Country
    Singapore

Our eggs have arrived

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear all,

In our first mass-order for eggs which arrived on Nov 20th 2003, the species brought in by respective members were;

Ronwill
    Rivulus xiphidius 'PK 15'
    Aphy. exigoideum 'Ngoudoufola'
    * Terranatos dolichopterus 'V96/7'- 2nd shipment

Lily
    Riv. cylindraceus (Al Castro strain)
    * Fp filamentosus 'Ikeja' - 2nd shipment

Timebomb
    Fp. sjoestedti (instead of Niger Delta, replaced with SJO VAKA)

Gan
    Aphy. striatum 'Lamberene'

Kah Kheng
    Aphy. christyi 'Kinshasa'
    Aphy. bivittatum 'Funge CI 91'(?)

A. Rashid
    Fp. sjoestedti 'Dwarf Red'
    * Notho. palmqvisti 'Ramisi' KE 01-11 - 2nd shipment

Zul
    Aphy cognatum 'kinsuka' F1
    * Fp filamentosus 'Ikeja' - 2nd shipment

Jesper (Rong Sheng)
    Aphy. Australe 'BSWG 97/24'
    Riv. cylindraceus (Al Castro strain)

Eric Yeo
    Aphy. striatum 'Lamberene'

Feedback on egg's condition, hatching experience, fry grow-out and other observations can be followed-up here.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

21/11/20003: Fp. sjoestedti 'Dwarf Red'

As of today 21/11/2003 at 0510hrs, I saw 3 wrigglers already.... .
    Liquidfry no 1 dosed. Can I give them microworm at this stage?
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Our eggs have arrived

Dear all,

The dish on my Aphyosemion exigoideum 'Ngoudoufola' states 19 eggs and although I didn't detect any fungicized eggs at Kwek Leong's place, something else was bugging me.

Returning back at work after collecting the eggs, I examined the Aphy. dish again, but this time under a stereoscope, and noticed a number of dead hatches, meaning that the frys had hatch and died during shipping.

I've taken some pics to log the progress of my order and a webbie will be up shortly (hey, I've gotta work too you know :wink: )

Of the 2 species I received, the instruction on the plastic petri dish says, "WET NOW!!" for the Aphyosemion exigoideum 'Ngoudoufola'. So, that's what I did last night and now, there're two little buggers... not free-swimming yet.

As for the Rivulus xiphidius 'PK 15', there were 2 dishes, labelled;
    12 eggs - collected NOV 14-15th. (only 5 good eggs)
    13 eggs - collected NOV 15-16th. (only 3 good eggs)

Under the stereoscope, I can see embryol development and could faintly make out a small beating heart, BUT none of the good eggs are eyed-up.

For those who have had experience with the Rivulus xiphidius 'PK 15', I'd like to have an idea of incubation period, or do I have to go by eyeing-up? (Tony T, I think you're the most experienced here and I'd really appreciate some words of wisdom)

There were a fair bit of fungicized eggs which I removed, for fear of the rest being affected.

The following montage of egg-pics tell a better story of "the good, the bad and the ugly"... urm... I meant moldy!

Stay tuned... there's more pics to come!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    No signs of life in my two hatching trays yet. There were 8 fungused eggs in my Aphy. exigoideum 'Ngoudoufola' but all the eggs of my Fp. sjoestedti (SJO VAKA) looked good.

Ronnie, what's a stereoscope? Is it a piece of equipment somewhere between a microscope and a magnifying glass?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    No signs of life in my two hatching trays yet. There were 8 fungused eggs in my Aphy. exigoideum 'Ngoudoufola' but all the eggs of my Fp. sjoestedti (SJO VAKA) looked good.
    heh Kwek Leong, sometimes I wonder if it's better I see fungicized eggs instead of looking at frys in various stages of decomposition... my heart was aching for these sorry frys that were never given a chance to see my world...

I just hope my "terror-something" (actually Terranatos dolichopterus :wink: ) will do better in the next shipment and good luck with your eggs buddy!

