Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Austrolebias Nigripinnis Info

Feedback Score

Austrolebias Nigripinnis Info

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi i whant to know some metods to breed this fish, i have 10 nigripinnis in a 40L Tank....How can i colect the eggs from there?, this fish eggs all time?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Austrolebias Nigripinnis Info

Killie_cosmin,

Here in this forum, people like to address each other by their real names so you will find you will get a better response to your questions if you put down a real name at the end of your posts.

I don't quite understand your question as the answer seems to be pretty obvious. The nigripinnis are peat divers and if you have so many of them in your tank, you should put in a breeding bowl.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Are you trying to mean that "How Do I collect the eggs from the fishes?"
    If that's the case, you should use a fairly tall jar or bowl and put peat moss in. The nigripinnis will dive in to lay eggs as they're Peat Divers.
    Since you have 10 fishes which i suppose you have both male and female, you can collect the eggs maybe once a week?
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score
    Timebomb - I`m new on this forum and next time i will end with my real name, Cosmin is my real name !

For - Lyon Goh - Thankyou for the advice, i will try like u said.

How many eggs will be in a week? 3 males with 7 females ?

(sorry for my english)

M. Cosmin

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by killie_cosmin
    How many eggs will be in a week? 3 males with 7 females?
    Hello Cosmin,

Welcome to the forum. How many eggs are you able to collect weekly will depend on the mood of your fishes.
    With 3 males and 7 females, looks like you going to have good collection of eggs weekly, provided they don’t spent most of the time fighting to be in the breeding bowl.
    Good luck to you! :wink:
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    I separete oane male because he was fighting with another male very badly, and put him in another tank with Fp Gardneri, Now i wiil let the peat oane week and after i wiill change it with another peat ..it`s ok ?

what i have to do with the peat after i take from tank? put in bags? what is the prces step by step?

M. Cosmin

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by killie_cosmin
    what i have to do with the peat after i take from tank? put in bags? what is the prces step by step?
    Hello Cosmin,

Dont worry about the male fighting with one another, it's very common among them. You need to replace new peat mosses after collecting the existing one and regarding the step by step method on how you keep them, please click onto the link for more information.. :wink:
    http://www.killies.com/Collecting1.htm
    http://www.killies.com/Incubating.htm
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    I read carefuly, after a week i will try the first metod step by step, Tks lily
    4 the 2 links..... ( Christina can be very distracting, i think for those who read the article above)

M.Cosmin

Feedback Score
    Anyone have any info on the following species egg and when to wet them?

A. nigripinnis Noeva Palmira
    A. nigripinnis villa soviano
    A. .nigripinnis cavmelo

Thank in advance

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Kho,
    Info on when to wet the eggs are just a guide, over here, my guess is a month. Some eggs just failed to develope after a long flight , others will be ready much earlier than stated. Best bet is to check for eyed-up eggs. If possible, wet only those ready. Sometimes, clear eggs 'melted' after 1st wetting .

Cosmin,
    I'll make 3 breeding tanks with 1 male to 2 females each tank(last tank 3 females) to get the most eggs out of them. Not sure if the "mass orgies " method works as the males are quite agressive to each other.
    Mr Au, who is very experience on that, what's your say? .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turaco
    Kho,
    Info on when to wet the eggs are just a guide, over here, my guess is a month. Some eggs just failed to develope after a long flight , others will be ready much earlier than stated. Best bet is to check for eyed-up eggs. If possible, wet only those ready. Sometimes, clear eggs 'melted' after 1st wetting .
    I ride on this thread that is nearly a year ago. :-(

Thanks for the info Gan.

I will do selective picking of the eye up egg.

What you experience are quite true I have Notho egg melt the same way.
    But yesterday I pickup and eyed up egg that is already 3 months old and throw into the peat water it hatch over the night, I am so happy.

BTW, you wanna have a package of the same species to breed since I have 3 x bags of different location code.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Mr Au, who is very experience on that, what's your say? .
    Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply...

I've kept them for a while and my experience in also quote limited.

I'll usually breed them in groups. But you must raise them together when hatch. This will reduce aggressiveness on the males towards each other.

As for the wetting of the eggs, as what Gan had suggested. Just wet those eye-up eggs. The incubation should be about 8 weeks (this does not apply to eggs shipped in from overseas). Somehow the eggs are very sensitive. They can just disintegrated within the peat without any valid reason.

As for breeding them, use a glass container. I realise that amony all the rest of the killifish that I came across, the NGP would somehow be able to see the glass and they can find their way in and out of the container without any problem. Being able to see form the outside, this will encourage them to spawn. :wink:

How that this helps.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Anyone have any info on the following species egg and when to wet them?

A. nigripinnis Noeva Palmira
    A. nigripinnis villa soviano
    A. .nigripinnis cavmelo
    Aus. nigripinnis takes between 6 and 12 weeks to eye up at 24°C. It is best to watch the eggs develop and wet them when you see the gold ring around the eye. In Singapore (where it is very hot) the eggs will develop much faster and this will also reduce the hatching window for the eggs. So you have to keep an eye on them!

When wetting the peat use water of temperature about 15 to 18°C else you will get very many belly-sliders. Redry the peat and wet again a few weeks alter. The odds are you will get a bigger hatch.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by shortman
    BTW, you wanna have a package of the same species to breed since I have 3 x bags of different location code.
    Kho, Thanks for the offer . Will be most willing if you worry about having too many little mouths to feed.

Feedback Score
    Will be most willing if you worry about having too many little mouths to feed.
    I am quite worry now having so many species of the same and too many mouths to feed. If I being wipe up for any reason we still have a back up.

Will pass to Ronnie and you can pickup for him.

Thank you very much

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by shortman
    I am quite worry now having so many species of the same and too many mouths to feed.
    Worry?

Many thanks to a member of this forum, I received 4 bags of Austrolebias eggs from Bulgaria today. I have:

Austrolebias nigripinnis "Villa Soriano"
    Austrolebias duraznensis CXD 001
    Austrolebias alexandrii "San Javier"
    Austrolebias charrua "Ruta 9 km. 345" Chuy

I think I got the market for Austrolebias sp cornered .

Some eggs were already eyed-up so I wetted them just now. Hope there will be fry soon. Here's a picture of an egg that isn't ready.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Austrolebias duraznensis CXD 001
    For the record, this name is invalid (according to Huber it is nomem nudum). It is now regarded as being Aus. affinis.

tt

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I forgot to mention just now that for the eggs that weren't ready, I repacked them using Esther's Peat :smile:.

If you remember Esther, the master Killifish breeder I gave her a trio of chocolate Aphyosemion australes last week and last night, she gave me back 50 eggs in return. And to prove that her success with the orange australes was no fluke, Esther now has about a hundred fry of the chocolate australes too. All in about a week. She's an amazing woman, this Esther. I tremble in her presence

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by TyroneGenade
    For the record, this name is invalid (according to Huber it is nomem nudum). It is now regarded as being Aus. affinis.
    Thanks for the info, Tyrone. So is it okay to call them A. affinis CXD 001? If the species name is changed, does the collection code still apply?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    KL, the code still applies.

I do remember it being A. duraznensis La Cordobesa CXD 001. Since Dr Huber thinks duraznensis is a nomen nudum*, you could just remember it as A. sp. "La Cordobesa" CXD 001.

:wink:

*invalid taxa
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast