Country
    Singapore

Cichilds of Lake Tanganikan

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, fellas,

I'm sure you are wondering why a topic about Cichilds is doing in a killifish forum. But killifish lovers are generally fish lovers too so I thought some of you may be interested in this.

Jennifer Ooi who lives in Penang, Malaysia sent me a VCD about the Cichilds of Lake Tanganikan a few days ago. Thanks, Jennifer. The documentary is called "Jewels of the Rift". I saw the CD twice and I must say it's very very interesting. The life cycles and behaviour of Cichilds are very fascinating. There are such things as tranvestite fish (males disgusing themselves as females), fish who are kidnappers and fish that practise oral sex. Incredible but true!!

If any of you would like to watch the VCD, raise your hand and I will pass it to you during the gathering. First come, first served. The one who is the first to respond to this post gets to watch the CD first but it will be his responsibility to pass it to the second guy after he has finished watching it.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    * withdrawal of post *

Feedback Score
    I am interested to watch the VCD.
    Regards
    Lu RongSheng (RS)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwek Leong
    There are such things as tranvestite fish (males disgusing themselves as females), fish who are kidnappers and fish that practise oral sex. Incredible but true!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pohsan
    * withdrawal of post *
    Poh San, I hope you understand that there's a penalty for premature withdrawal! (just kiddin' :wink: )

I'm in no hurry but it'd be interesting to look at the biotopes of these cichlids.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    well for starters, it's Lake Tanganyika not Tanganikan. Tanganikan in Malay practically means Fish Hand. haha

the other rift lake is Lake Malawi and these two lakes have very different piscine fauna. about transvestive cichlids, these are usually sleeper males or subdominant males. in some species, they start out in life as females and develop into functional spawning males later in life. the presence of a dominant male and female in a group usually prevents these "she-males" from developing into fully functional spawning adults. once a dominant fish is eaten by a larger predator or dies from natural causes, the next dominant "she-male" develops into either sex. this has been seen in marine wrasses and even clownfish and damselfish.

robbery is pretty common in the cichlid world. but the most odd of all is this particular synodontis catfish called synodontis multipunctatus, which practically sneaks in when the cichlids are spawning and laying their eggs together with the cichlids. this causes the cichlids to take up their eggs and incubate them in the mouth. the hatching catfish fry usually hatch earlier than the cichlid fry and start devouring the cichlid eggs when they're still in the momma's broodpouch. they're known as the cuckoos of the fish world.

and oral sex? haha, it's not just confined to cichlids. even corydoras do it. and thats how they fertilise their eggs, by using the movement of their gills, they practically fan out the spermatozoa into the water around the egg being laid in their fin pouch.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry for the withdrawal . I actually wanted to delete the post but there is no delete post button available.

I would like to watch the video but I am not so free until mid of December. Hope that the queue is not too long at that time.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys,

I was told that it's a National Geographic production and there are some very good footage there.

Saw the film at Cichlids Forever during their new shop opening last time and I must say that it's definitely worth your time. Synodontis multipunctatus' unique breeding technique is featured in this film too.

Too bad this wonderful feature isn't available for home video/VCD/DVD release except in Taiwan. Shame.

Cheers,