Thread: 1st time on non annual

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

1st time on non annual

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi experts, tomorrow (Thursday) our Killies eggs will arrive from US, I need some instructions on hatching them.
    • do I put all the eggs in one tray or seperate them in few cups?
    • need to put in MB or Acraflavin, (couldn’t find this), O2 tablet, peat moss, etc???

Eric Yeo

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Eric,

Everyone here are still very new to killifish. Each of us is still learning everyday.

When you receive the eggs, try to see if the eggs are eye-up. (I presume it should be) The eggs should be packed in a perti-dish.

Look at the attached picture. (Gan, pardon me for using your image as I too lazy to take my own picture.)

1.)Reomve the cotton wool and make sure no eggs is stick on the wool.
    2.)Put the perti-dish into a hatching tray with just tap water.
    3.)Wait patiently for them to hatch.
    4.) Wait again
    5.) Wait further.....
    6.)By 2nd weeks, all the eggs should hatch out.

Some eggs may just be too stubbon to hatch. You can dry the peat on the second day and rewet it again 2 days later. Repeat this for a few times till all the eggs hatch. :wink:

Hope that this helps...
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks Au, but you don't need Acriflavin or ghost prawn to get rid of fungus?

Eric Yeo

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    If the eggs turn bad, it'll still die off. The shrimp and Acriflavin will only protect it from fungus but can't revive a dead egg.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Au SL
    2.)Put the perti-dish into a hatching tray with just tap water.
    Au, I don't think it's a good idea to tell others to use tap water to hatch eggs. I use tap water too but generally, the conventional practice is to either use aged water or water from an established tank. The water that comes out from our taps differ in chemical properties from source to source. For those of us who live in HDB estates higher than the 6th floor, it's generally alright to use tap water as the chlorine would have evaporated by the time the water reaches our taps. But for those people who live in private houses, their water comes from the mains below the ground and the chlorine content could be quite high.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    To hatch Aphy, I was told to add a little aquarium salt to dechlorinated water. I think the measurements were 1 tsp salt per gallon of water. It is advised to let the salt water sit out a day or two so the salt is distributed evenly in the water. The salt will keep down the growth of bacteria. Also, note that the water needs to be dechloronated. My tap water is loaded with chlorine so I let my water sit out overnight and add Start Right to age it further. Be sure that if you use salt to use aquarium salt, not table or rock salt as these don't allow the water to move freely. Also, I was advised to put an air stone or air filter in with the salt water to mix it up a little better and to leave it there for the hatching of the fry. The hatching container for mine would be a small plastic shoebox type of container so there would be plenty of room for the fry to get away from the air.

Hope this helps!!

Please note that I have never hatched fry of my own, these are the instructions I was given by the guy who sent me some fish a couple of months ago. To his credit, he just hatched 2 bags of nothos eggs this past week with over 100 fry each. Also, he hatched over 200 p-82 fry (4 of which were given to me) this past summer. He seems to be very very knowledgable so if you feel the above is correct, please use it. BUT, DO NOT BLAME ME IF SOMETHING HAPPENS AND NONE OF THE EGGS HATCH!! I am just offering my opinion and I am by NO means an expert.

Heather

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you all for the reply.

Eric Yeo