Country
    Singapore

Tom's Offer

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, everyone,

I deliberated on this for some time and I'm still not sure if I'm doing the right thing. Tom aka blinkytom sent me a private message and I was very touched by what he wrote. Although it isn't right to forward a private message to the forum, Tom made us a very generous offer and I think I should let everyone know about it. I hope Tom won't mind me doing this and I also hope we can do something in return for him. I haven't decide how I should distribute the eggs when they arrive but I was thinking of an auction during the gathering. The money collected would be used either as postage costs to send something to Tom or kept as funds for future gatherings. Let me know what you think.

Loh K L

Hi Loh

Your meeting sounds like it will be a lot of fun, shame I can't pop over from the UK

If its ok with you, I'm getting some eggs together to send you to distribute as you see fit at your meeting. How long does it usually take for packages to reach you from the UK and other countries? as I may be able to collect more eggs with more time.

I have

Nothobranchius korthausae Mafia Island TAN 02-5
    Nothobranchius palmqvisti Gezani TAN 95-16
    Aphyosemion primigenium Kanda GJS 00/18
    and should have Aphyosemion riggenbachi Yellow (collecting at the mo)

I also set up Aphyosemion bitaeniatum 47KM North Ibadan and Aplocheilichthys spilauchen to spawn today so I will hopefully have some eggs from them too. Sorry theres no A. elberti, I'm not sure if theres a female in what I have left. The one which I think is female has no yellow or blue but the best red of all the males.

Thanks for providing such a good forum. Its the 2nd website (1st is my email) I visit everytime I go online. I fully support your guidelines when it comes to writting in good english and only writting relevant things. It makes the forum much nicer and easier to read and enjoy.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Loh,

That's a very nice gesture from Tom. My guess it will be better that the money collected from the sale / aution of the eggs to buy Tom a local gift and send it to him.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to Mr Loh for sharing Tom’s private message with us. I must agree with you that Tom is magnanimous.

Despite the fact that he is not able to join us on our locally organized gathering, he is liberal in giving and sharing his eggs. ( Thank you Tom, even though I dont get the offer or pm from you, but it's going to benefit us! )

An auction during the gathering sounds interesting and perfect; at least the money collected can be used to reimburse Tom for his postage charges. This is just my humble suggestion...

I would definitely be an early bird on that day to have “good catch!”
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Auction will be good. I'm eyeing on the Aphyosemion primigenium Kanda GJS 00/18 already :P .

Thanks Tom! Isn't it wonderful how friends are make through killies?

Gan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup, Tom's a nice person. He traded with me eggs and even added one extra species.
    Anyway Tom, have the eggs hatched?
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well said, Tom!

You are clearly a good hobby buddy. :P

Feedback Score
    Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your kind words, I'm only too happy to help out. I don't have the tank space to hatch and raise all the eggs I can produce so theres no point in me holding on to them.

Loh, I have no objection to you putting the Private message on the forum, I just wanted to clear it with you before I went ahead.

Lyon Goh, I haven't got any fry from the first wetting. I may well have wetted them too soon as rachovii take a long time to develop in the UK because of the lower temperatures.
    Regards
    Tom

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkytom
    Thanks for all your kind words, I'm only too happy to help out.
    Tom, there's a thing or two that some of us local boys can learn from the goodwill you've shown. Just wanted you to know it hasn't gone by un-noticed.

As is, I sure hope you keep those 3 species of Aphyosemions happy and lay plenty of eggs, so that there's enough to go round. I'll be bringing these babes home .

I was looking at some pics of the Aplocheilichthys spilauchen... looks nice too but at an adult size of 7cm, I think my other killies will make nice snacks!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Just a quick update on what I'll be sending.

The Aplocheilichthys spilauchen haven't given me any eggs, which is very strange as when I was breeding them a couple of months back they were very prolific.
    So I used there tank for some Fundulopanchax spoorenbergi. I got a few eggs off them today so I should have some to send. They are quite common in the UK among killie keepers but I notice that no one in Singapore seems to have them.
    I have a bag of about 30 eggs from the Aphyosemion primigenium Kanda GJS 00/18 and I've started another collection.
    I have about 24 eggs from the Aphyosemion riggenbachi Yellow and I expect to be able to get another bags worth from them.
    Ronnie will be pleased to hear I got a few eggs from my Aphyosemion bitaeniatum 47KM North Ibadan so I should hopefully get enough of them to send.
    The 2 Nothos will definatly be on their way aswell. Theres also a possibility of some Nothobranchius kafuensis Chunga, depending on how prolific they are.
    Regards
    Tom

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tom,

It's 2 weeks to the gathering. I would suggest you send the eggs in the next few days or they may not arrive here in time. I will send you my address through private message.

