Country
    Singapore

Newbie questions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

Someone sent me an email asking several questions. I like to help those who are new in the hobby but please understand that if I have to answer the questions through private email one at a time, I won't have time to do anything else.

Anyway, he asked:

Do you know whether your friends will sell the male together with the
    female fish. I hope they do because I prefer to keep fish of the same
    spp in pairs and watch their behaviour towards each other. At least they
    don't feel so lonely. Can you make known my requests to your friends?

I have 2 more questions and hope you can help to answer:
    1) Is a planted aquarium good enough for keeping killifish or must some
    kind of shelter (like a hollow stone) be provided for them?
    2) I currently have a planted aquarium with schools of fully grown
    cardinal tetras in it and hope to add killifishes to my collection. Do
    you see any problem in that?

About 2 years ago, it would be very difficult to find killifish in Singapore, much less the females. But now, we have quite an active killifish scene so you shouldn't have any problems getting the females. Among killifish keepers, we have a saying, "If you don't want to breed them, don't keep them". So it's highly unlikely that the hobbyists here who are selling the fish are unwilling to sell you the females, unless of course, you don't want them.

There's no reason why killies cannot be kept in planted tanks. In fact, I think many of us here strive to do that. It's like marrying 2 worlds, the most beautiful fish in a tank with beautiful plants. You don't have to provide shelters for killies. They are not cave dwellers.

As for keeping killies with other fishes, it's hard to generalise because there are something like more than 700 species. Different genus of killies can exhibit different patterns of behaviour. The Fundulopanchax are quite aggressive and will bite the tails off slow-swimming fishes. But the Aphyosemions or Nothobranchius should co-inhabit well with your Cardinals.

Loh K L

Feedback Score

Hello, I'm the Newbie

Hi, I'm Felix Wong from Choa Chu Kang Singapore, the newbie mentioned in Kwek Leong's email on 13 Nov.

Kwek Leong, thanks for answering my questions.

I've been a subscriber to this forum for about 2 weeks and am very glad to know that locally we also have killfish enthusiasts. I look forward to meeting you all on the 29 Nov and of course hope to pick up some killifishes that day.

I have kept a planted aquarium for 2 years, always keeping schools of cardinal tetras, tried red-nosed tetras, harlequin and pygmy rasboras and 3-lined pencil fishes. Looking forward to add killifishes into my fish tank.

I have a few other questions and hope to hear responses from you all:

1) Can different types/spp of killifishes be kept together in the same tank? Are they territorial towards each other?

2) I read somewhere in the forum that it is best to keep trios of the same spp. Is there any particular reason?

3) Do the killifishes protects their eggs or frys from other fishes? I assume the answer is no since they are egg scatterers.

4) Is Aphyosemion elberti available locally? Does anyone have this fish as I would like to purchase a pair of male & female?
    (How do I attach a photo to this email?)

Thanks.
    Felix Wong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    have 2 more questions and hope you can help to answer:
    1) Is a planted aquarium good enough for keeping killifish or must some
    kind of shelter (like a hollow stone) be provided for them?
    2) I currently have a planted aquarium with schools of fully grown
    cardinal tetras in it and hope to add killifishes to my collection. Do
    you see any problem in that?
    Just to share with you my own experience. Just 3 weeks ago, I added Sim Magnificus in my planted tank. Out the dozen, 3~4 are more "outgoing" swimming in the open at ease, they even snatch foods from other fishes. The rest prefer the shade of my stem plant bush. They are not that shy or timid, they do fine. I have cardinals too, no problem. However, noone can be certain of fish's behaviour even the same breed can be timid in one tank and agressive in another. It works fine for me, so, just try.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hello, I'm the Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Felix Wong
    Hi, I'm Felix Wong from Choa Chu Kang Singapore, the newbie mentioned in Kwek Leong's email on 13 Nov.
    Welcome to the forum Felix. Good to have someone staying very near me too, as I'm in Choa Chu Kang as well.

I look forward to meeting you all on the 29 Nov and of course hope to pick up some killifishes that day.
    Yes, be there!! I'm sure it's gonna be lots of fun; meeting up, auctions and freebies. Search me out when you're there as I'm terrible with names (and generally, a bad memory).

Of the few fishes you mentioned, I suspect the cardinal tetras and harlequins will give your killies a 'haircut'. They're occasional fin-nippers, in case you didn't realize that.

1) Can different types/spp of killifishes be kept together in the same tank? Are they territorial towards each other?
    Yes.
    1st, so long they are not from the same genus, for fear of hybridizing.
    2nd, if the killies share the same water requirements (Notho needs salt, while Aphyosemions don't).

2) I read somewhere in the forum that it is best to keep trios of the same spp. Is there any particular reason?
    It's to keep the male from harassing just one female... in other words, to keep him happy! :wink:

3) Do the killifishes protects their eggs or frys from other fishes? I assume the answer is no since they are egg scatterers.
    Nope. Nadda. When it comes to killies, it's "love-'em-and-leave-'em".

4) Is Aphyosemion elberti available locally? Does anyone have this fish as I would like to purchase a pair of male & female?
    I don't think the Aphyosemion elberti is in our 'database' yet. But I may be wrong, since members here are known to import eggs on their own and we don't exactly have a 'database' to speak of. They're nice fishes (of course) and I too, am looking forward to acquiring them, be it eggs, frys or young trios.

You'd have to upload your pics to a online server first, then hotlink the URL in your postings.

Alternatively, check and see if our 'Boss' is willing to receive and upload the pic to his server.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hello, I'm the Newbie

Felix,

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you finally found your way here.

The answer to this question is both yes and no. With some killies, it's alright to keep them together as they are peace-loving fishes but with others which are more aggressive, they will tear each others' fins to pieces. Some killies are territorial while others are not but generally, a male killifish kept alone for a while in a tank will start to believe the tank is his territory so he becomes very aggressive towards other males when they are introduced into his tank, even if they are of the same species. When I had the Austrolebias nigripinnis, I once saw 2 males locked in a death's embrace in each other's jaws. After I separated them, one was so badly injured he died a few days later.

Cross-breeding killies is something that is actively discouraged so that's one good reason why we keep only one species in each tank. But if what you want to know is why a trio, it's because a male can sexually harass a lone female to the point of death. So it's always better to have 2 females to one male. A reverse trio, 2 males to one female can work just as well as a normal trio sometimes. 2 males are so busy fighting each other, the female is left alone.

You assumed correctly.

I don't know of anyone here who keeps the Aphyosemion elberti. If you find someone who breeds them in Singapore, I am interested in getting a trio too.

This question is best left to Mac-user in the FAQ/Help forum to answer. Maybe you should ask him there or take a look in that forum to see if the answer is already available.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Hi Kwek Leong, Freddie & Ronnie
    Thanks for your valuable advice. See you this Saturday. Felix Wong

By the way, how did you cut out a portion of my questions at a time (put it in a white box) and then reply to those portions?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix Wong
    By the way, how did you cut out a portion of my questions at a time (put it in a white box) and then reply to those portions?
    Hi Felix,

What they did was merely quoting what you posted previously and answer to certain questions you asked.
    Therefore, when you post any reply, you can either click on post reply or quote. The current message will appeared in the reply box. You can quote the relevant lines and delete the rest before you reply. The command icons are above the reply box. Hope you understand what I am typing. :wink:
    Lily Choo