Ronnie, what's a stereoscope? Is it a piece of equipment somewhere between a microscope and a magnifying glass?
    You're partially correct. Imagine the offspring between a binocular and a microscope! This 'magnifying section' is mounted to a stand, something like a camera-copying stand, and 'focusing' is dialed along a toothed-rail/pillar. It is 'stereo' in the sense that there's a 'left' and 'right' view, much like a binocular or bino-scope.

Larger picture here.

Anyway, what I wanted desperately was to take a even closer shot of the eggs, which is beyond what my PnS (Point & Shoot) camera's digital zoom can provide for (and digital zoom sucks!).

For the fun of it, I manually focused the object on the scope, removed one of the eye-cups and hand-held my cam to shoot through it (don't try this if you have fumbling fingers!).

Nobody said that I can use 2 pieces of equipment together like that.... but then again, nobody said I shouldn't either! Like I said, thinking out of the box doesn't mean thinking within the confines of the 4 walls!

That said, the end results was pretty interesting... the combination of stereoscope and with/without light (2X - two times) digital zooming, gave me the following pics...

Love the pic but hated the hairy stuff!

Multiple shots of eggs that kept drying out from the twin halogen illumination.

Eyed-up egg of Aphy. exigoideum 'Ngoudoufola' and a overzealous, over-magnified shot of a decomposing dead-hatch! Really LARGE pic here.

There's more to come... stay tuned!

<going back to work before MY BOSS starts suspecting... :wink: >
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 21/11/20003: Fp. sjoestedti 'Dwarf Red'

Quote Originally Posted by A.Rashid
    As of today 21/11/2003 at 0510hrs, I saw 3 wrigglers already.... .
    Liquidfry no 1 dosed. Can I give them microworm at this stage?
    Rashid, the hatching water that I'm using now were dosed Liquidfry, on alternative days, for about a week. This is to increase the infusoria/micro-organism count, as the frys' first foods.

The tray I'm using is small and water level is a shallow once inch, which will pollute rather quickly if I fed microworms now and the frys are unable to eat it. I don't know about yours, but my my frys aren't free-swimming yet and egg-sac were intact when I last checked on them.

If your hatching water is 'seasoned', you can afford to wait a few more days.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    My whole Aphy. Australe 'BSWG 97/24' hatching tray was knocked and disturbed by my brother's friend. As a result, all the peat had spilled out into the whole tray. I was wondering what to do and i decided to give Mr Loh a call for help. Luckily no peat was out of the tray.
    As i was checking at the tray, i saw one really small fry swimming. Hopefully everything will turn out fine and in a few days time, there will
    be more than one fry around.
    Regards
    Lu RongSheng (RS)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by R^13^S
    My whole Aphy. Australe 'BSWG 97/24' hatching tray was knocked and disturbed by my brother's friend. As a result, all the peat had spilled out into the whole tray.
    Hey Rong Sheng, your brother has some pretty mean friends... why don't they pick on something their own size!

If all the peat and eggs are still in the hatching tray, there's no reason to be overly worried. You can always siphon the frys to a grow-out tank later.

Hopefully everything will turn out fine and in a few days time, there will be more than one fry around.
    Your journey on killie-road has just begun, but my encouragement is still valid... grow these australes well and I'll be the first in queue to buy a pair from you (and I'll even add some other species, as a bonus!)
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    You can always siphon the frys to a grow-out tank later.
    Instead of moving the fry, I would rather move the peat. When you are sure all the eggs have hatched, use an airline to siphon out the peat in the tray. Fry are sensitive to water changes so it's best not to move them from one tray to another.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For me(Aphy. striatum 'Lamberene'), I got 13 good eyed eggs & 1 fungused out of the 15 labelled on the container(I thought I should have 20 ? ). Collected on 15-16/11, I still got a few days to wait for their arrival.

Gan.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For my Aphy. striatum 'Lamberene' (24 eggs), I got 8 fry, 1 egg in forced hatch container, cannot find another 16 eggs, need Ron's stereoscope to find.
    For my Aphyosemion exigoideum 'Ngoudoufola' 6 eggs fungus, still no hatch.
    Eric Yeo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fp. sjoestedti 'Dwarf Red' frys

out of 30 eggs.. only manage to see 8 wrigglers but 3 did not make it so I am left with 5... still waiting for more to hatch...