Folks,

I feel it is my duty to milk the eggs from Tom for as much money as they can possibly get. So if you want them, be prepared to pay for it. I think the best thing to do is to auction them during the gathering. The money collected would be used to buy Tom a gift and if there's any money left over, it would be kept as funds for the next gathering for drinks and refreshment. I may have to appoint one of you to be Treasurer.

I never believed we would even come close to forming a killifish club but maybe we are almost there already.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, i think our forum is doing very well. Active people are around to keep it going.
    Well, when is the exact date of the gathering? I won't be auctioning for the eggs but want to see who gets it!
    Maybe you can tell us what's the base price?
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, fellas,

Tom's killifish eggs arrived this afternoon. On behalf of everyone here in Singapore, I like to say a big Thank You to Tom.

Tom sent 6 bags of eggs:

1 bag of Notho korthausae Mafia Island TAN 02-5 (31st Dec 03)
    1 bag of Nothobranchius palmqvisti Gezani TAN 95-16 (31st Jan 04)
    1 bag of Aphy primigenium Kanda GJS 00/18 (30 eggs, 4th Dec 03)
    1 bag of Aphy primigenium Kanda GJS 00/18 (30 eggs, 30th Nov 03)
    1 bag of Aphyosemion riggenbachi Yellow (25 eggs, 5th Dec 03)
    1 bag of Aphyosemion riggenbachi Yellow (24 eggs, 31st Nov 03)

The dates at the end of the names are the dates the eggs are due for hatching as indicated by Tom.

I thought the eggs of the Aphy primigenium and Aphy riggenbachi had hatching dates which were pretty close so I took the intiative and wet the 2 bags which were due for hatching on the 30th and 31st Nov 03. About an hour ago, I saw one fry in the tray holding the eggs of the primigenium. Nothing in the other tray yet.

I will bring the fry to the gathering and auction them. I think fry should fetch better prices than eggs. :wink:

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Tom's killifish eggs arrived this afternoon. On behalf of everyone here in Singapore, I like to say a big Thank You to Tom.
    Yeah Tom, you've given us a BIG thumbs-up and made the rest of us looking forward to the 'action'. Thanks!!!

I will bring the fry to the gathering and auction them. I think fry should fetch better prices than eggs. :wink:
    I believe there'll be alot of interest coming in from cross-forum attendees as well and Kwek Leong, I was wondering about something.

Is the auction to Tom's stuff, exclusive for forum members or opened to the public, where the biggest bucks win?
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Is the auction to Tom's stuff, exclusive for forum members or opened to the public, where the biggest bucks win?
    Ronnie,

Í talked to Freddy Chng about this the other day and he said that we should open the auction to everyone. I agree with him. There's just a thin line separating a member of this forum from a non-member. Frankly, it's just a matter of a few clicks of the mouse. If we make a distinction between a member and a non-member, the non-members who are aware of this will sign up as members just so they can take part in the auction. I think that wouldn't be good for this forum. We all like to see an increase in membership but we want people to sign up because they have a keen interest in killies and not because of some auction.

The other reason why it isn't a good idea to restrict non-members from pariticipating in the auction is that I know for a fact that Karin Leow has been spreading the news about the gathering to all her customers. Many of them are not even on the internet, let alone members of this forum. It would make Karin look bad if these customers turn up and find themselves barred from the auction.

After all, the main purpose of having this forum in the first place is so we can help promote the hobby and spread the interest around. We shouldn't discourage people who are not internet-connected from keeping and raising killies. The more killifish breeders there are in Singapore, the merrier it will be for everyone.

Money speaks loudest so I'm afraid I will have no choice but to let Tom's eggs go to the highest bidder. Frankly, I like Tom's fish too so I may bid for the eggs on the day of the gathering. I'm just hoping that if I fail to get the eggs, they would at least go to someone who's a member here.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Money speaks loudest so I'm afraid I will have no choice but to let Tom's eggs go to the highest bidder. Frankly, I like Tom's fish too so I may bid for the eggs on the day of the gathering. I'm just hoping that if I fail to get the eggs, they would at least go to someone who's a member here.
    Kwek Leong, all the points raised are valid and well taken. Guess I'll have to visit the ATM to fatten my wallet before heading down to the gathering! It definitely looks like a fun Saturday to me!

Just to add another thought... if the bags are verified with 25 eggs and above, would it be a wise move to split the bag to a dozen eggs each? That way it kinda spreads out the loot and doubles the thrill!

See 'ya all there!! (and be early to get the best seats!)
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    I'm glad they got to you ok.

Just a quick note for the people who end up with the Nothos, please ignore the G number and the number in the circle. Its just the code I use so I know how many generations I've bred the fish and how many bags of eggs I've had from that generation.
    Regards
    Tom