Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Killifish are popular in Japan too!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Killifish are popular in Japan too!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Was at An Aquarium and Aqua Forest in Tokyo yesterday. They have killifishes too! And quite a few variety too. Too bad I can't read Japanese and don't know much about killifishes and their identification. But they are sure pretty. In Aqua Forrest itself, there's one rack with 16 tanks and almost all of them are killifish and there's another similar rack with another 16 tanks of which 4 are also killifish tanks. Apistograma, Corydoras and Killifishes have about the same number of tanks. Every tank has a card with lots of details like size, pH, location etc. Very professionally presented.

I did see a tank full of orange lyretail (one of the 4 types I can identify) and they seem to be spawning in the tank in a plate of peat. And Rocket Panchax (one of the other 4 types I can identify) were sold in pairs for about 10 times the price in Singapore.

Also saw the ProFile 100 issue on Killifish, as well as some other Japanese publications featuring killifishes. Very nice pictures!

By the time I left, I think the staff had to take a mop to clean up my drool in the shop.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Killifish are popular in Japan too!

Quote Originally Posted by benny
    ...In Aqua Forrest itself, there's once rack with 16 tanks and almost all of them are killifish and there's another similar rack with another 16 tanks of which 4 are also killifish tanks. Apistograma, Corydoras and Killifishes have about the same number of tanks. Every tank has a card with lots of details like size, pH, location etc. Very professionally presented.
    Hi Benny,
    It looks like you enjoyed the visit to the LFS and I cannot imagine how impressive 16 tanks of killies would be. Did you manage to shoot a pic or two (or is it not allowed)?

I did see a tank full of orange lyretail (one of the 4 types I can identify) and they seem to be spawning in the tank in a plate of peat.
    If you can join us at the gathering, you can grab some young lyretails in both Chocolate and Orange color variant.

Feeling more gung-ho and want to take up the challenge to care for new born frys? There should be some eggs on the table too.

Back at my australe tank, I'm observing young adults spawning on gravel! I don't think they realized what the darn mop was for...
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ronnie,

Did managed to get a general shot of the shop, but the killifish tanks were near a planted tank setup and the reflection from the MH light setup makes it impossible to get pictures of the killifishes. Anyway, the fishes will appear too small if I take a step back and tried to shoot from the side.

As for the gathering, I'll should be able to make it and really looking forward to meeting you guys there. Am hoping to see more pretty killifishes there. But family commitment as well as a hectic job prevents me from trying to hatch the eggs and raise the fries myself. I think I'll just stick to appreciating them for the time being.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I've being working with 2 guys from Japan on egg exchange basis. The problem that hinder them from getting eggs from overseas is that they can't read or write english well.

When I receive the eggs from one of them recently, to my surprise out of 40 eggs of the Fundulopanchax sjoestedi he sent to me, 30 odd eggs survive the shipment! I've manage to hatch 11 fry till todate. My experience tells me that eggs of Fundulopanchax sjoestedi don't really travel well. To make matter worst, they're not easy to hatch. Even eye-up eggs will fungus on you!

So I'm not surprise to see killifish in Japan. :wink:
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That is great news! Au, after so many attemps you manage to hatch 11 fry of Fundulopanchax sjoestedi. So how many bag of eggs you have tried so far?

Eric

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Yeo
    So how many bag of eggs you have tried so far?
    I lost count but one thing I quite sure is I've spent about SGD200++ for SJO!
    Au SL