Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Aphy BIT Lagos... what shit is this?!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Aphy BIT Lagos... what shit is this?!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear all,

When Desmond (looloo) visited my fish rack this morning and drooled over the killies, we observed something that we couldn't figure out... whether it's a worm, intestinal disorder/indigestion or....??

Larger pic here.

If it's a suspected case of worm infestation, please suggest treatment or medication.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ronnie,

Looks more like a growth than a worm infestation. I don't think you can treat it with medication if it's a growth.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Ron,
    I have had fish with worms,and they didn't look like that! If seems to me that it is a growth or perhaps a prolapsed egg tract.I know this sounds weird,but our hens sometimes have a similar look( the white growth that is ) when they have a prolapsed egg tract. With the hens there is nothing you can do.
    Is the fish eating?
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've been looking at my topic heading and it just dawned on me that it sounds very crude. Apologies if anyone don't take well to it but that was the only concern on my mind.

Thanks Benny and Deb for the observations, but pardon my ignorance... what is a 'prolapsed egg tract'?

I've a pair of midget chicken* at home but I still don't know what this tract is. (* The Malay word for this species of chicken is "katek ayam", meaning short chicken... literally!)

I'll be paying close attention to this particular female and see what comes out of it.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This tube leads from the ovaries of the female. Sometimes in female cichlids u can see this tube like thing coming out. Thats called an ovipositor (or egg depositor). This, in my understanding is what they mean by egg tract (channel for the eggs to move from the ovaries until they're extruded by the female).

hopefully i got it right! :wink:

Ronnie, another thing, it's Ayam Katek not Katek Ayam :P
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Deb, your hens can still be save by surgery involving the pushing in of the cloacal(vent) & stitch around it till it regain it's muscle control. Something to be done by a vet.
    Ronnie, it look more like a growth, an ovipositor can't be that big isn't it? Don't think you can do anything about it.

Gan.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Gan, look closely, there's a white roundish thing being surrounded by a lightly clouded greyish hued thing. The white roundish thing looks like a dead egg to me. Perhaps this is what you would refer to as egg-binding. It occurs in some fishes whereby the egg is not fully extruded or the female herself is unable to extrude the egg whereby they are stuck at the egg tract or ovipositor. This results in the egg dying and rotting within her or stuck to her and this condition will ultimately bring the female to her death.

Ronnie, my recommendation would be to catch the fish and try to remove the whitish thing by manual means. Be careful as the fish will wiggle around. Drape a soft towel around the fish and immediately begin the removal of the "growth". Do it as quickly as possible. Return the fish to a separate hospital tank for it to recuperate. Observe the fish for the next few days. (Note: Its quite risky so it's up to you to decide)

Alternatively, separate the fish to a hospital tank and observe closely for the next few days.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    NO!!! Don’t touch it!! You might kill it. My female GAR had a white worm sticking on her lip. I dosed flubendazole (a dewormer for cattle and horse, also use for treatment of velvet and hydra)and after a few days the worm was gone. I was surprised to see tons of eggs (together with shit as well ) were flushed out as well.

If what Stormhwark said about the fungus egg being stuck at the egg tract or ovipositor was true, flubendazole should do the trick by flushing out the eggs.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Pardon me, but the fish in the picture looked bloated.

Best of luck to you, Ronnie.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turaco
    Deb, your hens can still be save by surgery involving the pushing in of the cloacal(vent) & stitch around it till it regain it's muscle control. Something to be done by a vet.
    Thanks, Gan, I guess I should have said that we have to remove those hens to put them out of misery.We have over 17,000 hens and 1,400 roosters. The vet only worries about worms,mites or disease.In 10 months time we produce 9,000,000 eggs for hatching.
    Ronnie, "Good luck" with the little fish!
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbbear
    We have over 17,000 hens and 1,400 roosters.
    WOW!!! Deb, I'm getting very curious here... are you folks running a chicken farm or what?!

I was out yesterday with some buddies buying aquatic plants and we passed by this chicken farm, which I believe is a major supplier of fresh eggs locally. It had numerous rows of multiple-tier cages, stacked almost 20 feet high and the blooming place was very 'aromatic'!

In 10 months time we produce 9,000,000 eggs for hatching.
    I could be wrong, but I was incubating my chicken egg at 39º Celsius (~102º Fahrenheit) and my kids were rolling the egg a couple of times a day but nothing came out of it! Am I missing something? BTW, how do you roll that many eggs??

urhm... back on topic... Did a 70% water change for that Lagos tank and added a few drops of aloe vera sap (which is laxative in nature).

Earlier, when I wanted to remove the female for further examination, I couldn't find that 'piece of sh*t'... and she's eating well again.

I can't find that thingie and don't really know what caused it but if she's pressing her face against the glass asking for food, I guess she's alright now.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Glad to hear that the little fish is eating well and the "thingie" has disappeared! Leave it up to a killie to have all of us scratching our heads and puzzled as to what is wrong,then to reappear fit and hungry.
    And, yes we have a chicken farm We don't have the hens in cages,they need to mingle in with the roosters :wink: We also don't hatch the eggs on our farm, they go to a hatchery. With hatching eggs the humidity is very important,without moisture the eggs do not do well.
    Ronnie,If you would like to see how we do things send me your email address.Be glad to send you some pictures,to put them on the homepage would be a big big pain!
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175