Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Can i combine Fp gardneri with Aphyoseimon Australe ?

Feedback Score

Can i combine Fp gardneri with Aphyoseimon Australe ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    The eggs will be fertlized? , the young fish will be sterile?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Can i combine Fp gardneri with Aphyoseimon Australe ?

Welcome to the forum, killie_cosmin. How's the weather in Rumania?

I don't know if the eggs will be sterile or fertilised but I don't think it's a good idea to keep Fp gardneri with Aphy australes. For one thing, the gardneri's are aggressive fishes and they will bite off the tails of the australes. For another, it's not a good idea to cross-breed killies. Generally, killifish breeders like to keep the species pure and some are so particular they won't even inter-breed killies that are of the same species but with different collection codes.

Killifish breeders can sometimes be a touchy lot. If they know you are cross-breeding killies deliberately, they are likely to get upset. Here's an excerpt from the AKA (American Killifish Association) which briefly states why we shouldn't cross-breed killies.

It is the policy of the American Killifish Association to discourage hybridization except for scientific and research purposes. The organization believes that the fishes should remain as they are in nature and that hobbyists should not intentionally change color patterns, form, or identity. Every member of the AKA is urged to maintain this policy.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Thankyou for the response timebomb

In romania now the wather is bad +10 C Whinter is comming

I just ask, and if i will try ----just for scientific and research purposes! and after i will write an articol about that.

In romania i try to find a male of australe but i didn`t find any to buy... and i have to femmels from 2 eggs from someoane in Hungary.

I need to subscaibe to an asociation of killies but one for free, do u know an association to let me subscribe for free?

(sorry 4 my english )

M. Cosmin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello Cosmin,

Welcome to the forum. It's a friendly place here, where people know each other by their real names. I hope you'll enjoy your stay and find the answers to your questions.

You are unlikely to get any viable or fertilized eggs when matching Fundulopanchax with Aphyosemion.

When I first started killie keeping a few years back, I didn't have enough tanks and had both fishes in the same tank; male australe+ female gardneri. The larger male australe did try to mate with the gardneri but all the eggs were fungicised, thus no frys.

That was before I knew better and didn't have any killie friends. No sensible killie keeper would have done that!

I for one, would now actively discourage such activities and any known attempts here, by members, here will be frowned upon... there is simply no reason for 'not knowing', given the growing numbers of killie keepers who are willing to share their knowledge and experience.

Killifish discussion group and forums are usually free, but associations like the AKA offer paid annual subscriptions.

There's no need to apologise for your command of the English language since I don't think it's your mother tongue (what's the language spoken in Romania? Hungarian?).

If I ignore the wrongly spelt words, I can understand you just fine, so don't worry about it. However, I would suggest using a online spell-checker before you submit your posts. I tried the following links and the checker is quite decent;
    http://spellcheck.freeurl.com/
    http://www.grammarstation.com/
    http://www.spellonline.com/

By the way, how did you manage to find this forum?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Cosmin,

I forgot to add my favourite spelling-checker. It comes in very handy, even for me! :wink:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Tks for your advice RonWill, First i whant to tell u the language spoken in Romania is romanian not hungary , the procentaje is Romanian 80% , 7 % hungarian and other 13% ....., and i sow the eggs ( Fp gardery -male+ Aphy Australe- female are not good ) and i stoped the experiment

In romania are verry little breeders of killies, just some friends, i whant to make an asociation of killies, and try to make this fishes more knows in romania....for the moment i don`t have that kind of money to pay the subscription of other asociations but i have frineds who help me some with eggs some with advice some with materials..

M.Cosmin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by killie_cosmin
    Tks for your advice RonWill
    You can call me Ronnie and thanks Cosmin for the language tip.

In romania are verry little breeders of killies, just some friends, i whant to make an asociation of killies, and try to make this fishes more knows in romania....
    I think it will take more people to make an association but for a start, you should group your killie-friends together to keep the interest alive.

Here in Singapore, killifishes are slowly gaining popularity and this forum started with only a few people. It takes time for these things to happen.

for the moment i don`t have that kind of money to pay the subscription of other asociations but i have frineds who help me some with eggs some with advice some with materials..
    The forumers here are mostly working people and students, so we don't have lots of extra money either. Take care of whatever killies you have now and when the weather gets better, and if you are still here by summer, perhaps forumers here can exchange killie eggs. This would be the best way of introducing new species to your country.

Can we know what killifishes you and your friends are maintaining now?
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    For one thing, the gardneri's are aggressive fishes and they will bite off the tails of the australes
    Darn. I would have liked to keep them together.
    I have a 40liter tank, and was planning on a killie community tank with only australe and gardneri(the two species that can be found in finland in the shops).

I figured that since they are in a different genus that they wouldn't cross.

Feedback Score
    GAR and AUS will interbreed and produce viable offspring.
    Col Scheel studied the results and found that GAR will be the dominate factor
    in the crossings. He photographed numerous examples of what the offspring look like.
    The fry have the so called "hybrid vigour" in their favor.
    While very interesting any resulting fish should not be allowed
    to enter the hobby to prevent serious problems in the future.
    Al Baldwin
    AKA 00120

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Baldwin
    GAR and AUS will interbreed and produce viable offspring.
    Col Scheel studied the results and found that GAR will be the dominate factor
    in the crossings. He photographed numerous examples of what the offspring look like.
    The fry have the so called "hybrid vigour" in their favor.
    While very interesting any resulting fish should not be allowed
    to enter the hobby to prevent serious problems in the future.
    Can you post a link to the pics and article.
    I found and read the "letters" this morning, but i didn't find any information on are the fry fertile or not

I ques i'll settle for one of the species. Would be nice to have different kinds of aphyosemion-type fishes in the aquarium with both lines clean

Feedback Score
    Look in Col Scheel's book "Rivulins Of The Old World".
    If memory serves me correctly some of the crossing pictures were posted to the web years ago and cannot be traced easily.
    Al Baldwin
    AKA 00120