Country
    Singapore

Hemianthus Callitrichoides

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello everyone,

where can I get some Hemianthus Callitrichoides? Missed out on it at Aquarama... If lets say I ordered from Far East Aquatic how much would one pot cost?
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hemianthus Callitrichoides

Karin Leow of Far East Aquatic told me in a teleconversation recently that she will be bringing in more Tropica plants soon. I think she said something about the end of this week but I can't be sure. The last time I saw her selling the Hemianthus callitrichoides, it was going for $15 a pot.

If you like to find out more, call Karin at 63833733.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    If anyone of you has not tried Tropical Plants, I think you are missing something. The quality of their plants are superb!! Nice and well establish roots! Definitely value for money.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Yes, i agree, coming from the UK there are a lot of lfs that distribute tropica plants. They are always healthy, you get a good amount of plants per pot and, I find easy to establish. I think they are great value for money. Tropica even supply some of the rarer plants that we in the UK cannot get. I have even seen for sale and bought some narrow leaf java fern. It was however a much larger variety to the version Loh K L has in his pictures. Anyway, my point is if you can get a regular supplier of Tropica plants, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
    Cheers
    TONY

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just popped by Karin's place last weekend and saw the HC. Simply gorgeous I tell you!

Anyway, I'm shelving my plans for a hairgrass lawn for the HC if this HC is "growable" in our climate, i.e., no need for cold/chilly temperature. Not willing to invest in a chiller, that's why.

So, anyone in the tropics who's tried growing HC with plenty of success, please share any tips...would be much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I won't say that my Hemianthus callitrichoides is growing with great success but I am quite happy with the fact that the plant has starts to spread out thinly. On the left side of the tank is a small stalk of downoi and on the rightmost is the erect moss ( which I haven't plan how to display them). All of these are my proud collections which I got it from the gathering.

On the right of the Downoi is Shinnersia rivularis 'Weiss-Grün' from Tropica. It is a very beautiful plant but the information is very limited either from the information tag or Tropica site.

My tank parameter is as follows:
    1) Substrate : Seachem Flourite
    2) Temperature: Fan cooled - 28 Degree C.
    3) Fertilizer: Seachem Flourish
    4) Bioload : 3 otos and around 20 cherry and yamato shrimps.
    5) CO2 supply: Pressurized tank at 1 bubble per second

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    NIce tank, Poh San. But I've heard that the Hemianthus callitrichoides sold by Tropica are in emmersed form so they may melt if you plant them straight into the tank.

Here's a pic of the Hemianthus callitrichoides up close for those who haven't seen the plant before.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear Mr Loh,
    I am not to sure of this but when I saw it in Karin's shop, the plant is already keep in the water. I simply throw it into my tank with the pot and plant it after a few days when I am free. The plant actually started to bubble one or two hours later!

I don't have the patience to plant Hemianthus callitrichoides with tweezer like what I did for glosso. At the end, I only managed to complete half of the pot and divided the rest into 2, spread them thinly and weight them down with graval.

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Poh San,

I heard/seen the Seachem Flourite but do not really know much about it. Is it the same as NA Aquasoil on how they are layed (without the need to mix with fresh gravel)?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... Maybe I will go down to Karin's to get the HC one of these days. Can afford to get a few pots of it since the ERS is in.

Came back from Bangkok last week. I really enjoyed myself but I couldn't find the downnoi. Finally saw a small one in a display tank. I had to practically beg the owner to sell it to me. Of course it didn't help that I could only speak a few words in Thai.
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear Freddy,
    I have not experience on aquasoil so I can't tell you if they are the same. But Florite is really a good stuff to me. All my plants fluorish and I can see that the roots are very well established.

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Freddy,
    Flourite is a product from Seachem which is highly recommended by Thomas Barr himself as a substrate (high iron clay and the only thing that is needed in a substrate really) where NA aquasoil is from ADA (Amano's company product...). Hope that helps...

Regards
    Peter Gwee :wink:

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Poh San and Peter,

Thanks. I wish to know how they are used, do you use them alone (as base fert and substrate), just like NA Aquasoil?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I planned to use 100% flourite but I couldn't acheive the required substrate thickness of 5cm so I mixed them with bit of normal aquarium sand at the ratio of maybe one part of sand to 5 part of flourite. Later, I found that it is actually better because the size of the flourite bite is quite large. Adding bit of finer sand actually enable small plant likes Hemianthus callitrichoides to root properly.

I would said that the worst part of using Flourite is to wash them. It is like washing your army uniform you worn for the field camp.

There is a thread in AQ discussing about flourite. I am sorry that some SMS English was used in my early posting. On page 2 of the thread, there is link to "how to wash flourite" posted by ... you! Peter

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/phpBB...787&highlight=

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Flourite is/has been very popular here in the United States. However, more and more aquarists are abandoning Flourite for Carib Sea's Eco-Complete, a much better product IMHO.

Here's an interview with Seachem about Flourite.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I heard of Eco-complete. Unfortunately, it is not available in Singapore.

Feedback Score
    this is a really nice plant which i seem from a picture when it mature and grow it become furry or look like a sponge , should be going down to far east at simon road tomorro
    alan aka zai jin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    With regards to the blurb on eco-complete, I'm not sure about the biotope in other parts of south-east asia, but in Singapore most places have bright brown substrate, probably due to high iron content. See the following pic which is from the Nee Soon Freshwater Swamp in Singapore.

why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi HW,

Nice Pic. BTW, what is Hexazone (your pic's watermark) means?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fc
    Hi HW,

what is Hexazone (your pic's watermark) means?
    Hi Freddy,

One of the most beautiful fishes native to Singapore is the six banded barb, Systomus johorensis which was previously known as Puntius hexazona. For my photo-ID archive, we are branding it “hexazona” to signify an emphasis on the beautiful native fishes of South-east Asia. :wink:

why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast