Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Plant recommendations?

Feedback Score

Plant recommendations?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi ! I'm new to the forum and sort of new to killifish. I have 2 pairs of Fundulopanchax and 4 (unknown sex) Aplocheilus Lineatus Golden. I hope to be able to successfully breed both strains (not together) but have read that java moss is an excellent source of nutrition for newly hatched fry. Is this true? Is there any other plant that is good for killifish?

Thanks!
    Heather

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Plant recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Heather
    ...but have read that java moss is an excellent source of nutrition for newly hatched fry. Is this true? Is there any other plant that is good for killifish?
    Frys don't eat java moss, Heather, but on the microscopic infusoria that grows on and around them.

For fry tanks, I love to use Salvinia natans that has good root growth to absorb nasties from the water and maintain a more stable environment.

Larger pic here

Other floaters like duckweed and frog bits are also good, since it makes killies calmer and less likely to jump. Duckweed can get messy whenever you dip your fingers or arm into the tank since it'll cling onto your skin.

If your tank is low light, then java fern, windelov fern, vals and anubias would be great. Incidentally, almost all my tanks have these plants, which are hardly, not particular in requirements and don't require much light or maintenance.

Look up Tropica's site for plants suited to your needs.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Heather,

Besides encouraging the growth of infusoria, Java Moss also serves as a "security blanket" for fry. We use them often because the Moss is easy to grow and spreads itself nicely in small trays. When I'm all out of Java Moss, I use Hornwort. Hornwort is even easier to grow than Java Moss. If you like to take a look at other aquatic plants suitable for killifish tanks, go to:

http://killies.com/Killieplants.htm

Loh K L

Feedback Score

Re: Plant recommendations?

Do you cover your tanks? I would have to keep mine covered because I have 2 small children who love to "help" but can't open the lids. Also, I hate finding my beautiful fish all crusty on the floor . The Duckweed looks nice, but I don't know about the stickiness. My tanks are low light so I will have to look into finding one of the plants that does well in low light. The only major problem I am having is finding a pet store near me that carries killies and/or live plants.

Thanks for the recommendations and links!

Heather

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Heather,

Try not to get duckweed. They are a big problem once they start to grow. I had about 10 or so duckweeds in my 3ft planted tank once and within a month they grew so much that my water surface was covered. No matter how hard I tried to remove them they come back. It was a recurring nightmare! Ended up clogging my filter and skimmer...

If you want to get surface plants, get the the bigger ones since they are easier to remove when they are no longer needed. Just my opinions. :wink:
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.