Country
    Singapore

Dave's New Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

David Grim aka discusdave sent me 3 pictures of his 240 gallon planted tank. David said if you like his pictures, you can write to him and he will send them to you through email. Those that are shown here have already been down-sized.

LEFT

MIDDLE

RIGHT

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Thanks for posting the pictures for me, Kwek Leong. I must say that this tank is a "work in progress," so to say. I am simply holding some stems in this tank while I set up another tank, and I am trying to propogate some of the others for more volume.

The final aquascape is still up in the air.

The clump of Pellia (old name I know) is growing, but I just noticed it has started to decline. I don't know why there is such trouble growing this plant in this country? I know of only one person wo can grow this stuff really well. Thank goodness she lives near and keeps me supplied when I kill it.

A tank this large and deep gives you lots of options. I am proabaly going to thin out the number of species I have in the tank a good bit and go for fewer, but more of, certain species.
    Regards,
    David Grim

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The tank seems huge to me, is it 1.8W x 0.6D x 0.75H?

What filter you use and how you enrich the water with CO2?

Natural and nice looking tank, ease the eyes and mind. What's your plan for the bare ground (I have hard time selecting plants for such)?

Feedback Score
    Freddy,
    The tank is a bit larger. I converted to metric. The tank is 2.4W x .6D x .6H. In Standard that is 8 feet x 2 feet x 2 feet. It is a big boy, all right. 240 gallons.

I have a sump under the aquarium stand, which is about 50 gallons capacity. The tank is reef ready, meaning it is drilled witrh holes in the bottom of the overflow in each back corner of the tank. Water exits/return to the tank thru these openings.

The sump has a chamber where I have some wet/dry type plastic filter media (bioballs). The water goes thru a foam prefilter and then thru the bioballs, then another foam block, and is taken by the return pump.

I have an Aqua-Medic C-1000 CO2 reactor that is mounted in the sump, and is powered by a dedicated Rio 1900 submersible pump. The outflow from the CO2 reactor is directed toward the return pump intake on the sump.

As for the open spots, I have some of the red micro tennelus in the tank, which is growing, and I have some glosso growing. I had a lot more glosso previously, but had to remove a bunch when it got covered in algae a while back. It is starting to rebound, though. I am also trying to grow monosolenium tenerum, but it hasn't done well for me yet.
    Regards,
    David Grim

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow, 8 footer, big one.

Why do you use a separate pump for the reactor? I supposed you could hook it up directly to the return pump.

What type of light are you using and how much power?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dave,

The hobbyists in Singapore usually have some sort of material which they paste on the backs of their tanks to make the plants stand out. Most people use Oyama paper which comes in all sorts of colours. Black is one of the favourites. Blue is a close second. The Oyama paper is very good because they stick to the glass very well and there won't be any air pockets between the paper and the glass.

Your tank lacks focus. I think you should also plant the stem plants in groups instead of individually. Crypts too look better when planted in groups so it's always better to plant them in bunches close to one another.

Overall, your tank looks great but you won't win any prizes with this one

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    I have reaquascaped parts of the tank and put in a black background.
    Regards,
    David Grim

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I can't see the pictures.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kc
    I can't see the pictures.
    I hope you can see them now, KC. My computer is up and running but something happened when Mac-user shifted my pictures to another folder on my new hard disk. The route changed so many pictures which were uploaded on this forum are no longer visible. I spent the better part of the afternoon editing many posts so that the pictures posted will appear again.

Loh K L