Thread: Hatching Brine Shrimps

Feedback Score

Hatching Brine Shrimps

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Killie friends,
    I gained a lot of new knowledge reading the "Brine Shrimp Hatchery" and "Decapsulating Brine Shrimp Eggs". Thanks to Kwek Leong & Sia Meng for sharing their experiences with us.

I used to hatch brine shrimp eggs for goldfish frys and it took more than a day depending on the salinity of the solution.

I have some queries and anyone with answers, kindly drop a note.

1. Where can I buy a 1-way gang valve?

2. What changes occured to the brine shrimp eggs when they are stored at room temperature (as opposed to storing in the fridge) such that they take longer to hatch or don't even hatch?

3. In the 2 articles mentioned above, it was stated that some fish shops sell eggs that never hatch. Can anyone recommend any fish shops that sells "good quality" eggs that usually will hatch given the right condition?
    And if it is ok to reveal names of fish shops that sell "eggs that don't hatch", please let me know too.

4. What is a turkey baster?

5. Do local fish shops sell brine shrimp net specifically as opposed to a normal fish net?

6. How long can the decapsulated eggs be stored in the fridge before they die off, if they do die off?

Thanks.
    Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hatching Brine Shrimps

Quote Originally Posted by Felix Wong
    I have some queries and anyone with answers, kindly drop a note.

Most LFS have them. It's usually made from metal, with a valve at one end and threaded at the other.

2. What changes occured to the brine shrimp eggs when they are stored at room temperature (as opposed to storing in the fridge) such that they take longer to hatch or don't even hatch?
    I suspect it's the humidity that makes the BBS eggs think it's time to hatch, but then there's no water!!

3. In the 2 articles mentioned above, it was stated that some fish shops sell eggs that never hatch. Can anyone recommend any fish shops that sells "good quality" eggs that usually will hatch given the right condition?
    And if it is ok to reveal names of fish shops that sell "eggs that don't hatch", please let me know too.
    Quality BBS eggs, in film canisters, were sold at the gathering. You were probably too busy looking at the fishes and missed the BBS! :wink:

How could you have missed THAT? Did you see Sia Meng using a mother of a eye-dropper?... THAT's a turkey baster!

5. Do local fish shops sell brine shrimp net specifically as opposed to a normal fish net?
    Filter through a fine-knit men's hankerchief and save the money on BBS instead.

6. How long can the decapsulated eggs be stored in the fridge before they die off, if they do die off?
    I use mine up before the eggs go bad... so someone else will have to answer this
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score

Re: Hatching Brine Shrimps

Most of the fish shop in Singapore should carry it so it shouldn't be a problem accquiring it.

I'm not very sure if there's a direct effect on the incubating duration whether it is stored in room temperature or in the frigde.

i think i can is that although the little brine shrimps is in a state of suspended animation, there's still very very little biological activity going on inside the cyst. Thus, although very slow, the content inside the cyst will still eventually become less viable.

That's when the low temperature comes in. Under low temperature, the biological activity slows down, with this, the span of the cyst can be kept longer.

If you are looking for small quantity in every purchase, u can try JBL brand Artemia Cyst or u can ask fellow forumers here whether they have any on sales. where as for larger quantity ones, i suggest those from some reliable brands from USA or Germany that is of quality will be good. I'm not very farmiliar with any particular brands so u have to ask the forumers here.

here's a picture. It's like a giant dropper.
    [img][/img]
    >_< cannot link the pictures again....

Some do carry (but i only seen once) alternatively u can try those plastic coffee filter net or man's handerchief. i'm now using my dad's hanky as the holes is small enough not to allow baby brine shrimp to go through. here's a picture
    [img][/img]
    same for this.... i'll try to get it up.

Personally i haven't tried to decap brine shrimp or even use decap brine shrimp. so i can't comment on this.

I hope it helps

Angel
    ****I Love My Fishies!!! Looking at them just makes me happy...****

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    decap eggs shouldn't last as long as normal eggs because they've lost their chorion, or eggshell. this eggshell protects the developing shrimp from the elements and by removing it you are practically stripping the protective nature of the eggshell. as a result, the decap eggs are more subsceptible to environmental factors like temperature and the like.

therefore, one should only decap the eggs as and when needed as the process is pretty simple, as outlined by Sia Meng in the article on the webby. storage of the eggs should be kept to a minimum period of perhaps a few weeks and i recommend that the decap eggs be used for hatching or for direct feeding ASAP.

just my views. :wink:
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Ronnie, now that you mentioned that the turkey baster looks like a big dropper (mother of a eye-dropper), Yes, I remember seeing it at the gathering. :wink:

Angelin, thanks too for your advice & your pictures. It helps a lot. Can you teach me how to attach a picture in the email like you did?

Jian Yang, appreciate your views. Agree that decap. eggs should be used or consumed asap.

Felix

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix Wong
    Angelin, thanks too for your advice & your pictures. It helps a lot. Can you teach me how to attach a picture in the email like you did?
    hi,

sure~! no problem ^_^

actually it's quite easy, as long as u can load your pictures into a suitable web hoster. some host like geocities don't allow users to post the link the pictures out to other webapges. that's why i kept getting broken image in the previous postings.

here's the guide

http://www.killies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=200
    http://www.killies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=214

hope these helps

Angel
    ****I Love My Fishies!!! Looking at them just makes me happy...****