If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwek Leong
    Instead of moving the fry, I would rather move the peat. When you are sure all the eggs have hatched, use an airline to siphon out the peat in the tray. Fry are sensitive to water changes so it's best not to move them from one tray to another.
    Kwek Leong, you're correct in not disturbing or adding stress to the newly hatched but when I mentioned transferring the frys, I meant for them to be stable and eating well first.

Any sign of life from the Aphy. exigoideum 'Ngoudoufola' and Fp. sjoestedti (SJO VAKA) yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Gan
    For me(Aphy. striatum 'Lamberene'), I got 13 good eyed eggs & 1 fungused out of the 15 labelled on the container (I thought I should have 20 ? )
    Gan, any frys from the striatum yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Yeo
    For my Aphy. striatum 'Lamberene' (24 eggs), I got 8 fry, 1 egg in forced hatch container, cannot find another 16 eggs, need Ron's stereoscope to find.
    Eric, WOW! 8 frys?!! that's pretty good eh. For the stereoscope, if you're hanging around Balestier Road, drop by and you can use it. I'd rather not carry it around! :wink:

For my Aphyosemion exigoideum 'Ngoudoufola' 6 eggs fungus, still no hatch.
    There's 'supposed' to be 19 eggs in my Ap. exigoideum dish, and to date, I have 3 frys (one more from yesterday), but I couldn't find the rest either!!

As for the Rivulus xiphidius, I can see rapid development in the eggs but no eye iris is obvious... yet.

Under the scope, the spine is well formed and occasionally, see the little fry wriggling inside the egg, perhaps responding to either the light or heat from the twin halogen lamps!

When wetting them or moving them slightly to take a pic, I get so worried that I'd puncture the shell!! ... which is why I have a little plastic tank... just in case! :wink:
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My Aphy. striatum 'Lamberene' 9 fry, 1 egg fungus and trying to look for the other 14 eggs tonight .
    Eric Yeo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Err.. a check on the net show Aphy. striatum 'Lamberene' is spell as 'Lambarene'. Can anyone confirm the actual name ? Thank you.

Ronnie, all my eggs still not due yet . No hatch.

Gan.

Feedback Score
    Aphy. christyi 'Kinshasa' - 6 eyed up eggs but no fries yet
    Aphy. bivittatum 'Funge CI 91 - 1 fry & 2 eyed up eyes

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Gan, it's Lambaréné. its a population from southwestern Gabon.

refer to Tim Addis's site on West African Killies. highly informative website.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Feedback on egg's condition, hatching experience, fry grow-out and other observations can be followed-up here.
    Feed back on the Riv. cylindraceus (Al Castro strain) I bought, managed to get one fry on the day of collection. I supposed some eggs could not wait and hatched during the journey. I took some pictures of the eggs. The pictures may not be so clear compare to yours but are able to tell the result.

http://community.webshots.com/script...ecurity=vinyWq
    http://community.webshots.com/script...ecurity=CtguGV
    http://community.webshots.com/script...ecurity=YmzHjN
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by lily
    Feed back on the Riv. cylindraceus (Al Castro strain) I bought, managed to get one fry on the day of collection. I supposed some eggs could not wait and hatched during the journey.
    For those frys that hatched during transit, did they make it or are you looking at 'dead-hatch'?

Lily, I'm unable to view those pics... keep getting the message,
    Webshots Community Error
    A problem has been detected
    You do not appear to be the owner of this album.
    Make sure you are logged in.

It's just a suggestion... but perhaps you might want to try www.ofoto.com or www.angelfire.com

IMHO, these two are quite user friendly except that angelfire gives you 20MB to do up those nice web pages too (just like what Tom did!).
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Aphy. striatum 'Lamberene', got 9 fry, 1 egg fungus, found another 3 good eggs last night and 11 eggs cannot be found.
    For my Aphyosemion exigoideum 'Ngoudoufola', I found 5 good eggs, Ron when will these eggs hatch, it stated on the container collected 13 - 15 Nov, all eye-up already.
    Eric Yeo

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast