Country
    Singapore

Non killie- Spotted Blue-eye fry

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Sometime back these pretty little fish were on sale at Choong Sua LFS & I managed to get some males & females for my planted tank. Somehow, the male, which is the much prettier one, went missing one by one . I decided to isolated my last male with 3 females in a plastic tank & feed heavily on bbs to induce sprawning. After a couple of weeks, I got eggs! Once fertile, the egg looks 'black'. Isolating the eggs in hatching tray like the way we keep our killie fry, they hatched in a week time. The fry is dark & tiny as compare to australe fry. From the pic below, you can see its 'blue eye'. This is a 3 day old Spotted Blue-eye, Pseudomugil gertrudae. I couldn't get a pic of the adult yet as they are just too fast for my lousy photo skill . Enjoy..

http://sg.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...udae+fry+3.jpg

Gan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Non killie- Spotted Blue-eye fry

Quote Originally Posted by turaco
    ... After a couple of weeks, I got eggs! Once fertile, the egg looks 'black'. Isolating the eggs in hatching tray like the way we keep our killie fry, they hatched in a week time. The fry is dark & tiny as compare to australe fry. From the pic below, you can see its 'blue eye'. This is a 3 day old Spotted Blue-eye, Pseudomugil gertrudae.
    Gan, how small/large are the eggs? That's a nice shot of the fry and how many are swimming in the tank now?

I couldn't get a pic of the adult yet as they are just too fast for my lousy photo skill
    That's why you need a photo tank!! It's for people with slow-reflexes and toy cameras

I'll post up the "Photo Tank" page when completed... believe me... it makes ALOT of difference!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie,
    The eggs are slightly smaller than the australe. BIG egg if to compare egg to adult fish! There are about 6 fry in the hatching tray. I caught 1 in the parents tank today. More eggs collected. Quite an easy fish to breed. The only problem is the small fry, unable to take bbs. That is not a problem as I've already got the MWC from you plus the ever-lasting vinegar eel..

Gan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by turaco
    The eggs are slightly smaller than the australe. BIG egg if to compare egg to adult fish! There are about 6 fry in the hatching tray. I caught 1 in the parents tank today. More eggs collected. Quite an easy fish to breed. The only problem is the small fry, unable to take bbs. That is not a problem as I've already got the MWC from you plus the ever-lasting vinegar eel..
    Gan, sounds like fun to me! I've 5 young fishes that aren't mature yet but I'll try breeding them again. I'm glad you found the MWC handy... it's really indispensible when you're dealing with tiny tiny frys.

... and here's the 'photo tank' I mentioned earlier.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Gan, that's a cute little bugger u got there. maybe next time when u've got more offspring u can pass some to me.. of course for a price that is. haha! besides, i don't think these tiny rainbows can wreck havoc like their cousin the Neon Dwarf Rainbow - Melanotaenia praecox did the last time i had any rainbows.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    i don't think these tiny rainbows can wreck havoc like their cousin the Neon Dwarf Rainbow - Melanotaenia praecox did the last time i had any rainbows.
    I'm observing a much friendlier relationship between killies and Pseudomugil gertrudae, than with White Cloud Minnows. WCMs are aggressive eaters and while they'll draw out the shy killies with their frenzy, most food is consumed before the slower killies get their share.

Jian Yang, it would be interesting to note that young killies and young Blue eyes grow at about the same rate and make excellent companions.

No prizes for guessing what I'll be breeding next! :wink:
    Ronnie Lee