Country
    Singapore

pseudepiplatys_annulatus

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Anybody in here got any experience in breeding the abovementioned.
    A few weeks back I bought 5 of them and now left with 4. Since most LFS(local fish shop) sells only the male I thought mine was all male too. but after today's incident while busy try to photo shoot all my fish collection. I notice this pair. Sorry my side tank surface a little bit dirty.

from closer look of it it should be a pair and they've been swimming around together, wriggling at where there's moss.

I also look at the other 2 I have and also seem to be one feale and a male..

I have no experience in breeding them and since they're in my community tank, should I remove the pair to a another tank and let them have a private "session" together?

A.Rashid aka Abdul Rashid Woodi
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: pseudepiplatys_annulatus

Quote Originally Posted by A.Rashid
    should I remove the pair to a another tank and let them have a private "session" together?
    I think you should do that, Rashid. With killies that are non-annuals, it's best to let them breed naturally in a heavily planted tank when one is unsure of their breeding cycles.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry Loh, I am a bit confused with your statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    I think you should do that, Rashid.
    reference to my earlier question "should I remove the pair?" or to your statement :
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    ]..it's best to let them breed naturally in a heavily planted tank when one is unsure of their breeding cycles.
    Sorry for my confusion ......
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry for not making myself clear, Rashid. But my statement about "letting the fish breed naturally" was in reference to what I quoted which was your question "should I remove the pair?"

On hindsight, I should have written "It's best to remove fish to a heavily planted tank where they can be kept by themselves without other fish present and left to breed naturally when one is unsure of their breeding cycles".

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    OK now I am very clear... so I will them in my planted tank then... Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Anybody in here got any experience in breeding the abovementioned.
    Rashid, I didn't observe the actual spawing (nor did I have anything to do with it) but I found 2 young ANN frys, which I reported in this thread.

Although your pics could have been better, I'd still say those were good shots because you'll hardly find them on the web. That said, I've downloaded your pics into my harddisk for personal reference and would like to have your permission to post them up when I do up a page on ANNs. These ANNs happens to be one of my fave... but I don't have much 'luck' with them.

FWIW, my 2 ANNs are in a grow-out tank with other frys... and it's a circus in there with...
    AUS Gold
    AUS Chocolate
    BIT Lagos
    Pseudomugil gertrudae or Spotted Blue-eye
    White Cloud minnows
    Oh... I should mention that ANNs are mostly surface feeders.

Referring to the pics again, in the 1st, the male has a bluish sheen on the male while the female don't. Males also have more colorful tails and are generally bigger in size.

If I had a known pair now, I'd move them to a small plastic tank that's loaded with moss and perhaps with only ONE cherry shrimp, to help take care of uneaten foods. But try it your way and see how things work out.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Ronnie...and yes any pics posted by me to this forum is free for all to use. If you want, I can give you the unedited version with it's thrue resolution.let me know....

I have already read your post about these ANN, I know my pics could have been better but saw them in action so was a bit excited to see it 1st hand. so just point and shoot without realising my camera was on manual mode... so that was the best I did...

after that I took my tripod for better stability and waited for nearly 2 hours for another shot but it did'nt happen.... anyway my camera do not have macro lens.... still saving $ to get one....

I am still comtemplating whether to leave them alone in my community tank or remove them...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Ronnie...and yes any pics posted by me to this forum is free for all to use. If you want, I can give you the unedited version with it's thrue resolution.let me know....
    Yes please and thank you, Rashid. I usually have a small thumbnail on the page, that's linked to a larger image. I do it this way because I'm on dial-up 56k and that it doesn't take ages for others to download.

...but saw them in action so was a bit excited to see it 1st hand. so just point and shoot without realising my camera was on manual mode...
    I was excited too and should have said that the bluish sheen is on the gill plate of the male! :wink:

after that I took my tripod for better stability and waited for nearly 2 hours for another shot but it did'nt happen....
    Just goes to show you that Nike was right.... JUST DO IT!!

anyway my camera do not have macro lens.... still saving $ to get one....
    I think I'm going off topic here... but what's the camera you're using? IIRC, was the Canon 10D? What's the damage on a macro lens?

I am still comtemplating whether to leave them alone in my community tank or remove them...
    Don't contemplate! Move 'em to their private honeymoon suite immediately!! :wink:
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    IIRC, was the Canon 10D? What's the damage on a macro lens?
    Yups it's a canon 10D alright. Lenses for this EF lenses is quite expensive. Cheapest is about $600+... friends suggested to me to get 2nd hand ones but had bad experience with 2nd hand items for camera product so am still saving for a new one.

