Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Teck Song,

I'm not sure if the Downoi is a cold water plant but my gut feeling is that it won't mind high temperatures. The thing I'm sure about is that you must never put it into new water. For some strange reason, the Downoi is very sensitive to new water. It will melt if you change too much water at one go. The other thing I learnt about the Downoi is that you mustn't use ADA soil. It doesn't like acidic conditions.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Some fishes seem to enjoy the leave of the Downoi also. Mine is left with stem only.

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    The other thing I learnt about the Downoi is that you mustn't use ADA soil. It doesn't like acidic conditions.

Loh K L
    Hi Loh K L,

I would like to challenge that statement. My Downoi is growing very well in ADA soil. They grow to twice its height in 3 weeks. I am using ADA powersand mixed with Bacter 100 and ADA aquasoil amazonia. Lights is at 72W at 20G. I did not check the water parameters as the plants are growing very well. Dosing is done once a week with a few drops of seachem flourish.

Cheers
    Vincent

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Be it ADA aquasoil, flourite, JBL aquabasis or whatever substrate you use, it does not run from the fact that plants need light, CO2 and nutrients (N,P,K, traces and GH) to grow well. Miss one of those factors and plants slow down or die.

Regards
    Peter Gwee :wink:

Feedback Score
    Does this plant benefit from hard water? If so, this may be the plant for me .

I am curious, why is Downoi so sensitive to new water? From a first look, I would never suspect Downoi to melt. It is probably because the leaves remind me of the tough leaves of the Crinum species. My only thought it that it may be similar to Cryptocorynes, melting their leaves when drastic changes occur. Has anything similar happened with a change in lighting, water movement or moving the plant around? Someone should go on a field trip to its natural habitat and post some information!
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    I just bought a single stem of Downoi a few days ago and planted it in my Erect Moss tank. The substrate is Eco-Complete. pH is about 6.7, and gh and kh are at about 7, as the Eco-Complete buffers. I know it has been said here that the Eco-Complete substrate is inert, and the buffers are in the liquid it comes in, but this tank has had the equivalent of several complete water changes over the several months it has been set up, and I have not had to add any gh or kh builders, and my tap water has a gh and kh of less than one, so I have to disagree with the statement that the buffers are in the water the Eco-Complete is packed in.

The Downoi is growing. Hopefully, I can propagate it.

I wonder if growing Downoi in a kh of 0 makes it more sensitive to the larger water changes?
    Regards,
    David Grim

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by tanVincent
    I would like to challenge that statement. My Downoi is growing very well in ADA soil.
    Vincent,

As far as I know, the ADA soil comes in 2 colours. One is brown and the other is grey or something. Which one are you using? I had a discussion about this plant with some guys I met in Eco-culture and they all said that the Downoi will melt if it's grown in the brown ADA soil but not in the grey one. I can testify that one of my Downoi's melted when I tried to grow it in brown ADA soil.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by discusdave
    I just bought a single stem of Downoi a few days ago and planted it in my Erect Moss tank.
    The Downoi has reached the USA? Did it cost a bomb, Dave?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Vincent,

As far as I know, the ADA soil comes in 2 colours. One is brown and the other is grey or something. Which one are you using?
    Hi Loh K L,

I am using the black ADA soil.

Is there a difference in composition between the 3 colours? I once asked Mr Chan from NA regarding their differences and he just old me that only the colour is different and perhaps the size of the gravel.

Would someone please enlighten?

CHeers
    Vincent

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by tanVincent
    I am using the black ADA soil.
    That explains it. When I was in Eco, a few of them confirmed that if brown ADA soil is used, the Downoi will melt but one of the guys mentioned he was using a different coloured ADA soil and he didn't have any problems.

I don't know what's different about the 3 colours, Vincent but apparently, there's a difference.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    (snip)
    The Downoi has reached the USA? Did it cost a bomb, Dave?
    (snip)

Kwek Leong,
    I got this stem from a guy in Hawaii who got it from someone in Singapore who posts here at Killies.com. I decided to try it because of the lesser problems with customs and shipping time since it was sent in the US postal system.

Let me just say that this was the single most expensive aquarium plant I have ever purchased, hehehe! I got into a bidding war with someone over it and the price went to $51 US and $17 US Express Mail shipping.

I had been selling some plants I pulled from my tanks, and had a decent PayPal balance, so it was found money anyways. I usually don't bother with selling extra plants just because I don't have a lot of time to do it.

Time will tell if I wasted my money or not. I'm sure I can recoup my expenses if I can grow and sell some.
    Regards,
    David Grim

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mr Loh, I can tell you can grow any plants in aquasoil as long as you keep up on the nutrients which it seems some do and some don't. My personal experience with aquasoil way back sometime ago was that it drops both KH and GH pretty low initially(in my case less than 1dH for both). Plants need the Ca and Mg as nutrients to grow...with both nutrient concentration dropping that low can limit the plant real bad. Without doing something about it, the plant would simply slow down or die which is the case what the folks at eco-culture are experiencing. Try to get the GH up to 3 or above and see if the downoi can survive in the malaya or africana one whichever you are referring to.

Regards
    Peter Gwee :wink:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fc
    HI,

I think i sort of agree with the findings from that site.

I did a small experiment, I placed 2 crypts from the same pot in 2 types of gravel. One in black ADA and the other brown. The brown ones melted within days while the balck ones is still growing strong. There might be other factors involved like lights and plants around the crypts but i think the soil does plays a big part in it.

CHeers
    Vincent

Feedback Score
    i just bought a pot of it.

http://www.chuisui.com/viewthread.php?tid=643
    i am using ADA soil also Amazon too.

Just setup on Sat.

hope it is ok.

20 gallon (2x1.5x1)
    Aquaz T5H0 2 x 24 watts 6500K
    Running on cooling fan 26-27 temp
    Eheim 2215.
    Co2
    ADA power sand, etc etc

Feedback Score
    Country
    Thailand
    I stay in Thailand.I have a lot of Downoi .
    Who interest can contract me -->[email protected]

Feedback Score
    Thanks Thainum.

However, to spread the news further, for those living in Malaysia, you should be able to get Downoi from these shop.

Subang area = Natural Aquatic
    Klang = Han Yang

These Downoi are from Tropica. Per pot should have about 15 - 25 stalks (Big and Small).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Jerry,

BTW How big is the pot? And you sure it was from Tropica?

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pohsan
    Hi Jerry,

BTW How big is the pot? And you sure it was from Tropica?

Regards,
    Ong Poh San
    Poh San.

Don't mind me asking... how do you know that it is a Tropica plants does the leaf has Tropica logo? I'm not guessing here but the pot I bought has Tropica logo embossed and a Tag with Tropica logo printed on it. It is a regular size pot! Comparing to the cut stalks a friend of mine bought from S'pore for SGD20 (RM50 ++) per stalk, Tropica Downoi pot is by far cry cheaper. If a pot of Tropica Downoi has 10 stalks for RM75 then it is only RM7.50 per stalk. Whether it is Tropica or not RM7.50 for Downoi is cheap (at least for me).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Jerry, your post was repeated 8 times in a row. I've deleted the extra posts.

But you got that right, the same plant at a lower price.. doesn't really matter if its from Tropica or not.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast