Thread: Combining Aphyosemion Males

Feedback Score

Combining Aphyosemion Males

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,

Is it alright to combine males of different Aphyosemion species, if they are of about the same size? I am currently keeping two male Aphyosemions, A. bitaeniatum and A. striatum, in a two feet tank along with some clown killies and lampeyes. The male Aphyosemions flare a bit though, and I am afraid they might start fin-biting or something although I have not observed any signs of it yet.
    Yours sincerely,
    Chong Ren

(I am still desperately looking for pairs of different Aphyosemion species. If anybody has excess to sell, please email me. )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Combining Aphyosemion Males

Quote Originally Posted by CR
    Is it alright to combine males of different Aphyosemion species, if they are of about the same size? I am currently keeping two male Aphyosemions, A. bitaeniatum and A. striatum, in a two feet tank along with some clown killies and lampeyes. The male Aphyosemions flare a bit though, and I am afraid they might start fin-biting or something although I have not observed any signs of it yet.
    Chong Ren, I have in one of the tanks, a mixed-pot of sorts. There's a few male BIV Funge, AUS Gold and even BIT Lagos. Females are kept in their own harlem as I too, am afraid of a mix-up.

The AUS and BIT are about the same size but are more display friendly than the BIV, even though they are larger... about 2 inches.

Fin-nipping is more likely within their own kind but in another tank, where I have AUS Chocolate and my son's guppies, the AUS gives the gups a regular crew-cut!

Flaring between males is nice to watch and it's about the only time that I get to see the most beautiful colors, or the best of each species!

The clowns killies will probably miss most of the action since they're 'way up there' near the surface.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee