Country
    Singapore

Erect, Christmas & Java Moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

Poh San wrote me the other day and he said that a friend of his had the Erect Moss in his tanks but thought they were Java. Frankly, I'm a bit doubtful. Erect Moss costs a lot more than Java so it's highly unlikely that anyone here in Singapore would have the Erect Moss in his tanks but aren't aware of it.

Anyway, I took several pictures of the various mosses in my tanks to show you all how easily Java can easily be mistaken for Erect.

Both the plants in the above picture are Erect Moss. But the one on the left is grown poorly. It was taken from my tank when it was growing in a place where there wasn't much light. The other frond is grown much better and was taken from the piece of driftwood in my tank where it was exposed to much more light.

Both the plants in the above picture are Christmas Moss. The one on the left is grown poorly (under poor light). The one on the right was taken from my Moss Wall. It's triangular shape is very distinct when the Christmas Moss is grown well.

The 3 mosses in the above picture, from left to right, are Erect, Christmas and Java.

The moss on the left is Erect (grown poorly). It looks like Java Moss (the one on the right).

The moss on the left and middle are both Erect Mosses. The left one is grown well and the middle one, poorly. Java is the one on the right.

By the way, folks, if you want to grow the mosses well, you mustn't have adult SAEs in your tank. Adult SAEs won't gobble up all the moss but they will eat new growth. So your moss will never grow if there are SAEs in your tank.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    KL,

As usual, you put a very educational piece of article here.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Thanks a lot Mr. Loh
    Keep trying!!

K. Sitthiprasert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Many thanks to Mr Loh to point out the difference of the Java and Erect moss. Not to miss the opportunity, I have bought a pack of Erect during the gathering too. Too bad that I have not yet tied the moss to the draft wood to experience the "upward growing" effect of the erect moss. As for the Java, I made good use of them - I keep them in the breeding and fry tank!

Feedback Score
    Yes, thanks for the very interesting pictures. Do you happen to know if the mosses differ greatly in appearance emmersed? Also does anyone know the true origins of the mosses and their natural habitats?
    Cheers
    Tony

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tony,

I'm not sure of their origins but the Christmas Moss were imported into Singapore from Taiwan. As for the Erect, I read on another forum that a local fish shop owner brought them home from Germany.

I've been on some nature walks and I've seen mosses growing on the sides of streams that flow down from hills. In Singapore, there are no mountains, only hills. The streams are generally well-shaded by trees and the water in the streams are very cold.

I've not tried growing the Erect emmersed but now that you have asked such a question, maybe I will try to do that. Christmas grows easily in emmersed form but loses its triangular shapes. I would suppose it would be the same with Erect. The Chinese name for the Erect Moss, when translated into English, sounds something like "Phoenix's Tail".

Loh K L