Thread: downoi

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I read through the posts again and I noticed Freddy said "Biotope". Are we talking about the same fish shop, Freddy? It's the one opposite my block, just across the street. That's Bioplast. Biotope is somewhere in Bukit Merah and it so happens I was there just 2 nights ago. They have many varieties of mosses but no Downoi's.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Loh,

What's do you feed your downoi? I tried solid iron from both Azoo and ADA but doesn't seems to work? Aside from growing in volume they grow in quantity. Like rabbits!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    I read through the posts again and I noticed Freddy said "Biotope". Are we talking about the same fish shop, Freddy?
    Typo error! I was refering to Bioplast, the shop near you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryC
    Loh,

What's do you feed your downoi? I tried solid iron from both Azoo and ADA but doesn't seems to work? Aside from growing in volume they grow in quantity. Like rabbits!
    Jerry, I would imagine you would be happy to have such a problem

I don't feed the Downoi's anything special. What I have under the substrate in my main tank is JBL base fertiliser. It seems to work fine for the Downoi's which were propagating well for a while. Besides being prone to melting, it seems like the Downoi's are also prone to withering. All my Downoi's began to wither and shrink when I transferred them into another tank with ADA soil as a substrate. It could be due to the change in substrate but over the last couple of months, many hobbyists tell me that their Downoi's began to wither in the tank although nothing was changed. In Teos' farm, all his Downoi's were withering too when he was growing them submersed. That was the main reason he switched to growing them emersed.

It could be, like some mosses, the Downoi isn't a genuine aquatic plant. It may be able to grow underwater for a while but over long periods, they could wither and die. I'm just guessing, of course.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    My downoi have been growing fine, ever since I got them(1 year ago?). No sign of withering. Most likely the withering is due to a change in water conditions.

Jack

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    I would love to acquire some downoi when I go back to Malaysia this year end. JerryC mentioned that its available in Subang, but the price for me is still a bit too steep. Besides, I dont think I need that many stems, just one or two to try out. I'm willing to trade with anyone for stem plants that I have. Maybe of interest are Potamogeton stellata (broad leaf), Eusteralis sp. (see http://www.pbase.com/plantella/image/27803703) and Myriophyllum matagroense. The Eusteralis sp. I bought it unidentified in Sydney, and to date the closest match I've seen is Oliver Knott's page.

Thanks everyone and pm me if anyone is interested for an exchange.

Min

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Anyone grow the downoi without the CO2? I am using the land plant fertilizer which is in green color and stated as N15 P15 K15. And mixed with some chicken organic fert. It growing nice n big. But gonna insert the fertilizer deep inside the gravel. Once it explored in the water. You gonna face a very serious algae problem.
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    I have grow them in low fert, no CO2 injection tank, light 3 wpg. It can grow, thin and tall. No problem
    Best Regards,
    Teh FL

Feedback Score
    Hi,
    If you would like to see the Discus and Pogostemun Helferi , in the same tank go to

http://www.acquariforum.com/forum/sh...0928#post60928

Regards
    Luciano[/img]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That's a magnificent tank, Luciano. Is it yours? Whoever owns that tank, he or she is one accomplished aquatic gardener.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    That's a magnificent tank, Luciano. Is it yours? Whoever owns that tank, he or she is one accomplished aquatic gardener.

Loh K L
    Hi

Yes , it is the tank I have in my house!!!

Thanks for your appreciation!!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciano
    I take my hat off to you, Luciano. Your tank is truly beautiful. Anyone who can grow aquatic plants like the way you do deserves all the plants he can get. Let me know how I can help you to make the tank look even better. Would you like to have some Narrow Leaf Java Ferns? Or a stalk of Hygrophilia balsamica? What about the various mosses? Just let me have your mailing address and I'll send the plants to you.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    I take my hat off to you, Luciano. Your tank is truly beautiful. Anyone who can grow aquatic plants like the way you do deserves all the plants he can get. Let me know how I can help you to make the tank look even better. Would you like to have some Narrow Leaf Java Ferns? Or a stalk of Hygrophilia balsamica? What about the various mosses? Just let me have your mailing address and I'll send the plants to you.

Loh K L
    Hi
    Loh K L
    Thank your appreciation

I'm still thinking about it . Thank you very much for that.

In the meanwhile if you want to see another tank (small!!! 20x20x18H cm.) with P. Helferi have a look on the... http://www.acquariforum.com/forum/sh...9&page=4&pp=20..
    this tank is done with Walstad Diana tecnique.... it is very very particular

Do you know a place where to buy a Ricchardia spp (mini_ pelia) in Singapore?

Ciao!!!
    Luciano

Feedback Score
    Hi Luciano,

I just got some Mini Pellia (Riccardi sp.) last week from a guy named Adrian in Singapore. It arrived in great shape and looks just like the pictures on this site. I have bought many mosses from him over the last couple weeks, and I will be doing more business with him in the future. He sells on AquaBid.com. His name on there is "adriansg". He has some Mini Pellia listed there right now:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...nts&1137373835

You can also email him if there's something that you want that isn't listed.

One thing I never realized from the pictures on Killies.com, is that the Mini Pellia is very small! Especially compared to Monoselenium, it should be called Micro Pellia
    ----------------------
    Craig

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Tropica has an article on the plant now: here

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Do you know a place where to buy a Ricchardia spp (mini_ pelia) in Singapore?
    I'm afraid I can't help you with the Mini-Pellia, Luciano. As far as I know, only one local fish shop sells this plant - Bioplast fish shop. I have a bit of the Mini-Pellia in my tanks but the amount is so small I can't send any to you. Your best chance would be to get it from aquabid like Craig did. Sellers ask for sky-high prices when the plant in new in the hobby so I think it's wiser to wait a while for prices to come down.

Budak, thanks for the link. I'm glad Tropica paid tribute to Nonn Panitvong and his friend, Arthit Prasartkul by highlighting the fact that these 2 were the ones who introduced the plant to the hobby.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by budak
    Tropica has an article on the plant now: here
    Hi budak....

I read this article... it's very good!!!

I wrote a simple article too; it has been published in an italian magazine where I reported my experience with P. Helferi...
    The link I gave you yesterday shows you a tank I have in my house ... I did it four weeks ago....

Thank you for the information on where to find MiniPelia....

Feedback Score

P. Helferi my love

Hi

In the meanwhile if you want to see another my tank http://www.acquariofacile.it/forum/t...64&whichpage=2 ,

This tank is 30gal..... and it contains also a particular moss spp. , picked in Italy.

ciao

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234