Country
    Singapore

Failed force hatch

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear all,

For those who're familiar with force hatching, we often take it for granted as it looks just like a little opaque dot and we dump it away as if nothing has happened.

Newbies might wanna know that force hatching is a method used to aid the fry in breaking out from it's shell, be it hardened from dye agents or perhaps a weaker fry that doesn't have the strength.

Some will put the well-developed and dued eggs in a film canister, blow CO2 into it and carry it around. Others like Kwek Leong, will do the 'funky chicken' until he see the hatchling (a newly hatched bird, amphibian, fish, or reptile).

Microworms are sometimes added and I'm guessing that these worms releases the CO2 and softens the shell or chorion.

In case anyone wondered how a failed force hatch looked like, up close and personal, this is one of the 3 Aphyosemion primigenium "Kanda" eggs that didn't make it.

Kwek Leong know about these 3 eggs... I showed it to him while collecting my refilled CO2 cylinder.

Failed force hatch

Those with soft spots, please refrain from looking at the big picture.

These Aphyosemion primigenium "Kanda" eggs are Tom's contribution to our gathering. The earlier batch wetted by Kwek Leong gave a healthy count of 20 frys while the 2nd boxed peat, yielded 4.

Sometimes, I don't understand why it doesn't work the same way...

Nonetheless, it's a heartache to actually witness an unborn fry losing the battle and I don't have 'satay stick' skills... something that I'll need to learn from Lily.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie, seems like your using microworms to force hatch the eggs! I personally still prefer to do the 'funky chicken' way when force hatching eggs. It's cleaner that way. :wink:
    Au SL