Will be shifting the pair to their new home soon after I i figure out where to put them... heheheh wife been nagging about my fish collection lately....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yups it's a canon 10D alright. Lenses for this EF lenses is quite expensive. Cheapest is about $600+
    I've had my Canon (EOS 620, Speedlite 420EZ + 2 tele) for about 13 years and if they had an optional digital back for this model, I wouldn't be looking elsewhere. Too bad you won't be at the gathering... otherwise, I would be able to have a hands-on with the 10D.

Anyway, I thought you might like an update on my ANN frys which are about 3 weeks old now. At 5mm, they're still very tiny but are eating well on BBS and microworms. There is also the occasional squirt of vinegar eels when I'm not too busy. See how closely they're 'hugging' the water surface?

Here's a quick pic of the grow-out tank. The little white specks are the BBS!

... heheheh wife been nagging about my fish collection lately....
    Oh... Rashid, did I mention that I've one more empty but established tank? :wink:
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Too bad you won't be at the gathering... otherwise, I would be able to have a hands-on with the 10D.
    If you like Ronnie, I can bring my now very obsolete D60 for you to play with on Sat. Are the pictures of your pseudepiplatys annulatusfries taken with your EOS620?

Clown Killifish are one of my favorite fishes and they were the first fish that I bought.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    If you like Ronnie, I can bring my now very obsolete D60 for you to play with on Sat. Are the pictures of your pseudepiplatys annulatusfries taken with your EOS620?
    Yes! Benny, that would be very nice! Thank you. I'm using the Canon Power Shot A200 for most of the pics uploaded here as well as those for my web pages. It has alot of features missing from my EOS620 but my lenses' minimal focusing distance doesn't get me as up close as the A200.

It's still big bucks for a digital SLR but when a windfall does come around, I'll be heading down to grab me one. BTW, which of Canon's macro lenses are worth considering with the D60/D10 bodies?

You've made me very envious with those gorgeous fish pics... <drool!>

Clown Killifish are one of my favorite fishes and they were the first fish that I bought.
    Yeah, I find them very comical, full of character and are amongst my fave. If I'm lucky enough, hopefully the 2 young ANN frys I'm growing-out now, will grow up to be a pair... then I'll have some fun with them!

I'll be posting up some pics of a small 'photo tank' soon and would like your comments on it.

So I'll see 'ya on Saturday then and thanks for lugging the bugger down!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Rashid,

I recently received 3 ANNs from Desmond and he says that they're all males, but I think the following pics prove otherwise... which means I'll have to find another tank to spawn them!!

These were taken yesterday and oh... please excuse the brine shrimps floating all over the place... the spawn was unexpected :wink:

Their courtship dance.

Slow waltz.... "could I have this dance for the rest of my life..." (as sung by Anne Murray).

Whoopie time in a multi-colored mop!... wondered who's the bugger who bought all the dark green yarn! :wink:

Enjoy!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Thanks ,Ron,
    I did enjoy those pictures!!
    I never took much notice of the pseudepiplatys_annulatus before but they are beginning to get my attention...
    How does one decided which one of the killies that they like best ? I look at all the fish here in this room,and the more I look at each one the more undecided I become!
    Oh, by the way, "off topic". I am changing to characterlink for internet service.The aol service will end tomorrow and the other will not be in service until next week sometime.So I will not be heard from for a few days. I will miss not be able to visit , it's going to be a long week!
    See ya all next week.
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Darn... ha... never realised I had a female : )
    best of luck to you Ronnie! : )

DesmonD

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbbear
    I did enjoy those pictures!!
    Good! Then squatting around the tank was worth it! It was equally fun for me to have 'em uploaded.

I never took much notice of the pseudepiplatys_annulatus before but they are beginning to get my attention...
    Deb, the ANNs are one of my fave and they can be quite addictive to observe. Besides the grow out tank which houses the BIT Lagos, I spend a fair bit of time just looking at the 'clowns'.

In fact, I'm searching for Pseudepiplatys annulatus Monrovia... they're breath-takingly beautiful.

How does one decided which one of the killies that they like best ?
    heh... you know it doesn't work that way and that's how most ended up with more than one tank! :wink:

I look at all the fish here in this room,and the more I look at each one the more undecided I become!
    The answer is pretty obvious... just get 'em all!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    RON WROTE:
    The answer is pretty obvious... just get 'em all!

Just get them all..hmmmm,700 some species.....
    Now that would keep my fingers wet!!!!
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175