is about 55% males. It's better to have more males than females as you can keep the excess males in your planted tank for display. As for females, when matured will start to lay eggs. The fungus eggs tend to cloud the water. That's why more males is better females.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I, too, took a picture!I'll send it to you.
    Oh yes, you did and here it is, Deb.

I must say your fry look a lot bigger than mine. Or maybe I'm just jealous as you seem to have more fry than me too.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Oh, that bowl is loaded!! I am so tickled for I have never had a hatch of eggs like that before. I do believe that the Simp.magnificus love my soft,soft acid water. A general hardness of 0 and a pH of 6.0 . It has been a struggle with the Notho's for I have to use something to harden the water, while that helps,I still don't had the egg spawning that people talk about.
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh, that bowl is loaded!! I do believe that the Simp.magnificus love my soft,soft acid water. A general hardness of 0 and a pH of 6.0
    6.0? That's pretty low. Debra, did you 'soften' the water or is that what comes out from your mains?

For those who have magnificus eggs dued for wetting, could you experiment with half a bag in 'regular' water and the other in softened, acidic water. It'd be interesting to see if we're onto something here.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    If anyone has any extra eggs, I'd be more than happy to be excited about them hatching . I've never got to experience any hatching, so....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I do believe that the Simp.magnificus love my soft,soft acid water.
    For those who have never set eyes on a Simp magnificus before, here's a picture from Lily Choo.

Nice pic, Lily. I can see you've been busy with your new digital camera.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lily, nicely taken pic!

Have 2 questions (since that spawning vessel looks sooo BIG!);
    What's the size of that magnificus and how large is that vessel??
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    >Ron Wrote
    >did you 'soften' the water or is that what comes out from your mains?

No, that is what the water is from the tap.I never worry over soften water I am always hardening it.
    That is a good picture, Lily, a talent I must say!!
    Ron, I can try hatching some in hardened water I still have some peat left that needs to be wet in three weeks. I, too, want to see what happens.
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Hi Ronnie,

The spawning vessel is not too big rather the fish is very small. The magnificus in that picture is about 2cm, and is still a juvenile. The bowl is about 3” in diameter and 4” in height with and opening diameter of about 1”. Sorry, I am very poor in measurement.

I always believe that is never too early to place a breeding bowl in the tank because you never know when they are ready to take action.

That is a good picture, Lily, a talent I must say!!
    I spent more then two hours at the tank snapping here and there and out of some 60 or more pictures, at least one looks exactly like the species I am focusing on, that, I must admit I am quite a talent.
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by lily
    I always believe that is never too early to place a breeding bowl in the tank because you never know when they are ready to take action.
    I think that is the main reason Lily is so successful with breeding many species of killies. She's always ready for action, err, I mean she's always ready for killifish action

Loh K L